What Bath & Body Thing Have You Done Today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I need to restock my solid conditioner bars, and plan to try the horsetail grass extract. But I'm dithering on the usage rate. Any suggestions? Here is the blurb from their website:

This extract is ULTRA concentrated and is actually 10 times the concentration of our original Horsetail Grass Extract. A little will go a very long way!

Why use horsetail grass extract? Horsetail Grass Extract is an astringent, healing, texturizer, elasticizer, high in silica, adds strength & sheen to hair, and is good for the skin.

Where should you use Horsetail Grass Extract? Try it in a hair conditioner, split end treatment, products to prevent hair loss and greasy hair, nail strengthener, moisturizing body cream, creams to prevent wrinkles and ointments.

Usage rates are generally 0.1 to 10%. We use up to 1% in the liquid bases like shampoo and conditioner and 2 to 4 % in massage oils. Under extreme conditions, we can see the usage as high as 10%, but not as a daily care product.

EDIT: I want the strength and sheen, but don't need the astringency. So I'm thinking 1% max?
I don't have the horsetail extract but, generally, I use the extracts at 1% in hair products.

Sounds good, thanks! I am going to make a very, very small batch. I do have dry hair, so the astringent nature of it may not work for me. But if not, my daughter's hair tends to be a bit oilier, and she'd probably love it.

After the horsetail extract, I plan to try the soapwort extract in a mini lotion batch. Here is their blurb about that one:

Moisturized, soothed, conditioned, and anti-inflammatory benefits are claimed for this herb over the centuries. We think soapwort adds a dewy, velvety finish to the skin when used in lotions, creams, hair care, and more!

Usage rates for this oil-soluble extract are generally 0.1 to 10%. We use up to 1% in the liquid bases like shampoo and conditioner and 2 to 4 % in massage oils. Under extreme conditions, we can see the usage as high as 10%, but only for indulgent personal care.

I sure hope so! I was doing so well with mine until I left on vacation. Two weeks of being too hot to put on any lotion, and two long plane flights later, and I had significant regression.:( I just got back to applying it consistently this week, and am again seeing improvement. I hope you do, too!!

my post was removed to its own thread 🤷🏼‍♀️ I assumed that this thread was for sharing what you've done today and photos. sorry if I've done something wrong?

unsure where I'm supposed to post photos now?

My formulating focus for the last week has been trying to complete unit of work on aerosol formulations (really struggling with this unit🤦🏼‍♀️) and getting ready for scary internship interview on 18th via zoom. never done a zoom interview before!

Specifically today, I got to wear new customised labcoat (woohoo for small excitements).

I also formulated some azelaic acid foaming cream cleanser.
Along with azelaic acid it has some milkthistle, and gentian extracts. It has a few humectants HA, Zinc PCA, Sucrose, Sorbitol etc. It also has some sea kelp bioferment. I used Sodium Methyl Cocoyl Taurate as my main surf. it feels creamy and has decent foam.

oh i also formulated a new lip balm with Hyaluronic acid liposomes and tamanu oil. Hopefully healing and lip plumping.

no photos so my post doesn't get removed 😂

@Misschief I love Susan. She's been a massive help for me. Love that formula too.
I've been playing with a green balm that is vegan - so no lanolin but it was from that cuticle balm that spurred me to try. I've got FMS so hoping that tamanu oil will help. But it's quite similar to the lecithin and swapping lanolin for Bis-Diglyceryl Polyacyladipate-2 (vegan alternative for lanolin), tamanu instead of hazelnut, Carnauba Wax instead of beeswax (using 80% of 12% beeswax - 9.6% and adding 2.4% more mango butter). I really enjoy lecithin. it's an interesting ingredient.

@AliOop
I use horsetail extract at 2%

I actually mix horsetail, horse chestnut, bamboo, helichrysum and burdock root at 20% each.

Of this extract I then use 5% in shampoo and rinse off conditioner.

I have a leave in conditioner that's an intensive conditioner that uses 10%

I've seen it used 3.2% in a hair rinse.

I have superfine hair (lots of it though - typical lioness), sometimes oily scalp that is prone to breakouts (although this has improved over the last 12 months of trial and error).

Hi @Juggsy,
Thanks for the info about how you use horsetail, and about your own hair needs. That helps me determine a baseline, if you will, to compare to what I’m making (solid conditioner bars), as well as my hair needs (very dry, very thick, low porosity, and 2a to 3b waves and curls). Since horsetail can be astringent, I can see where 2% might be good for your needs, and where starting at 1% may be a better choice for me. I made zero products this weekend, so perhaps this week I’ll finally get to using it!

There was a post further up about pictures being allowed in any thread. I’d recommend reaching out in a PM to the moderators for clarification. They are all volunteers so it can take a day or two, but they will get back to you and are so helpful, IME.

Last edited:
Up early making small 2kg batch of retinol and ceramide facial moisturiser. just bottled 10 x 100g tubes and 5 x 200g tubes.

Just have to print labels now...

These are all accounted for. I was just waiting on an order for seabuckthorn and more tubes to formulate. Biotubes are out of stock, waiting on them. Hope they arrive soon. I much prefer the matte look and the fact they can go in compost!

Meadowfoam Seed, Seabuckthorn, Papaya, and Squalane are the oils used.
Rose & Chamomile hydrosols give it a lovely scent.

it's super hydrating. I do two ceramide face creams one with retinol palmitate and one with niacinamide.

I use a gel cream (i prefer the hydrogels) with retinol for myself as well as niacinamide and NAG serum.

22-08-09_10-37-56-718.jpg

22-08-09_10-34-38-635.jpg

Now back onto course work. 💪🏽

Last edited by a moderator:
my post was removed to its own thread 🤷🏼‍♀️ I assumed that this thread was for sharing what you've done today and photos. sorry if I've done something wrong?
Your post is post no.229 in this thread. I moved it back from the Photo Gallery which I moved it to initially as it was in the wrong forum.

I have a few things that need labeling. From front to back: (in the tins) Lanolin & Lecithin Cuticle Balm, (in the bags) OMH Bubbling Bath Salt, (in the black bottles) Tropical Paradise B3/B5 Hyaluronic Acid Serum, and, at the back, OMH Goat Milk & Honey Hand & Body Lotion. I also have a couple of batches of soap that need shrink wrapping and labeling.

As well, I still plan on making some Menthol Foot Cream and some Menthol Foot Scrub before my next market on Aug. 21. I only make small batches these days as my market is down to one day a month.

time to label.png

Soooooo. Today I made conditioner bars. Pulled out all the stops and used my pricey new baobab oil, which is supposed to be wonderful for dry curly hair. Even added dimethicone, which I usually skip, but I received some in a destash, so why not? And I even made a bigger batch than normal, because, why not?

I also incorporated an update to the DIY B&B conditioner bars, which calls for using Olivem 1000 instead of some of the glycerin. Only it was supposed to be Olivem 300.... which I didn't notice till I was cleaning up and reviewing the recipe notes. I sure hope that these still work as conditioner bars, or lotion bars, or something, because there are too many expensive ingredients in these to toss them.

PS - at least they smell really good: a blend of rosemary, tea tree, peppermint, and patchouli EOs, with some Bamboo Mint FO to cut down on the medicinal smell. Sounds weird but I really like it.

Conditioner Bars.jpeg

Yesterday while visiting the Ozark Folk Center State Park, I noticed the price of the lotion bars the soapmaker was selling were priced $10.00. Her soap was only $4.00 per bar, so I was quite surprised by that $10.00 price tag. Is that normally what they go for? I must admit, I've never really looked. Maybe her lotion bars were larger than normal, though. I kind of expect them to be much smaller than a bar of soap, but they were about the same size as her $4.00 bars. I think the bars are about 4 ounces, but I'm not really sure, as she doesn't include the weight on the label.

Yesterday while visiting the Ozark Folk Center State Park, I noticed the price of the lotion bars the soapmaker was selling were priced $10.00. Her soap was only $4.00 per bar, so I was quite surprised by that $10.00 price tag. Is that normally what they go for? I must admit, I've never really looked. Maybe her lotion bars were larger than normal, though. I kind of expect them to be much smaller than a bar of soap, but they were about the same size as her $4.00 bars. I think the bars are about 4 ounces, but I'm not really sure, as she doesn't include the weight on the label.
I've been too busy to sell lately, and being in FL I have restrictions on selling bath and body stuff. But I sell my soaps for $8. I wouldn't sell for less, except deals like 3/$20. So I think they are shorting themselves on the soaps.

From recipes that I have seen, lotion bars are pretty cheap to make and way less time consuming, so I am assuming they are dipping into the label appeal. Guess they are making one a bargain and selling the label appeal. Shorting themselves on the one, to market the other. I dunno.

Personally I think homemade soaps are timeless. And its a necessity on one hand, and a craft on the other if you are making "art" out of soap. I guess when I get back into selling again (or even making for that matter at this point), that I will probably sell my easy peasy one color one scent soaps for a little less than my artisan type soaps. My time is worth money. I can do a simple soap in an hour, the other ones might take days with planning etc.

But I forget who said it to me when I was freaking out one time about not having enough soaps on my tables to look full after I potentially sold a bunch. She said to me "just throw together some lotion bars to put out to bulk up your table"...without her knowing the florida situation about not being able to sell lotion bars.

I bought a lotion bar once, and personally I hated it. It came in a tin that you had to keep taking out and using. I mean, it felt nice, but taking it in and out of the tin kinda was weird. Unless I was using it wrong. It didn't come with instructions LOL. But that one was only like $5 from what I remember. And this was from a company that also sold soaps for $8.

There was another thread here that mentioned lotion bars for $17. I guess it all depends on the size, the ingredients, and of course, what the local market views as acceptable. Personally, I like lotion bars for traveling (no leakage, and doesn't have to go in the liquids bag), but I do prefer regular lotion at home.

The exception is that I do keep a lotion bar at my home office desk in the winter. I'm often in online meetings that drag on forever, or waiting in the online queue for an hour or more for the court to call a client's case. That's when I'll grab a lotion bar to quickly relieve dry hands or heels. I may also be stretching, lifting weights, folding laundry, or cruising SMF, but I digress...

A couple of my friends were converted to lotion bar fanatics after trying some of @Zing's recipe. One of them in particular let me know that she cannot ever be without these again during the winter season. She's had cracked and bleeding skin every year since she can remember, and the lotion bar was the only thing that relieved this.

UPDATE ON CONDITIONER BARS: This morning they feel pretty firm. They definitely don't melt as easily to the touch as my original recipe. I'll have to try one in the shower next time I wash my hair, but my sense is that they may be a bit draggy. If that is the case, I will remelt and add a bit more oil and/or BTMS 50 to see if they will loosen up. Another good case for making very small batches when experimenting!!

Speaking of which, last night was apparently mad scientist experimentation night. After the conditioner bar mess-up, I pulled out a half-full bucket of Stephenson's Jelly Soap Base. The grandsons liked making it one time, and then they were done with it. For a long time the thought had been to make sugar scrubs with it. So, I played around with whipping in some DIY B&B foaming bath butter base, sugar, colorant, and scent.

It feels wonderful for washing: scrubby, foaming, and a moisturizing finish. Unfortunately, it is a marshmallow creme consistency -- way too sticky for easy removal from the container. One cookie-shaped lump was left out overnight to see if it would dry up enough to become like a bubble-scoop. It is drier but still too tacky. I will try baking one in the oven to attempt a dry cookie-type of bath scrub, and will also try adding more of the foaming bath base to attempt more of a traditional scrub that can be more easily scooped out of the container.

Last edited:
My Lotion Bars sell at $10.00 each because of the oils and how long they last. A 2oz round bar in a metal tin, will last 2 months, using it 4 times a day. This is way more than my daughter uses it for her dry, patchy skin. yes my soaps go for $5.00 each, they are 4oz and will last 6 months if used daily for showering.

There was another thread here that mentioned lotion bars for $17. I guess it all depends on the size, the ingredients, and of course, what the local market views as acceptable. Personally, I like lotion bars for traveling (no leakage, and doesn't have to go in the liquids bag), but I do prefer regular lotion at home.

The exception is that I do keep a lotion bar at my home office desk in the winter. I'm often in online meetings that drag on forever, or waiting in the online queue for an hour or more for the court to call a client's case. That's when I'll grab a lotion bar to quickly relieve dry hands or heels. I may also be stretching, lifting weights, folding laundry, or cruising SMF, but I digress...

A couple of my friends were converted to lotion bar fanatics after trying some of @Zing's recipe. One of them in particular let me know that she cannot ever be without these again during the winter season. She's had cracked and bleeding skin every year since she can remember, and the lotion bar was the only thing that relieved this.

UPDATE ON CONDITIONER BARS: This morning they feel pretty firm. They definitely don't melt as easily to the touch as my original recipe. I'll have to try one in the shower next time I wash my hair, but my sense is that they may be a bit draggy. If that is the case, I will remelt and add a bit more oil and/or BTMS 50 to see if they will loosen up. Another good case for making very small batches when experimenting!!

Speaking of which, last night was apparently mad scientist experimentation night. After the conditioner bar mess-up, I pulled out a half-full bucket of Stephenson's Jelly Soap Base. The grandsons liked making it one time, and then they were done with it. For a long time the thought had been to make sugar scrubs with it. So, I played around with whipping in some DIY B&B foaming bath butter base, sugar, colorant, and scent.

It feels wonderful for washing: scrubby, foaming, and a moisturizing finish. Unfortunately, it is a marshmallow creme consistency -- way too sticky for easy removal from the container. One cookie-shaped lump was left out overnight to see if it would dry up enough to become like a bubble-scoop. It is drier but still too tacky. I will try baking one in the oven to attempt a dry cookie-type of bath scrub, and will also try adding more of the foaming bath base to attempt more of a traditional scrub that can be more easily scooped out of the container.
Oh. My. Lord. This totally makes my day!!

Back