What Bath & Body Thing Have You Done Today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made some shampoo bars yesterday. Red Ginger and Saffron FO from Candle Science. Sooooo good. IMG_7333.jpegIMG_7336.jpeg

From Marie at Humblebee & Me:

If you are making a liquid product with Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate (SCI), it will need to be dissolved in a suitable solvent first. Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate (SCI) does not dissolve readily into water; I once combined some Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate (SCI) with water in a jar, sealed it, and left it for 6 months. It never dissolved. I recommend combining it with the liquid amphoteric surfactant that is likely also present in the recipe and heating the two together in a water bath until you have a uniform paste. That paste will dissolve into water.
Ahhhh! Thank you for this find. I've been attempting a body wash formula from a reputable YTuber and have not for the life of me get the SCI to dissolve. Making note for when I get back to this experiment. It will be a minute because I'm going back to the drawing board on my conditioner bar. I was using BTMS-25 and sal butter (plus the usual conditioner bar suspects) - but then I don't know what happened, the price at NDA sky rocketed, so I switched suppliers. After six months (stored in a soap room only fridge) the sal butter started to stink badly. Supplier told me it had a short shelf life, which was never an issue with what I got at NDA, so I suspect their stock was old before it got to me. I really wasn't happy with any of the other butters I was trying out in my recipe. I decided to go back to NDA despite the price, and they no longer carry Sal Butter at all. I'm going back to the drawing board and reformulating the whole mess. Long story short: Fixing what I broke so I can't play with body wash or bath bombs.

Latest posts

Back