What are your top 3 favorite soft oils and why?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As it happens, olive oil is one of the best oils you can use to remove makeup. It even dissolves waterproof mascara. :thumbs:

There is also this recipe which I duped from a similar DHC product that is one of their best sellers: ;)

DEEP CLEANSING OIL
What?! OO removes waterproof mascara?! Is there no end to your wisdom? I think you need to write a book! Again, THANKS FOR SHARING! I have been purchasing an OVERPRICED product from Clinique for my DD to remove H2O proof mascara that she insists on wearing. 🥰
🤗2U!

Hey Soaplizard! I’m still very new to soap making myself, but I’ve had good results with canola oil. My oldest canola oil soap is only 4 1/2 months old, but it shows no signs of DOS. Canola is inexpensive, helps make a white bar and has a decent balance between oleic and linoleic fatty acids. I use it at 20% or less and it doesn’t send my linoleic value sky rocketing. Sometimes I even partially substitute sunflower oil because the canola isn’t getting my linoleic as high as I’d like. Canola might be worth incorporating into your experiments even though it seems to be a less popular oil.

What?! OO removes waterproof mascara?! Is there no end to your wisdom? I think you need to write a book! Again, THANKS FOR SHARING! I have been purchasing an OVERPRICED product from Clinique for my DD to remove H2O proof mascara that she insists on wearing. 🥰
🤗2U!
I invite you all to join me:
To @Zany_in_CO:
Write that book! Write that book! [I can't hear you, louder please]. Write that book!

I invite you all to join me:
To @Zany_in_CO:
Write that book! Write that book! [I can't hear you, louder please]. Write that book!
🥰 I was literally walking around my kitchen after that post thinking about HOW to help make that happen. Then thought I’m surely crazy. Glad to know I’m not crazy. Just 😜 for hunting/finding Zany nuggets of wisdom!

...when we're superfatting... aren't we left with a soap that has extra oils?...

A bit OT, but I wanted to respond to this thought --

Yes, superfat is extra fat that is technically not saponified. But I think the usual assumption is all the superfat in a soap actually remains on the skin and that's not accurate.

Only a small amount of superfat actually does that if you superfat at typical levels. Not enough to replace the need for lotion or other leave-on moisturizer if you have dry skin.

Most of the superfat bonds with the soap molecules, just like natural fats from the skin, when the soap is mixed with water. This combination forms a water-based emulsion. This emulsion largely washes away when you rinse the skin, which means the fats go down the drain, not stay on your skin.

It's more useful to think of superfat as an ingredient that reduces the cleansing ability and any potential harshness of a particular soap.

If your soap is already mild to the skin and already a gentle cleanser due to your choice of fats, there's not a lot of reason to raise the superfat to make it milder yet. The main result of using a higher superfat in an already gentle, mild soap is to reduce the amount of lather.

If you actually want a significant amount of superfat to stick to the skin, you'll need to raise the superfat amount a lot higher than I hear most people say they use when this info is shared on this forum (not counting salt bars). Some say the fashion in Europe is for a much higher superfat even in regular bath soap, so YMMV if you look outside SMF for info about superfat amounts.

One person who briefly posted on SMF some months ago said they made soap that I calculated had around 50% superfat. The poster said it left visible traces of fat on the skin. So it's possible to superfat enough to leave an obvious amount of fat on the skin. But the usual superfat levels mentioned here aren't high enough to do that.

What?! OO removes waterproof mascara?! Is there no end to your wisdom?
In that light, here's another TIP: Olive oil will remove ballpoint pen ink from a silk blouse. I learned that to be true when I found a silk blouse, with a 1-2" ink mark on the sleeve, on sale for 75% off. Came right out by rubbing straight olive oil with the mark between my fingers until it dissolved. Then I hand washed and air-dried it. No sign of the ink mark. 😁

As it happens, olive oil is one of the best oils you can use to remove makeup. It even dissolves waterproof mascara. :thumbs:

There is also this recipe which I duped from a similar DHC product that is one of their best sellers: ;)

DEEP CLEANSING OIL
I've known that, despite mostly not wearing makeup (I found that out removing a matte lipstick I never worn again). I'm also aware of DHC. Good products but extremely pricey, at least when I tried them.

Latest posts

Back