What are Your Safety Procedures?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I admit that I don't always use a mask when making lye, but I always do when working with mica....does anyone else consider mica inhalation to be an issue?

Just about the only things I do that I didn't see in Earlene's excellent post:
  • I always keep my head well away from the container as I mix it... as a newbie I once inhaled a bunch of fumes while I peered over my container.
  • I use a long, stainless steel bartender's spoon to stir and keep stirring until my solution is entirely clear.
For goodness sake about the lye spillage first aid... please read a MSDS. Here's one: http://www.labchem.com/tools/msds/msds/LC23900.pdf

Section 4 first Aid Measures

First-aid measures general : Check the vital functions. Unconscious: maintain adequate airway and respiration. Respiratory arrest: artificial respiration or oxygen. Cardiac arrest: perform resuscitation. Victim conscious with laboured breathing: half-seated. Victim in shock: on his back with legs slightly raised. Vomiting: prevent asphyxia/aspiration pneumonia. Prevent cooling by covering the victim (no warming up). Keep watching the victim. Give psychological aid. Keep the victim calm, avoid physical strain. Depending on the victim's condition: doctor/hospital.

First-aid measures after inhalation : Remove the victim into fresh air. Respiratory problems: consult a doctor/medical service.

First-aid measures after skin contact : Wipe off dry product from skin. Remove clothing before washing. Wash immediately with lots of water (15 minutes)/shower. Do not apply (chemical) neutralizing agents. Do not remove clothing if it sticks to the skin. Cover wounds with sterile bandage. Consult a doctor/medical service. If burned surface > 10%: take victim to hospital.

First-aid measures after eye contact : Rinse immediately with plenty of water for 15 minutes. Remove contact lenses, if present and easy to do. Continue rinsing. Do not apply neutralizing agents. Take victim to an ophthalmologist.

First-aid measures after ingestion :
Rinse mouth with water. Immediately after ingestion: give lots of water to drink. Do not induce vomiting. Do not give activated charcoal. Do not give chemical antidote. Immediately consult a doctor/medical service. Call Poison Information Centre (www.big.be/antigif.htm). Ingestion of large quantities: immediately to hospital. Take the container/vomit to the doctor/hospital.

Just about the only things I do that I didn't see in Earlene's excellent post:
  • I always keep my head well away from the container as I mix it... as a newbie I once inhaled a bunch of fumes while I peered over my container.
  • I use a long, stainless steel bartender's spoon to stir and keep stirring until my solution is entirely clear.
For goodness sake about the lye spillage first aid... please read a MSDS. Here's one: http://www.labchem.com/tools/msds/msds/LC23900.pdf

Section 4 first Aid Measures

First-aid measures general : Check the vital functions. Unconscious: maintain adequate airway and respiration. Respiratory arrest: artificial respiration or oxygen. Cardiac arrest: perform resuscitation. Victim conscious with laboured breathing: half-seated. Victim in shock: on his back with legs slightly raised. Vomiting: prevent asphyxia/aspiration pneumonia. Prevent cooling by covering the victim (no warming up). Keep watching the victim. Give psychological aid. Keep the victim calm, avoid physical strain. Depending on the victim's condition: doctor/hospital.

First-aid measures after inhalation : Remove the victim into fresh air. Respiratory problems: consult a doctor/medical service.

First-aid measures after skin contact : Wipe off dry product from skin. Remove clothing before washing. Wash immediately with lots of water (15 minutes)/shower. Do not apply (chemical) neutralizing agents. Do not remove clothing if it sticks to the skin. Cover wounds with sterile bandage. Consult a doctor/medical service. If burned surface > 10%: take victim to hospital.

First-aid measures after eye contact : Rinse immediately with plenty of water for 15 minutes. Remove contact lenses, if present and easy to do. Continue rinsing. Do not apply neutralizing agents. Take victim to an ophthalmologist.

First-aid measures after ingestion :
Rinse mouth with water. Immediately after ingestion: give lots of water to drink. Do not induce vomiting. Do not give activated charcoal. Do not give chemical antidote. Immediately consult a doctor/medical service. Call Poison Information Centre (www.big.be/antigif.htm). Ingestion of large quantities: immediately to hospital. Take the container/vomit to the doctor/hospital.
that is a great excerpt. Especially for when you are mixing up 1Kg of lye at a single time. Those fumes are potent stuff...

It's true, you said you neutralize with vinegar and in the next breath, that you rub coconut oil on your skin. But you didn't say you neutralize your skin with vinegar.
However, if your ratios are accurate (and I don't doubt you) why on earth would anyone pour 4L of vinegar over a surface rather than mopping up the 126g of lye? Seems like a mechanical clean up is easier than a chemical one, in this case.
Vinegar is making less and less sense...except on fries of course!
you wouldn't... That was just some math to show how ridiculous the argument that vinegar and lye heat up actually is.

I DO like to clean countertops and equipment at the end of the workday with an acid based cleaner to make sure any possible residual lye is neutralized. A precaution.

Last edited by a moderator:
Several of us here have made vinegar lye solution for soap (for Sodium Acetate to harden soap). It does heat up quite a bit, same as lye in water. Quite possibly a bit hotter, when adding the extra NaOH to account for the neutralizing affect of the lye/vinegar mix.

For details about how much vinegar it takes to neutralize lye so as not to increase the desired SF of soap, see this: https://classicbells.com/soap/aceticAcid.html

Of course, the same safety precautions should be used as when mixing any other type of lye solution.

@earlene and @MGM, @DeeAnna's website proves my point. It takes A LOT of vinegar to neutralize lye and is best for cleaning any residual caustic material in the work space. I have unfortunately cleaned more than one piece of equipment and gotten all the soap off and have still gotten zapped by it the next morning.

Hopefully @DeeAnna can chime in. This is the point where I start looking for her posts and I just learned today that she has a PhD in chemistry. I assume the answer is 'as long as it is clean', but vinegar still helps me out.

https://cpsc.gov/Recalls/2003/cpsc-...-recall-of-candle-and-soap-making-for-dummies

"
WASHINGTON, D.C. - The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission announces the following recall in voluntary cooperation with the firm below. Consumers should stop using recalled products immediately unless otherwise instructed. It is illegal to resell or attempt to resell a recalled consumer product.

Name of product: "Candle and Soap Making For Dummies" Book

Units: 5,400

Manufacturer: John Wiley & Sons Inc., of Hoboken, N.J.

Hazard: The instructions in the book for making lye combine sodium hydroxide and water in an incorrect order. This could cause the mixture to bubble over, posing a burn hazard to consumers."

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Back