What are your favourite oils to apply directly to your skin?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been interested in skincare for many years, much longer than I have been soap-making. For a few years, I've really enjoyed applying oils directly to my skin for an extra boost of hydration!

My favourites are sea buckthorn, meadowfoam, and jojoba oil for facial use.

I like to use argan oil for post-shaving.

Neem oil has amazing anti-bacterial properties. I had a small cut on my hand that was beginning to feel sore and look infected and I slapped some neem on it with a bandaid and it was almost completely healed the next day! Seriously amazing stuff.

And of course, coconut oil is great for massages!

What are your favourite oil applications in skincare? :)

I like avocado. I don't know why- it just feels nice on my skin. My eczema boy likes me to make a combination of avocado, cocount, olive and shea, with a little beeswax to firm it up just a bit. This time, we even added some lanolin to it.

I love meadowfoam seed oil and also babassu for direct use. I've been using meadowfoam for awhile now, but direct application of babassu is a new thing for me. Thanks to our forum member Theresa, I've been using babassu on my underarms either by itself or as part of my deodorant made up of a mixture of babassu oil and magnesium hydroxide. It's very soothing and keeps the stink away.

IrishLass :)

My body butter has sweet almond and coconut oils along with Shea butter and cocoa butter. That's the combination I liked most and sticking with it. Olive oil by itself is fine except in the very dry winter months. Lately I've been using hazelnut oil with a blend of essential oils on my face and I really like it. It's light,fast absorbing, non greasy and keeps me moisturized for a long time. I still have to try many of the other oils people talked about here but what I already tried worked for me most of the time.
The two things I won't use by themselves are coconut oil( doesn't really help my skin) and mango butter which makes me break out for some odd reason.

Last year I used just olive oil. This year I've switched to grapeseed and argan oil with orange EO for scent. Lovely after a shower!

I recently made lotion bars with sweet almond, shea, and beeswax and I really really like them. But I'm wondering if a lighter oil wouldn't be even better. Maybe meadowfoam or argan?

I recently made lotion bars with sweet almond, shea, and beeswax and I really really like them. But I'm wondering if a lighter oil wouldn't be even better. Maybe meadowfoam or argan?

I consider Meadowfoam to be heavier than olive and/or sweet almond. It goes solid when I refrigerate it (albeit a soft-solid that's easily scooped).

IrishLass :)

I see your point, IL, but my experience with meadowfoam is that I'd call it a lighter oil as far as its skin feel. It seems less greasy feeling and absorbs quicker, compared with olive or almond. JMO.

I have a complicated relationship with argan. I know its supposed to be good for skin, but it smells like celery seed to me and I dislike smelling like a relish tray. I can tolerate it on my hands, but I can't stand it on my face due to the odor.

Last edited:
At 51 years old my skin is still far too oily to ever consider putting oil on my face. Hands, arms, legs, elbows...yes. But not my face! lol

I don't put anything directly on my face, but I love to rub in a bit of shea directly on my hands - especially my cuticles. There's just something about it...

toxikon, that sea buckthorn doesn't stain you? The only time I've bought it, it was incredibly potently orange. I ended up discarding the lotion I made with it. It turned my tester toe into Oompa Loompa skin...

I don't put anything directly on my face, but I love to rub in a bit of shea directly on my hands - especially my cuticles. There's just something about it...

toxikon, that sea buckthorn doesn't stain you? The only time I've bought it, it was incredibly potently orange. I ended up discarding the lotion I made with it. It turned my tester toe into Oompa Loompa skin...

The sea buckthorn is actually just an ingredient of an oil-based moisturizer I use. It has a lovely egg-yolk colour! But yes, applying full-strength to the face would definitely result in some oompa-loompa-ness.

Lanolin has been my favorite since I was a young nurse in a hospital where the husband of one of my patients would lovingly apply lanolin to his wife's skin every day. It was her life-long beauty treatment, and when she was hospitalized he did it for her. I was so impressed, not only by the loving devotion of the husband, but by the youthful softeness of her skin, that I began to do the same for a number of years.

I rarely apply anything except Noxzema to my face & neck, however as it has kept my face looking so young. However, last July while in New York, I tried a sample product (on my face & neck) that included truffle oil and gold in the ingredient list and loved how it felt. When I looked up the cost of this product, I found it to be prohibitive and won't be buying any. I don't even recall the name of the product, either, but I really liked how it made my skin feel.

For the most part, my face is extremely sensitive and almost everything makes it break out in red blotchy welts, so applying anything new to it is very risky business.

But since making soap, I love using almost any oil directly on my hands, arms, and legs to prevent waste (end of container type of usage). But of all of these, cocoa butter is my favorite after lanolin.

That's Trump's secret! And all this time I thought it was a tan-in-a-can.

Back