What are your favorite additives to put in soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anika

Reaction score
By additives, I mean things like sodium lactate, silk, glycerin, etc. Things that change the physical properties such as texture and hardness.

I have made mostly plain soap (with clays and organic things like that) oils+lye solution + colorant+ fragrance, but I would like to try other, more "serious", ingredients. Do you add any unique "chemicals" like glycerin that most people don't talk about? What properties does this change? Do you add any specific ingredient to *every* batch you make?

It was only today that I saw someone mention glycerin in soap and now I'm wondering what else is out there. I had no idea that was an option for cold process despite decent experience and research.

Welcome Anika :),I see you are new and this is your first post. would you like to go to the Introduction section and tell us a bit about yourself and how you got into soaping.

Silk, SL, Oatmeal, Charcoal, Aloe Vera, Milks, Pumpkin. Glycerine is a natural byproduct of handmade soap. No need to add extra. Silk to me give a slippery, silkiness to the bar, Oatmeal & Charcoal can add a bit of scrubbiness. SL just makes the soap harder to un mold sooner. I don't add clays. Didn't really notice a difference personally.

I use aloe juice in most recipes along with coconut milk powder or buttermilk powder and kaolin clay. I’m pleased with the results so far. I also like colloidal oatmeal (I’ve used oat flour too but it’s a lot less fine)

I don't add any glycerin to my bar-type soap since the saponification reaction creates glycerin as a natural by-product (somewhere around 10% to 15% worth, or thereabouts), but I do make my liquid soap with it (i.e., GLS or glycerin liquid soap).

Additives I use in my CP/bar soap:

-sodium lactate (makes for a harder bar, easier unmolding, lends a bit of 'body' to the lather....I also use it in my liquid soap to help the paste dilute easier/faster.)
-Tussa silk fibers (lends a silky/slippery feel to the soap)
-tetrasodium EDTA (I have very hard water and this helps cut down on the formation of soap scum in my shower, as well as helping my soap to lather better in the shower.....it's also good at preventing DOS, i.e., dreaded orange spots, aka rancidity)
-honey (a lovely lather enhancer)
-sugar (bubbly lather enhancer)
-beeswax (I use it in my honey/beeswax soap. Lends a bit of hardness to my bar)
-stearic acid (I use this in my shaving soap. It provides cushion, stability and longevity to the shaving lather).
-pumice (for a scrubby soap)
- avocado puree (lends a creamy dimension and color)
-Baby oatmeal (a nice non-scratchy alternative to regular oats for my oatmeal soap)
-salt for my salt bars
-goat milk or coconut milk (lends creaminess)

IrishLass :)

These are all interesting ideas I'll have to try. EDTA sounds awesome. Anything to cut down on that annoying soap scum. :shakinghead:

Thanks for all the details, IrishLass.

Sorbitol, Oatmeal, avocado puree, vinegar, activated charcoal, sometimes silk cocoons, very seldom clays.

ETA: Fresh Aloe, Pumpkin, Carrot Puree and EDTA
Please how do you know the quantity of additives to add? I once added carrot puree but it didn't come out well. I think I added a lot. Please is there a guide line to how much additives one can add? Thank you

Please how do you know the quantity of additives to add? I once added carrot puree but it didn't come out well. I think I added a lot. Please is there a guide line to how much additives one can add? Thank you

When adding purées you subtract the amount of purée you plan to use from the liquid required to make it.

I nearly always use clay. My husband loves French green clay in the soap that's in the shower. That's where he shaves and he loves to shave with my clay soap. But I also use other clays. Aloe, Oatmeal, goat milk, tea, coffee, and other things from time to time.

I use aloe juice in most recipes along with coconut milk powder or buttermilk powder and kaolin clay. I’m pleased with the results so far. I also like colloidal oatmeal (I’ve used oat flour too but it’s a lot less fine)

Hi there! I’m wondering about your additives in regards to when and where you add them? And does milk powder help to prevent the heating of the batter like liquid coconut milk or goat milk? One more question- do you have to use white Tussaud’s silk or can it be a color? I’m guessing white is best as it is not dyed but the white is bleached so I’m back to scratching my head!
Thanks in advance!

Additives I use in my CP/bar soap:

-sodium lactate (makes for a harder bar, easier unmolding, lends a bit of 'body' to the lather....I also use it in my liquid soap to help the paste dilute easier/faster.)
-Tussa silk fibers (lends a silky/slippery feel to the soap)
-tetrasodium EDTA (I have very hard water and this helps cut down on the formation of soap scum in my shower, as well as helping my soap to lather better in the shower.....it's also good at preventing DOS, i.e., dreaded orange spots, aka rancidity)
-honey (a lovely lather enhancer)
-sugar (bubbly lather enhancer)
-beeswax (I use it in my honey/beeswax soap. Lends a bit of hardness to my bar)
-stearic acid (I use this in my shaving soap. It provides cushion, stability and longevity to the shaving lather).
-pumice (for a scrubby soap)
- avocado puree (lends a creamy dimension and color)
-Baby oatmeal (a nice non-scratchy alternative to regular oats for my oatmeal soap)
-salt for my salt bars
-goat milk or coconut milk (lends creaminess)

IrishLass :)

Hi!!! I will ask you the same- how and when do you add these extras? Is it a tsp pp of finished soap? Does Tussah have to be white? I love all the additives and feel ready to try one... just want as much info as I can get. I read a lot and there is a bunch of conflicting info out there. I’m learning that this forum might be the only reading I should do!!!
Thank you!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi there! I’m wondering about your additives in regards to when and where you add them? And does milk powder help to prevent the heating of the batter like liquid coconut milk or goat milk? One more question- do you have to use white Tussaud’s silk or can it be a color? I’m guessing white is best as it is not dyed but the white is bleached so I’m back to scratching my head!
Thanks in advance!

Hi!!! I will ask you the same- how and when do you add these extras? Is it a tsp pp of finished soap? Does Tussah have to be white? I love all the additives and feel ready to try one... just want as much info as I can get. I read a lot and there is a bunch of conflicting info out there. I’m learning that this forum might be the only reading I should do!!!
Thank you!!!!

I add SL, sugar, salt and silk to my water before the lye. I make sure the salt/sugar is well dissolved first. I use tussah silk, it's kind of yellowish when it dissolves in the hot lye. I add powdered milk to my liquid milk to dissolve. I mix my lye with water and add the remainder as milk/powdered milk to make it full milk in the end. I add the milk mixture to my oils and blend well then add the lye. Honey, I dissolve in a bit of warm water and add to my oils as well.

Back