What Are You Watching?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ken Burns' 10 episode documentary, VietNam War. We are currently on episode 2. The first 10 episodes are on our DVR recorded from PBS, but it's also on Netflix. For some reason I thought is had 18 episodes. Now I'm confused and have to double check on that. EDIT: No, it's only 10. Thank goodness, I don't think I could handle 18 hours of war!

I really like the work Ken Burns does with his documentaries. But even though I lived through most of this time*, within a couple of months after my brother was sent to VietNam, I stopped reading or listening to the news about VietNam. Unfortunately I buried my head in the sand, so to speak, because I didn't want to see or hear anything that would cause me distress over my brother. We wrote to each other, but we never discussed the war or the conditions surrounding his presence there.

So I expect to learn a lot that I never was willing to learn about starting 50 years ago when I was only 18 or 19. If I can take it all in is questionable, of course. He is alive, of course, so it shouldn't be impossible to watch. But 18 hours of war torn events might be more than I can handle. I don't know yet. My husband sure is interested, though.

*Historically speaking, the VietNam conflicts started before I was born, but US involvement began shortly before I was born)
I try to watch almost everything I can find relating to the Vietnam War, and still couldn't tell you most of what it's about. (I have a hard time retaining facts concerning history for some reason) but the era fascinates me. Not sure if because when I was very young it's what I heard on the radio/tv, or what, but it truly interests me, and one of the sites on my bucket list is The Wall in DC.
I was able to see a portion of the wall, when they did the traveling tribute and it came here to my state, but I didn't see much of it, and I'm sure it would be even more impressive there in the original spot.

Finished Orange is the New Black. Will catch up on Shameless starting next week. My husband has been watching The Curse of Oak Island on Hulu, he's on season 4. I sat down to watch with him last night. I'm humorously fascinated with this enough to continue watching with him. He's into it in a serious "they're going to find treasure" way, I'm more of "how far can they stretch this out" watcher. Some of the connections they made in the two episodes I watched, seemed... fake. It was entertaining to me at least.

I just finished both seasons of Anne with an E on Netflix. It was the perfect thing to watch on the treadmill at the Y - no blood and gore or naked people so not offensive to anyone walking past. Now I have to figure out something new - it helps motivate me to get my arse over there.

Unreal... I hate it but cant stop watching. Im on Season 4 now :eek:

AHS tonight though eeeeeeeeeeeeee

I am trying again with Black Mirror, but I just cant. I dont have any episode I found AMAZING. I kinda sorta liked the one of the eyes, the rest go from “meh” to “oh my god what am i doing with my life?”

Started watching Jack Irish season 2 on Acorn TV last night. It was very good, but I like the characters, and I really enjoy Guy Pearce.

Friends...again...and I'm not sorry!!!
Don't be sorry!!! I've watched the entire series at least 5-6 times every episode. Some episodes are my favorites and I'm sure I've seen them at least a dozen or so times.
I love telling this story - I worked with an IT guy who loved Friends as much as I did. So we began giving each other daily trivia questions, quotes, so on and etc., well one time, we started (can't remember how) answering each other is Friends quotes. For 2 solid days our entire communication was work related but done in nothing but Friends quotes. LMAO it was so much fun and so hilarious to see others reactions even though we knew perfectly well what we were talking about even though nobody else did.

Elementary
I LOVE Elementary with Johnny Lee. Is the series over? I thought I heard them say only 2 more episodes but not sure if they meant forever, or just this season.

Did you ever see Eli Stone with Johnny Lee in it? I loved it, but it was quirky and not everyone like it (which is why it probably got cancelled)

I LOVE Elementary with Johnny Lee. Is the series over? I thought I heard them say only 2 more episodes but not sure if they meant forever, or just this season.

Did you ever see Eli Stone with Johnny Lee in it? I loved it, but it was quirky and not everyone like it (which is why it probably got cancelled)

Elementary is not over- yay! CBS announced it has been picked up for a 7th (2019) season. My hubby and I love this show and the totally different, quirky spin it takes on Sherlock Holmes. It was weird at first getting used to it taking place in modern day NYC, and Watson being portrayed as a woman, etc., etc.... but I love Lucy Lui's interpretation of Watson. The chemistry between her Watson and Johnny's Sherlock is a brilliant pairing, and I've really loved watching the ever growing, deepening friendship between the 2 characters. It's a beautiful thing that I hope the writers keep on a platonic level. I think it would ruin the show for me if they took things beyond the deep, loyal friends they've grown into, but I have to admit to a time or 2 of imagining 'Hmmmm......what if"? lol

No, I never saw Eli Stone. I hadn't even heard of it, so I just went and looked it up. It sounds like a show we would have enjoyed watching.

IrishLass :)

p184986_b_h9_ac.jpg

So I watched this about 12 years ago. I enjoyed it so much more when I binge watched it a couple of weeks ago. Yes, the fowl language is necessary. Just make a drinking game of it....

Elementary is not over- yay! CBS announced it has been picked up for a 7th (2019) season. My hubby and I love this show and the totally different, quirky spin it takes on Sherlock Holmes. It was weird at first getting used to it taking place in modern day NYC, and Watson being portrayed as a woman, etc., etc.... but I love Lucy Lui's interpretation of Watson. The chemistry between her Watson and Johnny's Sherlock is a brilliant pairing, and I've really loved watching the ever growing, deepening friendship between the 2 characters. It's a beautiful thing that I hope the writers keep on a platonic level. I think it would ruin the show for me if they took things beyond the deep, loyal friends they've grown into, but I have to admit to a time or 2 of imagining 'Hmmmm......what if"? lol

No, I never saw Eli Stone. I hadn't even heard of it, so I just went and looked it up. It sounds like a show we would have enjoyed watching.

IrishLass :)
YES, you just said everything I feel about Elementary that I feel. I'm so glad it's not over. I wouldn't have thought it would be cancelled, but you never know.

They have cancelled Big Bang Theory and I can't imagine why unless some of the actors just don't want to do it anymore, because it's still after 13 seasons, a top rated TV hit. (I haven't looked into it because I just don't want to know, I love the show too much!)

Started Shameless [season 8 on NetFlix] this weekend. I watched two episodes. Kind of not feeling it this season... might have to figure out how the DVD player works upstairs and move on to Outlander and GOT.

*I should clarify that I know how to run a DVD player, just not how it works with the way my husband sets up TV systems. Why do men make it so complicated? I've always been able to connect a DVD player to a TV such that all I need to do is go to the DVD channel, and push play. No, no, now I have to push 16 buttons on the remote, scroll through 8 menus, get a step ladder to push the button on the wall behind the TV that my husband installed out of my arm reach, insert 3 forms of ID, a blood and urine sample, and promise my first born child in the light of full moon. I'm still waiting for the email notification that the DVD gods have accepted my application.

Back