What Are You Watching?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another really good series I watched on Netflix was LaNiña, about a young Columbian girl who lived with guerillas for much of her youth before escaping and being helped to return to society and who trained to become a doctor. The series is very long with 88 episodes, some of which are about 45 minutes long, but others that are between 34 - 40 minutes long, so it takes a long time to reach the end. It may be a bit soap-opera-ish, but it's really very engaging and based on actual life situations that are very real in Columbia (and some other countries as well). I highly recommend this series, but it can bring up some issues that can be difficult for young women to watch, so although I did recommend it to my 16 yo granddaughter, I'd say parents might not approve all content if their children are immature or sheltered.

Currently watching the Vuelta a Espana on NBCSports Gold. I'm a huge cycling fan. After its over I'll return to Breaking Bad on Netflix again, third time. Just finished watching Better Call Saul seasons 1-3 for the 2nd time. Justified is on my list for a repeat binge. In July nothing happens but the TdF for 3 weeks.
Loved House of Cards (American and English) and Shameless (American). Haven't seen the English original yet.
A Very British Scandal is very good and any old British comedies always deserve a rewatch, especially Absolutely Fabulous. Joanna and Jennifer are a hoot.

Last edited:
My sciatica had me on the couch most of yesterday, too, so I watched the second season of Marcella on Netflix. OMG, now I want season 3 so much, I sure do hope they make a season 3. But that'll be a long wait, that's for sure. This is why I sometimes wait until the next season comes out before I watch a new season for some shows. But I have quite a few things in my que to watch and eventually I'll get tired of vegging out on the couch and my sciatica is on the mend. I can walk without the cane and as long as I don't stand for long, I am really doing a lot better.

Well, Hubby really enjoyed the 'Expedition to Happiness' documentary as I thought he would. Then we watched the first episode of 'Sniffer' on Neflix and neither of us really liked it much. I might watch it at some point alone, but Hubby probably never will because he thought it was really ridiculously bad cinema. Neither of us knew what to expect from Russian cinema or television, though, so it was interesting to see something out of Russia, although with our limited experience, it's hard to say if this is really a representative sample.

However, we both were riveted by Wanted and watched all of the first season and half of the second season in one afternoon/evening. We will probably be finishing it off today. Not sure what's next, but I do have a few things in my queue, including the 'Guernsey Literary & Potato Peel Pie Society', based on a book I really enjoyed when we read it for my (former) book club. The club has since disbanded and finding a new one that fits into my travel schedule isn't so easy in this small (or maybe any) community.

Gasp! That's on NetFlix? I may surrender my "no movies" rule and watch it. Man, I loved that book. Probably one of the few books I actually enjoyed when I was in book club. My other favorite was A Town Like Alice (I think...) it was also made into a movie in the 50's, but I really enjoyed it. Sorry... I kind of sequed into books... so back to TV... I am going to finish TWD on Saturday, that will be reward for not watching TV all week and actually getting my stuff done. Of course, the hubby will have to be around to give me the PIN....

'Guernsey Literary & Potato Peel Pie Society'
Did someone say Guernsey? Is this book about the little island in the Channel Islands (close to Normandy France, and under the Queen's rule?) or the town in Wyoming?
LOL when I talk about Guernsey I always am talking about the island in the Channel Islands and it is amazing how many people have never heard of it. (it IS a teeny tiny island!)

Did someone say Guernsey? Is this book about the little island in the Channel Islands (close to Normandy France, and under the Queen's rule?) or the town in Wyoming?
LOL when I talk about Guernsey I always am talking about the island in the Channel Islands and it is amazing how many people have never heard of it. (it IS a teeny tiny island!)
Yes, that's the one. (the first one)

Orphan Black
Empire
I’ve watched both already but told my friend to watch them and I started watching them again

Also waiting for the next season of
The Resident
9-1-1
And can’t wait for Killing Eve to come out on SOMETHING
I work nights so I didn’t get to watch it at all [emoji17] has anyone seen it? The trailer looked so good. I wanted to wait to binge watch it anyway but Netflix, Hulu, or Amazon Prime still don’t have it yet.

Orphan Black
Empire
I’ve watched both already but told my friend to watch them and I started watching them again

Also waiting for the next season of
The Resident
9-1-1
I work nights so I didn’t get to watch it at all [emoji17] has anyone seen it? The trailer looked so good. I wanted to wait to binge watch it anyway but Netflix, Hulu, or Amazon Prime still don’t have it yet.

Also waiting for The Good Doctor
Oh Bates Motel was great too.

the second season of “the good place” is up! I watched the first season in like two days. I think I’ll start again tonight so I can watch season 2 at work tomorrow night

I work nights so I didn’t get to watch it at all
emoji17.png
has anyone seen it? The trailer looked so good. I wanted to wait to binge watch it anyway but Netflix, Hulu, or Amazon Prime still don’t have it yet.
Yes, it's a great little series. Sandra Oh is really good in it. I was able to watch it on demand on Dish, but not sure it's still there. I did that right after the series ended.

Ken Burns' 10 episode documentary, VietNam War. We are currently on episode 2. The first 10 episodes are on our DVR recorded from PBS, but it's also on Netflix. For some reason I thought is had 18 episodes. Now I'm confused and have to double check on that. EDIT: No, it's only 10. Thank goodness, I don't think I could handle 18 hours of war!

I really like the work Ken Burns does with his documentaries. But even though I lived through most of this time*, within a couple of months after my brother was sent to VietNam, I stopped reading or listening to the news about VietNam. Unfortunately I buried my head in the sand, so to speak, because I didn't want to see or hear anything that would cause me distress over my brother. We wrote to each other, but we never discussed the war or the conditions surrounding his presence there.

So I expect to learn a lot that I never was willing to learn about starting 50 years ago when I was only 18 or 19. If I can take it all in is questionable, of course. He is alive, of course, so it shouldn't be impossible to watch. But 18 hours of war torn events might be more than I can handle. I don't know yet. My husband sure is interested, though.

*Historically speaking, the VietNam conflicts started before I was born, but US involvement began shortly before I was born)

Last edited:
I read about Book Club a couple of days ago and do hope it comes to Netflix streaming or Amazon Prime.

Hannah Gadsby: Nanette. Excellent. I generally don't choose to watch a lot of just plain Stand Up Comedy, but this peaked my interest and I am so glad I watched it. I'm saving it in my Queue for my husband, too.

The Guernsey Literary & Potato Peel Pie Society was so very good, with several accomplished and experienced actors from other British favorites. I thoroughly enjoyed watching it this morning; even shed a few tears.

Today is a day for Netflix as I overdid it yesterday with the Basement work and I also didn't sleep well last night. Up next: I am not quite sure, but something from my list. According to our internet usage this month, we could watch 25 hours of standard definition movies per day the rest of this month and still not reach our data limit, and that's not likely to happen. So I can watch as much as I want to today!

Ken Burns' 10 episode documentary, VietNam War.

I saw that on NetFlix, added it to my "watch" queue. We never got to the Vietnam War in history class - our teacher was obsessed with the Civil War so we spent MONTHS on it. Made me mad because I was really interested in WWII and we only spent a week on it. We never even got to the Korean War. Ugh. My high school failed me.

I finished TWD. OMG. Just... OMG. Working on catching up on Orange is the New Black. Then will be Shameless. If nothing new pops up on NetFlix after that, I will probably dig into my Outlander and GOT DVD's. I plan on taking a hiatus from soapmaking at the beginning of 2019 (famous last words? maybe) so hopefully I can balance some house projects with TV watching and book reading. BTW: whoever suggested I make a contact in my phone with the NetFlix password is a genius! An evil genius because I'm sure that my summer projects will extended into fall projects.

Latest posts

Back