What are you reading?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackDog

Reaction score
Hope there are some more bookworms on the board! What are you reading or planning to read in 2016?

I just finished Dragonfly in Amber (#2 in the Outlander series), which I was not in love with, and the audiobook of The Other Daughter by Willig (ADORED IT). I got a few new books from a gift card at Christmas - I think my next one will be Brooklyn (haven't seen the movie yet!).

Anything you're loving that I should put on the list for the year?

The rest of the Outlander series. Dragonfly was a rough read but really is necessary for the rest of the series. Keep going! You'll love them.

I have about 130 right now on my tbr shelves.... A lot of old books. I'm not very current on the best sellers list.

Love the Outlander series. I need to pick it up again. I'm currently reading Kevin Dunn's Scientific Soapmaking.

I kinda want to read the hunger game books as I haven't seen the movies yet so I'd like to read them before I do. It's a thing, I have to always read the book first.

amd and Jules I intend to get back on the horse with Outlander - just need to take a break after that whole godawful mess in France :) Will be picking up Voyager on my next trip to the bookstore.

jules the HG books are great! I burned through them in a weekend a couple years ago. Even my husband picked them up after I dragged him kicking to the first film hehehehe. He liked them too!

Susie I'd never heard of that series until I just looked it up. Looks interesting!

navigator, I actually did the audiobook version of The Girl on the the Train last month, on the recommendation of several people. It was a good story, but man! I wanted to throttle every single character! What a bunch of hateful bags! LOL I was not sad to leave those people behind.

I like the Saxon Tales by Bernard Cornwell. The TV series "The Last Kingdom," was taken from his book of the same name.

I am reading Shattered by Kevin Hearne. The new book comes out Tuesday, so I am reminding myself where I left off.

I'm looking forward to this too. Its been too long since the last book. The author has done a bunch of short stories, but they are in a bunch of anthology books, which I am not a fan of.

Currently I'm into the October Daye series. They are pretty fun.

Re-reading the entire A Song of Ice and Fire series by George R. R. Martin. (Third time around) Every time I read these books I find something new that for some reason I did not pick up on the previous reads.

I'm looking forward to this too. Its been too long since the last book. The author has done a bunch of short stories, but they are in a bunch of anthology books, which I am not a fan of.

Currently I'm into the October Daye series. They are pretty fun.

Faith Hunter (Jane Yellowrock series, whoever suggested this author has my undying gratitude!) is an awesome author, as is Patricia Briggs, and others too numerous to mention.:)

Re-reading the entire A Song of Ice and Fire series by George R. R. Martin. (Third time around) Every time I read these books I find something new that for some reason I did not pick up on the previous reads.

Thanks for this. I've "read" the audiobook version and have been thinking about reading the ebook or dt versions for that very reason.

I've done the same with the Harry Potter series, saw the first movie, read all the books, then listened to the audio version of all of them... Like you, I found something new in each book, each time.

At the moment, I'm into crime dramas, Tess Gerritson to be precise. I'm on my third book in a week and a half. It's good "take me away from my every day" quick reading.

Yes! I've read them twice and feel like I need a third. So much to keep track of - maybe on the third time I'll keep a spreadsheet lol!

I've done the same with the Harry Potter series, saw the first movie, read all the books, then listened to the audio version of all of them... Like you, I found something new in each book, each time.

Oh my goodness, I LOVED the Harry Potter audiobooks. Jim Dale is an unbelievable narrator. I totally recommend the to everyone, even if they've read the books before.

Faith Hunter (Jane Yellowrock series, whoever suggested this author has my undying gratitude!) is an awesome author, as is Patricia Briggs, and others too numerous to mention.:)

Susie,

If you like Patricia Briggs I recommend Ilona Andrews following Series:

• The Kate Daniels Series-Amazing read. You will be hooked from book one.
  • The Hidden Legacy Series (just one book so far release of the second in 2017)
  • Clean Sweep- this one is a serial they write for free. You can read it in installments or you can buy the ebooks.
  • The Edge- Interesting world setting and great cast of characters that make appearances in the Clean Sweep serial.

By the way this is a writing team. Husband and Wife. Ilona and Gordon Andrews. They are my favorite along with Patricia Briggs. These people can write a phone book and I will buy it.

Sere

Last edited:
The Orphan Trains: Placing out in America (I love sociology and history, fascinating to see how the views of child raising have changed)

The Ghosts of Fredericksburg (love "true" ghosts stories)

the original Nancy Drew series- whichever one my little one has picked out this week.

I just finished the Origin Mystery Series. Awesome read.
Currently reading the first book of The Expanse Series. Must get ahead of the tv show so I can pick where things have gone different.

Hmmm audio book of fire and ice. May have to give that a try as my brain dribbled out of my ears halfway through the second book

Susie,

If you like Patricia Briggs I recommend Ilona Andrews following Series:

• The Kate Daniels Series-Amazing read. You will be hooked from book one.
  • The Hidden Legacy Series (just one book so far release of the second in 2017)
  • Clean Sweep- this one is a serial they write for free. You can read it in installments or you can buy the ebooks.
  • The Edge- Interesting world setting and great cast of characters that make appearances in the Clean Sweep serial.

By the way this is a writing team. Husband and Wife. Ilona and Gordon Andrews. They are my favorite along with Patricia Briggs. These people can write a phone book and I will buy it.

Sere

Yep! Love, love, love me some Ilona Andrews! I get her blog so I don't miss anything at all!

When my children were small, we made many car trips. I played the Harry Potter audiobooks or the Narnia series on each car trip. Very quiet children who did not want to miss a single word make a very pleasant trip!

Last edited:
Ugh, my own novel actually. Finalizing edits before it goes to print, so it's all I've had time to read. So great to see so many book worms on the forum! Helloooooo other George RR Martin and Diana Gabaldon lovers! *hi5!*
As soon as I've got some free time though I'm curling up with HP Mallorie's Dulcie O'Neil series.

I very rarely have time to read, but when I do it's mostly non-fiction (I know, boring!). These are a few of my in-the-middle-of-reading not-sure-when-I'll-finish-them books right now:

"What To Eat" by Marion Nestle

"Eating On The Wild Side" by Jo Robinson

"The Confidence Code: The Science and Art of Self-Assurance---What Women Should Know" by Katty Kay and Claire Shipman

Some fiction books that I've read that I would recommend (though they're all very different) are:

"The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake" by Aimee Bender

"A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian" by Marina Lewycka

"Survivor" by Chuck Palahniuk

"Silent House" by Orhan Pamuk

Latest posts

Back