What are you picky about?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I guess I’m not much at all lol😊
Many concerns about the appearance of soda ash, air bubbles, glycerin rivers etc.
None of them bother me much .
I do hate the drag marks I get from titanium dioxide though.
What about you guys?

I dislike glycerin rivers. As @Obsidian noted, it makes the soap look curdled. The only other thing I am particular about in my soaps is air bubbles. For that reason, I am very deliberate when I blend. As precise as I am when I weigh my oils and lye/water, and how deliberate I am when creating a recipe, everything else I fly by the seat of my pants. I try not to sweat the small stuff. :D

I've (knock on wood) never had a partial gel, but I think I would be very unhappy if I did. As someone who exclusively soaps with milks, my main concerns are cracking and alien brains. They drive me absolutely nuts.

Glycerin rivers. I can’t stand them. I don’t like the aesthetic at all.
Soda Ash is also one of my worst irritants but I’ve troubleshooted to where I rarely get it now.

Bubbles 😭 Ash annoys me, but if I truly hate it, I'll rinse it, steam it, or cut it. I've yet to get glycerine rivers, probably because I don't CPOP for very long and then it cools down pretty quickly. I would like them for a couple designs I have in mind, but I would have to take more time and let it cool down more slowly. I'm paranoid about Stearic spots, they sometimes appear in my nightmares.

People who violate my soap cart by putting pot and pans and dirty dishes on it instead of putting it where it belongs...like the dishwasher or the cupboards. There is a soup pot sitting on my soap cart even as we speak.

People who use the cutting board on my soaping cart instead of grabbing one of the dozens that we own (you could hear me screech from across town).

People who grabbed one of my freshly washed soaping trays to toast garlic bread with because it was easier than bending over and grabbing a regular cookie sheet out of the cupboard.

People who decide it's a good idea to grab one of my soaping spatulas out of my soaping cart to cook with and then wonder why the food tastes like soap.

People who complete ignore the words "Danger! For Lye Use Only" written all over in big red letters.

People who violate my soap cart by putting pot and pans and dirty dishes on it instead of putting it where it belongs...like the dishwasher or the cupboards. There is a soup pot sitting on my soap cart even as we speak.

People who use the cutting board on my soaping cart instead of grabbing one of the dozens that we own (you could hear me screech from across town).

People who grabbed one of my freshly washed soaping trays to toast garlic bread with because it was easier than bending over and grabbing a regular cookie sheet out of the cupboard.

People who decide it's a good idea to grab one of my soaping spatulas out of my soaping cart to cook with and then wonder why the food tastes like soap.

People who complete ignore the words "Danger! For Lye Use Only" written all over in big red letters.
Thank you for renewing my appreciation for the sanctity that all of my soaping stuff has been granted. I would also experience intense, unpleasant emotions if any of that happened to my stuff/space, with the potential for regrettable words and actions.

Let it out, Sister! All I can say is Yikes-kers! 😱 Also laughing because I also have drawn skull and crossbones and LYE!! DANGER!! on my lye containers!

I would do that, but i dont think the dog and cat can read 🤪

I hate TD boogers, and air bubbles. I despise the air bubbles so much, I would almost rather hand stir my batter over the SB sometimes lol. Once i take the blender out of the batter, i nearly almost never put it back in unless i absolutely have to.

Stearic spots drive me to distraction!!! I finally figured out how to avoid them in my soy wax soap - and then I added shea butter to the mix and have to figure out temps and time on the heating pad all over again! :mad:

I would do that, but i dont think the dog and cat can read 🤪

Well, isn't it time you taught them? 😻

I have not tried that, but I have been teaching her to use a doorbell (paw doorbell). It's a bit hit & miss lately because we got interrupted in the lessons with a roadtrip and she reverted back to the prior method of getting my attention so I will open the door for her.

I can't say that I'm truly picky about anything when it comes to all things soapy. I have one or two soaps that I purposely aim for glycerin rivers (that sentence doesn't sound right). A bit of ash doesn't really bother me as it washes off; it even looks good on a few of my soaps. Cracks in slightly overheated soap? It happens; it's cosmetic. I don't like partial gel and I don't like it when the soap is so overheated that the center is zaftig or spongy but, apart from that, it's all cosmetic; it doesn't affect the soap's performance.

I'm not fussy at all (as evidenced by my soaps, ahem, apparently the majority of you would not appreciate them). What does bother me is seeing other soapers selling awkward chunks. There is a local MP soaper who cuts her loaves by hand... and they aren't even close to straight, many have curved "lip" at the bottom, many have cuts on them where she started to cut it, then (I dunno? changed her mind, had trouble cutting in that spot?) moved to another spot to do the cut. So yeah, sloppy cuts drive me crazy - but drag marks from wire cutters not so much, just to clarify.

Back