What are these circular formations/bubbles?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DomTheDillyHoo

Reaction score
What are these little circle things in this bar? My guess is the salt does something to it, but I'm unsure. It has olive oil, palm oil, coconut oil, shea butter, kaolin clay and sea salt.

Attachments

• 20221204_212013.jpg
    20221204_212013.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
I don't see circular things. I see dark flecks that aren't necessarily circular.

I see a tan bar .... entirely tan ... with dark brown flecks. I don't see any white parts on this soap. I'm still confused -- did you mean to post another photo?

If I enlarge the photo, I can see that the uncolored soap does have raised, circular marks on it. Did you by chance cover it with plastic wrap or something tight while it was hot? If so, the condensation can drip onto the soap and make marks like that.

If you didn’t cover it, then my next guess would be that you had some separation, maybe from an FO. But it looks a lot like condensation drops to me.

If I enlarge the photo, I can see that the uncolored soap does have raised, circular marks on it. Did you by chance cover it with plastic wrap or something tight while it was hot? If so, the condensation can drip onto the soap and make marks like that.

If you didn’t cover it, then my next guess would be that you had some separation, maybe from an FO. But it looks a lot like condensation drops to me.
It cant be condensation drops because the side you are looking at is the side that was cut, those were inside the bar, not on top. I used eucalyptus essential oil for this bar.

Got it, thanks for that additional information about the EO, which wasn't mentioned in your original post. When asking for help, we really need to know every single ingredient, including FOs, EOs, additives. Did you use any other ingredients, such as honey, molasses, or botanicals that would cause those brown spots?

I'd say something heated up your batter and caused some separation. Honey and other sugars will often do that, and will leave brown spots, too. Unless the brown spots or the raised circles zap, these are cosmetic only.

Got it, thanks for that additional information about the EO, which wasn't mentioned in your original post. When asking for help, we really need to know every single ingredient, including FOs, EOs, additives. Did you use any other ingredients, such as honey, molasses, or botanicals that would cause those brown spots?

I'd say something heated up your batter and caused some separation. Honey and other sugars will often do that, and will leave brown spots, too. Unless the brown spots or the raised circles zap, these are cosmetic only.
Oh im not talking about the brown spots, sorry! Those brown spots are exfoliants (oatmeal). If you look closely on the white parts don't he soap, there are these little raised circles on the texture, they can be hard too see, you may have to zoom in. But that's all here is the FULL list:
Olive Oil
Palm Oil
Coconut Oil
Shea Butter
Eucalyptus Essential Oil
Kaolin Clay
Sea Salt

As I stated earlier, I do see the raised spots and am not referring to the brown spots when talking about condensation or separation.

However, the brown spots and raised spots could be connected, depending on what ingredients you used.

In your case, I believe the raised spots are just a cosmetic issue related to temperature.

It really makes it hard for us to help you when you don't give a complete list of every single item, listed all together (not in separate remarks).

If I just read your list, above, and didn't read the additional remarks, I wouldn't know that you included oatmeal.

Before that, we didn't know that you included an EO.

I don't say that to criticize, but to explain why we are having a hard time assisting you.

I am writing all of this in separate sentences because I'm sensing that maybe you have difficulty reading longer paragraphs.

Several of my family members have this issue so I hope this helps.

Latest posts

Back