What are the benefits of Argan Oil in CP Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twaburds

Reaction score
Hi there,

I have been asked by a potential stockist if I could make a soap with Argan Oil. He says my soap is moisturising but he wants it to be even more moisturising with the addition of argan oil.

I think he just wants to be able to use it as a buzz word to increase sales. I was wondering how argan oil behaves in cp soap? Are there benefits from using this (expensive) oil? Or are their better alternatives?

My base recipe is just the basis 33/33/34 olive, coconut and palm.

Thanks

Argan is great label appeal. If works fine in soap but is expensive and in my opinion adds nothing to the soap itself. It is just to expensive to use it in noticable percentages. If he want your soap less stripping try lowering your coconut, you could up your palm and add in another soft oil such as avocado, Sunflower HO, Canola HO, Safflower etc

IMO it is a waste of an expensive oil to use it in lye soap, and even though he feels it will boost sales, I believe the cost benefit would prove otherwise. In other words, will the customer pay extra for a soap with argan oil listed as one of its last ingredients over your regular soap? Maybe some will, but unless his customers are used to high-end pricing, I would guess not many would.

If he's willing to pay the price of your soaps up front, maybe try a small batch for him and let him decided if it's worth the cost later. He may find people are willing to pay the higher price. I probably would not, but I'm not rich. But if you have a consignment contract, I wouldn't even bother. It's really just too expensive an oil.

Recommended usage rates in soap: 5-10% (should you decide to try it) per NG's Soaping Oils Properties.

Argan oil would really shine in a cream or lotion. In most wash-off products, it's wasted since it won't get the chance to lend its benefits. Still, I agree with Earlene's suggestion to make him a small batch. You can also sort of do a blind soap testing with some coloring to differentiate the soap. One soap could be on color and the argan oil soap would be another. Maybe it would give him a perspective?

Problem with doing a small batch for him to try is that it would still need to be safety assessed so unless he is willing to pay for the safety assessment costs as well, it could end up as an expensive trial for you.

Thats one of the massive downsides of the cosmetic safety assessment in that it doesnt allow you to trial stuff or be creative off the cuff - you have to have your product pretty much straight before you go with the extra costs.

I wouldn't waste expensive oil in soap. Soap is not moisturizing. It is a wash off product. Dropping your coconut some will make it less stripping. You can also up your SF. I do 7% and use milk as my liquid.

I use argan in my whipped Shea butters and lotion bars.

Thanks so much everyone! Exactly as I thought, not enough benefits to balance the cost. I will recommend something like shea butter if he is looking for label appeal but its OMH soap so i think there is enough label appeal already but at least it gives me something to go back to him with.

Again, thanks so much for all the advise

Surely you can make a test batch for him to test the soap. Not to test selling it obviously.
I usually make at least 2-3 versions of each new one we are planning to test the fragrance amount etc. My client gives some slices to his friends and/or clients to test and then we decide depending on results which one is the one we'll get safety assested.
I know one UK based soapmaker who sells (or sold before) her test batches online. I believe that is not ok.

Surely you can make a test batch for him to test the soap. Not to test selling it obviously.
I usually make at least 2-3 versions of each new one we are planning to test the fragrance amount etc. My client gives some slices to his friends and/or clients to test and then we decide depending on results which one is the one we'll get safety assested.
I know one UK based soapmaker who sells (or sold before) her test batches online. I believe that is not ok.

Yes. He may not even like argan oil in soap. He may prefer Shea. Who know until he's tried it.

Latest posts

Back