What are some good beginner recipe's for Glycerin soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlondeSoaps67

Reaction score
We have a lot of Glycerin left over as a byproduct of bio-diesel fuel and Im looking for a way to continue the recycling process by entering a new hobby of making soap.

Im searching for recipes that are fairly simple since I'm new.. I do have my husband there along side me who is good at these things (he is doing the bio-fuel tytrations)

Any recipes thank you!

P.s I feel kinda silly asking but my glycerin is starting from a liquid state does it solidify after the process of mixing ingredients? One I saw is Lye..?

Glycerin is also a by-product of the saponification process! I would suggest reading up about glycerin liquid soap (GLS) as that is the product you could probably use the most glycerin in. I don't think many people typically add it to bar soap, as I believe it would make the soap softer. I'm unfamiliar with cream soap, but there may be a place for it in the manufacture of that. GLS is probably your best bet! Lots of people on here have tried it, though I am not one of them. Welcome and good luck!!

Curious about this one too!

I'm sensing a trend among us newbies and glycerin soap haha.

Following with interest.

Im sorta confused on the liquid vs. Solid I think thats what the Lye is for.. My husband has been super busy in the shop and now sleeping after working none stop almost the last 4 days..

Im sure he will shed more light on it and I can always follow up ti inform all of you!

If anyone reading this has experience and want to share please do.

I need to do something productive around here and doing this would help.

Also would I go to an essential oils store for scented solutions to use in Glycerin?I understand Im not supposed to use oil fragrance.. Just womdering where to get good stuff and any suggestions on scents to try?

My understanding is that glycerin alone does not saponify. You will need to add oils to help solidify. It is a by-product if soap making process as been mentioned and really helps with nourishing the skin. I use additional glycerine in my CP soaps w/o any problems. Have fun![emoji5]

Soap made from biodiesel glycerin is a special process. There's lots of information online. It's not as "pretty" as other handmade soap but certainly usable. Here's a link to one site with pics:

https://www.wikihow.com/Make-Lye-Soap-from-Biodiesel-By-products

Glycerin is a by-product of making biodiesel. After the glycerin is filtered to remove any food particles or impurities, you can make it into lye bar soap. Most people add fragrances and dye to make the soap more appealing for everyday use. With these simple instructions, you can turn 1 ½ gallons of glycerin into 45 bars of lye soap in just over 24 hours.

Have fun!

"There is no such thing as glycerin soap." is what I keep running into. Glycerin is actually a byproduct of soap making and if you are wanting clear soap (often under the misnomer of "glycerin soap") you will not actually need glycerin. You will need sugar and alcohol.
I found this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glycerin_soap
That said, you can add glycerin to your standard soap. (FYI Soap = Lye + Oil)
My recommendation is to learn soap and then discover how to add the glycerin appropriately. Otherwise, there are actually plenty of uses for glycerin in cosmetics and you might even do well to just straight sell the glycerin?
More research on my part to answer more but these are my initial two cents, with all due love and respect. :)

I'm seeing a lot of misconceptions flying around in this thread.

Pure glycerin is a commonly used solvent for making transparent soap (aka "glycerin" soap). When glycerin is used in this type of soap, it is usually combined with other solvents such as sugar syrup, glycols, alcohols, etc. to reduce glycerin's tendency to cause sweating. You don't have to use glycerin as a solvent in transparent soap, but it is certainly one of the solvents that works.

Crude glycerin solution -- meaning the byproduct from biodiesel manufacturing -- is not just glycerin, although biodiesel people use the name "glycerin" as a shorthand term. But the fact remains you cannot make soap from PURE glycerin.

So why can you make soap from crude glycerin solution? Crude glycerin solution isn't just glycerin. It contains fatty acids as well as methanol, glycerin, water, some soap, and impurities. It's the fatty acids in this solution that you are converting into soap.

The glycerin also remains in the soap and functions as a solvent to make this type of soap somewhat translucent. There are too many impurities in this kind of soap so it isn't going to be as fully "transparent" as most transparent soap tends to be.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back