What are easy diy products? (Soaps,Candles,Lip Balm etc..)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoapySteph

Reaction score
Hey all!
I've had this indecisive issue since high school, (I'm a 27 years old mommy now btw!) for years I've wanted to learn and make diy's crafts. I want to feel the pleasure of knowing how to make my own soap,candles,scrubs etc.. just not sure which one to start. I've read and watched many videos and lurked over beautiful etsy shops in hopes of one day possibly making *something* a business. I've come to realize that before I even think of anything business related..I should learn the basics, make it a hobby and most importantly would love to incorporate these products in my own home and give away to family&friends! How cute would it be to make and give away pumpkin spice themed things in fall!

I love everything but haven't tried anything. I feel that I want to try everything at once. I know all the process are different and ultimately it depends on the individual but is there any diy craft that you've learned and feel is somewhat simple to make at home?

Last edited:
Brambleberry and Wholesale Supplies Plus have kits of different things - cold process (CP) soap, lotion, lip balm, bath bombs, etc. So you can order the kit and have what you need to try it out. If you don't care for it, not much loss!

I would say the #1 easiest is body butter. When we say "body butter", we usually mean a product that is all oils, no water added. (FYI, some people/places will call a thick lotion a body butter, while we usually call it a thick lotion or a cream. Just to clarify.) To make a body butter, you need a hard oil (shea butter, cocoa butter) and a liquid oil. The liquid oil can be anything that is liquid at room temperature. I really like avocado. You could also use an oil that is solid but soft at room temperature, such as coconut oil or even shortening. You can often find shea butter at health food stores. You can find 1-oz sticks of cocoa butter at Publix in the ethnic hair section (one brand is Queen Helene), and sometimes at Fred's Discount Pharmacy. Read the ingredients to be sure it is 100% cocoa butter. If you want to get fancy, you could add a few drops of Vitamin E (also available at Fred's.) Start with about 70% cocoa butter and 30% liquid oil (or 80% shea and 20% liquid), microwave them and stir together. See if you like the consistency of it. You can always re-melt and add more. This is great for lips, hands, elbows and feet, especially in the winter.

Thank you! Going to check out those kits! That sounds awesome, never thought of body butter! I also like the fact that I have all the ingredients you mentioned currently at home. I have a tub of African Shea Butter, plenty of different types of oils. I have dry skin so def going to try this out. How do you measure your percentages for amounts? I don't think I've ever bought body butter before, so should the consistency feel/look some what like whip cream?

Last edited by a moderator:
We usually recommend by weight - use a kitchen scale vs a postage scale. You can often find them for a good price at Bargain Hunt. But for body butter, you'll be okay to use volume. (For something like CP soap making, where you have an actual chemical reaction happening, always use weight.)

Body butter - the consistency can be whatever you prefer. It should melt easily on your fingers, but not be liquid in the jar. Your choice if you want it firmer or softer.

When you say a consistency like whipped cream, I think you are thinking a whipped body butter. Also totally doable. Look at some YouTube videos to see what the process looks like. You can use the same recipe I suggested above, but you will also need a mixer (a handmixer is fine).

Put your hard oil (shea butter or cocoa butter) in a microwave safe bowl and heat for 30 second bursts. You want it to be soft enough to whip but not so soft that it won't hold the whip. This may take some trial and error. If it gets too soft, put it in the freezer. You want a firmness similar to ice cream. Add your soft oil and your Vitamen E, and blend with the mixer on a low or medium setting to mix it up. When it is well mixed, and assuming the texture isn't too hard or soft, turn it up to whip and whip it. Whip it good. :) You want the texture of the whipped butter at this stage to be a bit softer than you'd prefer, because it will firm up some, because the mixer is a source of heat. Cover the bowl and set aside. After an hour or so, check and see if you still like the texture. If you do, put it into containers. If not, add a bit more hard or soft oil. it won't be as light and fluffy as whipped cream.

You can also scent it with essential oils. Just a few drops. check out www.thesage.com or brambleberry for a fragrance calculator. This will help you stay within safe usage guidelines for EOs. (BTW, don't get YoungLiving or doTerra. Major rippoff. I like the NOW brand at health food stores.) Mint, lavender, and lemongrass are safe and a decent price at health food stores. I'd start with one of those 3. Or a blend of them, if you'd like to be fancy!

- use a kitchen scale vs a postage scale.

oh :( I have just purchased a postage scale second hand. I thought it was a good buy as it measures in 0.1 grams up to 2kg.
why are kitchen scales better?

OP - The first thing I made in your list was teacup candles, very easy to do just pour the melted wax into the teacup making sure you centre the wick. Another easy starter thing is a salt/coffee scrub. Good Luck and have fun.

Thank you so much for taking your time to explain this to me, very informative! Ah, no wonder that's why it remind me of whip cream the girl's video I saw she whipped it and her final product was well, exactly like whipped cream. I'm going to try the first version you mentioned and then give the whipped one a try. I don't have a scale so I guess for now I'll just experiment by eye or measuring cup. :D

oh :( I have just purchased a postage scale second hand. I thought it was a good buy as it measures in 0.1 grams up to 2kg.

OP - The first thing I made in your list was teacup candles, very easy to do just pour the melted wax into the teacup making sure you centre the wick. Another easy starter thing is a salt/coffee scrub. Good Luck and have fun.

Thank you for the suggestion going to check those out as well!

Last edited by a moderator:

Kitchen scales are meant to measure increasing weights - which is what happens when you pour. Post scales measure an unchanging weight - when you place a package on the scale.

Check out Soap Queen TV for different types of recipes as well. But remember her job is to sell things, so most of those recipes will contain at least one thing you probably can't get locally.

Kitchen scales are meant to measure increasing weights - which is what happens when you pour. Post scales measure an unchanging weight - when you place a package on the scale.

When you put it like that its obvious, silly me I never even thought of it. Ah well at least I have accurate scales if I ever need to weigh post! Good job I didn't pay much for them.

Latest posts

Back