What about 50% goat ghee and 50% oelic sunflower?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Someone may correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe hemp oil has one of the shorter shelf life of oils.

Supplier (BB) notes 2yr expiration date. Best if refrigerated or frozen. I also have some food grade, opened in November. Exp date on pkg says 6/2020, which would have been 2 yrs since production. But all things have a 2 yrs exp date whether the contents is expired or not, thx to NJ.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smar...-why-does-it-need-a-expiration-date-18718243/

10 yr old MRE's anyone? I have a case and a half, they are just fine.

For SAP value I used what was in SoapCalc for “Ghee, Bovine”. Seemed to work fine.

I don’t think the odor is from spoilage. I think it is in the nature of the saponification of the particular fatty acids in ghee. Also, doesn’t hemp have it’s own stronger smell?

So, like some of the others I'm a bit confused about what you are trying to achieve here

100% local and vegetarian ingredients isn't something new and innovative - loads of people do it

If there's a local soaper already using goat ghee, why don't you get her to make it

Well actually I'm unsure why you just don't make it yourself and try it, as you are confident it will be a good soap and not have the scent issues that other soapers have encountered

I would have thought the more common soaping oils would be easily accessible in Canada?

In the US Emu's are raised for their layer of fat, in order to produce Emu oil. There is only one way to obtains said fat, which is slaughtering the big beautiful bird.

ETA the double quote was driving me nuts and I could not get rid of it so my comment ended up in the quote I was trying to reply to

Last edited:
I like you Matt, you're an ideas guy.
Most of us on here don't have many :-(

I take a little offense at this statement. Im not so sure about you - But I have plenty of ideas and so do many members here. We have all experimented with many different things. I for one am constantly trying crazy things and frankly its most of what I do. I make very little soap for sale. I just like the experimentation and formulation end. I do not come on here and advertise the results nor do I get an idea like Matt and ask others to try it for me. I do it myself.

Last edited:
I take a little offense at this statement. Im not so sure about you - But I have plenty of ideas and so do may members here. We have all experimented with many different things. I for one am constantly trying crazy things and frankly its most of what I do. I make very little soap for sale. I just like the experimentation and formulation end. I do not come on here and advertise the results nor do I get an idea like Matt and ask others to try it for me. I do it myself.
I also take offense. There is not much I have not tried with soap and also make and experiment with other products. :thumbs::thumbs:

I also take offense. There is not much I have not tried with soap and also make and experiment with other products. :thumbs::thumbs:

Snake shed soap anyone? [Yep, I've tried lots of things, thank you very much!] I'm not going to take offense at the comment, soon enough she will see that we do have our own ideas, we just choose when to participate in other people's ideas. In this case, I choose not to do someone else's work for their benefit.

Oh I was being completely facetious . Matt stormed on here with this wacky idea and just kept INSISTING. it was like, if he just SAID IT ENOUGH, someone was going to make him his random specific soap. It turns out that someone did it after all. I did not see that coming.
It was especially ironic because contemporaneously in other threads, people were talking about how they were dreaming about soap, saw soap ideas everywhere, stayed up late watching video after video. They didn't have enough time or ingredients to fulfill all the ideas they had....

Latest posts

Back