What about 50% goat ghee and 50% oelic sunflower?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was talking about goat ghee, wich is fat from the goat, but not the meat of the goat!
LOL I got it now.. You meant goat fat as in like the ghee made from the butter, not like a tallow which is the actual fat separated from the meat?

i dont know of any animals that are killed for their fat. killed for their meat certainly, but their fat- no- just a "waste" product.
unfortunately being milked is no "pat on your sweet head" lol, speaking from direct experience

the plains tribes used every part of the buffalo they killed- nothing went to waste.
in that sense, it could be argued that lard and tallow soaps are quite sacred for honoring the animals sacrifices :)

i suppose an argument could also be made for hotdogs :D

i dont know of any animals that are killed for their fat. killed for their meat certainly, but their fat- no- just a "waste" product.
unfortunately being milked is no "pat on your sweet head" lol, speaking from direct experience

the plains tribes used every part of the buffalo they killed- nothing went to waste.
in that sense, it could be argued that lard and tallow soaps are quite sacred for honoring the animals sacrifices :)

PRECISELY my thoughts. I am a huge and complete believer in "from head to tail" -

i make ghee all the time - simmer butter to remove the left over milk solids and you have ghee.

Take pig fat and simmer it and you get lard.

*running around joining the confusion of Matt" :)

Last edited by a moderator:
i make ghee all the time - simmer butter to remove the left over milk solids and you have ghee.

Do you make it with pasteurized milk? As far as I know in Canada all dairy has to be pasteurized. I would assume that includes goats.

Do you make it with pasteurized milk? As far as I know in Canada all dairy has to be pasteurized. I would assume that includes goats.

Ghee is made from butter NOT milk
unsalted butter.
Its simple actually (because i like small words and preferably pictures) - here we go:-

GHEE
Cow has a baby
Cow has milk to feed baby (just like us)
we take cream from milk
We beat the hell out of the cream and it becomes butter
BUT - even if its butter theres still some crap in it
SOOOOO
we boil the butter and strain it to remove all the crap and then we get ghee
Ghee is purer butter and lasts longer

LARD / TALLOW

We kill cow/pig/goat or whatever
we take cow/pig fat and put it in a big pot and boil it
most of the bits of cow/pig fat will melt
The rest of the bits turn into crispy awesomeness
We strain the oil and remove all the crap
then we have
LARD _ PIG FAT
TALLOW - COW FAT
You can make tallow or lard out of any animal fat - but ONLY the fat - nooooo meat in there

Then we make soap out of the oils

(Entirely pleased with herself for typing so much)

BOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you for your detailed explanation. I know what tallow and lard are. I was confused what what ghee was, and how it was was made. Once again thanks.

Yaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
Not so dumb am I
hehehe

No Donee I never thought you were dumb. If anyone is the dumb on it was me, since I didn’t know what ghee was. Anyways, since you previously posted that you actually made ghee my questions were directed at you on how it’s made. You were gracious enough to type out a detailed explanation.

No Donee I never thought you were dumb. If anyone is the dumb on it was me, since I didn’t know what ghee was. Anyways, since you previously posted that you actually made ghee my questions were directed at you on how it’s made. You were gracious enough to type out a detailed explanation.

hahahah. Its all a learning curve.
But there are some really awesome youtube videos on making ghee and tallow and lard
My name is Donee' and I am a youtube junkie...............

First all ghee soap is in the mold. Just made a single bar to test properties of the ghee and to see if there was a bad smell. Used goats milk as liquid.

No. I chose my lightest color ghee. I am a bit skeptical about the deodorizing, so trying it without first.

That first bar had a definite “goaty” smell after saponification. It is like the smell of goat cheese. Unfortunately, the smell lingers on your hands after washing.

I’ve since tried another recipe at 50% ghee and using some peppermint eo for scent.

@ststultz My first concern is how did you determine the SAP value of the ghee, so you could find the correct amount of lye to use? You could add some hemp oil to that soap, it has a lot of vitamin E, which prevents spoilage.

@Matt223 Ingredient cost x 5 is how to determine a profitable costing model. The other ingredients you're not even thinking about including are your packing and marketing. If you're going to outsource your production, your soap will need to cost $20 a bar.

Doubt you're going to get free goat ghee from ststullz.... unless you have your own and just have no idea how to make soap. All you need is an empty milk carton, a sound recipe, oils and lye.

You could add some hemp oil to that soap, it has a lot of vitamin E, which prevents spoilage.

Someone may correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe hemp oil has one of the shorter shelf life of oils. It typically isn't recommended for soapmaking because of that. Not saying that you can't make soap with hemp oil, just that for long term reliability, there are better oils. Vitamin E will protect the oil from rancidity to some extent, but ROE would be a better choice - although I'm not sure if it would work well with ghee. The ghee will still be the determining factor for spoilage regardless of what is added to it.

Whales used to be hunted primarily for their fat. Some whale bone, too. But not for the actual meat.

Back