What about 50% goat ghee and 50% oelic sunflower?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@artemis: why those 2 ingredients? I mentioned why in my original message, but I can be more specific with pleasure. Oleic sunflower oil is the most stable oil available in Canada, all the other ones will go rancid very quickly. As for goat ghee, it is to make the soap harder and make more bubbles. Using goat ghee instead of goat butter is better, since people who tried making soap with cow butter said that it was way less smelling once the butter was clarified, turned into ghee.

I agree with sunflower oil - its cheap and easily available - i have used it in my first 7 batches (i have VERY clean family and neighbours) - best one so far has been sunflower oil, coconut and lard. Surprisingly nice soap.
I pooped myself when my first batch hardened - was running around like a lunatic - didnt wait to long for the lard to cure and am using it after 3 weeks. So far its good lather, good conditioning, good everything.

JUST DONT USE EXPENSIVE PERFUMES IN TEST BATCHES (i may or may not have done this with M&P but I will never admit to it)

Alright guys! I continued my quest to find solution for a truly 100% local ingredient solid soap and in the spirit of exploring and sharing, @Dawni, here's the results! The problem that some people think may come up is that goat ghee might smell. Well! I've found a way to deodorize the ghee 100%. Not only that, but the resulting ghee is said to be the best god **** face cream know to man. It's called Shata-dhauta-ghrita.

Here's a link: http://www.beetsandbones.com/washed-clarified-butter-moisturizing-cream/
Here's another: http://levitatingmonkey.com/shata-dhauta-ghrita-ayurvedic-anti-aging-facial/

Basically, you wisk water in the ghee and drain the water around 25 times and this emulsify and deodorize the ghee, making it an amazeball cream. Yes, it does take some time, but then again, the end result seems pretty awesome.

Now that the smell is out of the way, time to see if someone will try and report back!

I'm admittedly quite a newby here, but even apart from the smell, this just does not seem like a very good recipe. If you find it so promising, you really should try it (no, you absolutely don't need "equipment" for CP soap: I made my first batch on a whim, the only thing I had to get was lye, any hardware store/walmart/etc carries it). But people here will not likely spend their time clarifying ghee (if this works at all) and making soap with what they do not see as a good recipe to start with.

Key ingredient the face cream is missing is a Preservative so I do not suggest making a face cream from this recipe. It is really not emulsifying the goat butter just incorporating water which is Bug food.

Just a little side not, all fats can be washed which is how some use used fats and oils in soapmaking
If you want to know so badly if it works then make a small batch of soap, but do not expect any of us to do it for you. You really need to learn to do your own testing...

I like you Matt, you're an ideas guy.
Most of us on here don't have many :-(
I am with her Matt

@shunt2011: you say you would be suprised to see small soapmakers business be interested in the idea, but get this: I'm proposing to find a unique product that is no where to be found on the market right now: 100% vegetarian and locally sourced ingredients. Thats a huge marketing opening right there for small soapmakers.
Do goats give enough milk to make butter to make ghee from?
What is typically Canadian?
Can Canadians afford such soap ?
Good concept of looking for something that is niche market but that is really narrowing your demographic isnt it?
I agree with the majority of the others - its going to go rancid and stink
Keep the ideas coming.
I smell a brainstorm session coming up

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Donne' and MGM, you guys are refreshing!

That's a pretty nice question! What I know, it that 20L of goat milk makes 1L of goat butter. In my quest asking around local soapmakers, I found that there is at least one soapmaker that do use goat butter and is quite successful, people do buy her products !

Well over here there's sunflower oil, canola oil, goat milk and there is some hemp oil.

I think so yes, if it's marketed accordingly

Good concept of looking for something that is niche market but that is really narrowing your demographic isnt it?
I'm pretty sure you can convince quite a lot of people with a big a-s-s panel at a farmer's market saying: 100% local ingredients soap and some other ingenious marketing concept. Caring about the environnement is a thing that is growing and will continue to grow, so that niche market have a pretty nice future in my opinion

Well, it doesn't! I have a local soapmaker that does use deodorized goat ghee and there's no foul smell at all!

Keep the ideas coming.
Count on me :)

Thanks Donne' and MGM, you guys are refreshing!

That's a pretty nice question! What I know, it that 20L of goat milk makes 1L of goat butter. In my quest asking around local soapmakers, I found that there is at least one soapmaker that do use goat butter and is quite successful, people do buy her products !

Well over here there's sunflower oil, canola oil, goat milk and there is some hemp oil.

I think so yes, if it's marketed accordingly

I'm pretty sure you can convince quite a lot of people with a big a-s-s panel at a farmer's market saying: 100% local ingredients soap and some other ingenious marketing concept. Caring about the environnement is a thing that is growing and will continue to grow, so that niche market have a pretty nice future in my opinion

Well, it doesn't! I have a local soapmaker that does use deodorized goat ghee and there's no foul smell at all!

Keep the ideas coming.
Count on me :)
if you have a local soap maker the uses goat ghee already why aren't you asking them? esp since they are local which should be one of your requirements too

if you have a local soap maker the uses goat ghee already why aren't you asking them? esp since they are local which should be one of your requirements too

I am asking them, of course! I'm asking everyone with knowledge and people that could be interested!

This is what I don't get, Matt....why use goat ghee rather than canola/sunflower/safflower/hemp oil + lard or tallow. The latter is a known -- and highly successful -- formulation which is also affordable.
Matt, are you a lobbyist? Do you represent Big Goat?? Don't think I didn't notice you're from Ottawa....

This is what I don't get, Matt....why use goat ghee rather than canola/sunflower/safflower/hemp oil + lard or tallow. The latter is a known -- and highly successful -- formulation which is also affordable.
Matt, are you a lobbyist? Do you represent Big Goat?? Don't think I didn't notice you're from Ottawa....

I'm not from Big Goat *shifty eyes* LOL !

To get lard and tallow, you have to kill animals, but to get milk, you can just give a little pat on their little cute heads and then extract their milk. That's why! Also, the process of milk is thaus pretty nicer to the environement.

I'm not from Big Goat *shifty eyes* LOL !

To get lard and tallow, you have to kill animals, but to get milk, you can just give a little pat on their little cute heads and then extract their milk. That's why! Also, the process of milk is thaus pretty nicer to the environement.

Well, the animals are already being killed, and their fat thrown away. Does it make more sense to embark on an extremely labour- and resource-intensive process to make ghee from milk (and then wash it 100 times), or to pull the waste product out of the garbage and make soap out of it? I'd argue that sustainability is using waste, not creating waste (labour, water, goat buttermilk).

Well, the animals are already being killed, and their fat thrown away. Does it make more sense to embark on an extremely labour- and resource-intensive process to make ghee from milk (and then wash it 100 times), or to pull the waste product out of the garbage and make soap out of it? I'd argue that sustainability is using waste, not creating waste (labour, water, goat buttermilk).

Oh I absolutly think there is time that using meat fat is obviously the ecological thing to do! For example, someone told me that the restaurant near them was throwing away duck fat, so they got it and made soap. That's pretty cool in my opinion. If the ressource is there, use it! But then, I think buying is voting and it gives power to producer. So I prefer to support a more ecological fat like goat fat, then meat fat.

Last edited:
OMG
Oh I absolutly think there is time that using meat fat is obviously the ecological thing to do! For example, someone told me that the restaurant near them was throwing away duck fat, so they got it and made soap. That's pretty cool in my opinion. If the ressource is there, use it! But then, I think buying is voting and it gives power to producer. So I prefer to support a more ecological fat like goat fat, then meat fat.

Duck fat fried chips - OMG OMG - well now i am starving for a giant rump steak and duck fat chips.

I am a carnivore and I respect everyones choice - mine is just meat.

Isnt Canada known for its syrup? How about a Maple Syrup Soap?

Just chucking in random ideas.

OMG

Duck fat fried chips - OMG OMG - well now i am starving for a giant rump steak and duck fat chips.

I am a carnivore and I respect everyones choice - mine is just meat.

Isnt Canada known for its syrup? How about a Maple Syrup Soap?

Just chucking in random ideas.

Gawd dawmn, duck fat chips? That sound delicious!

Maple syrup is certainly pretty available and affordable, it would give nice lather to the soap it seems, but from what I read, people tend to not use a lot of it in soaps because there would be consequence of overheating, what ever that means.

This thread has certainly piqued my interest. I have just started making soap for family use only. I have a farm and am trying to avoid buying products to make soap and just use what I already make. I have some lard from our pigs, but they aren’t really lard pigs so supply is limited.

However, we have a nice little heard of milk goats. They supply way more milk than we drink, a soapmaking uses a very small portion. Each week we separate all the milk that wasn’t used that week into heavy cream and skim. Skim goes to pigs, cream is used some in coffee, etc. the next week, whatever cream wasn’t used is turned into butter. One of my daughters can’t eat butter, so we also make ghee. A lot of ghee.

So now the freezer is full of more butter than my family can probably use in a year, and I’ve jarred many pints of goat ghee. I thought about using it in soap, but was put off by the threads that talked about the smell. Now I think I might try it anyway in some test batches, with and without washing. I’m not trying to use just local ingredients, just trying to use what I produce.

This thread has certainly piqued my interest. I have just started making soap for family use only. I have a farm and am trying to avoid buying products to make soap and just use what I already make. I have some lard from our pigs, but they aren’t really lard pigs so supply is limited.

However, we have a nice little heard of milk goats. They supply way more milk than we drink, a soapmaking uses a very small portion. Each week we separate all the milk that wasn’t used that week into heavy cream and skim. Skim goes to pigs, cream is used some in coffee, etc. the next week, whatever cream wasn’t used is turned into butter. One of my daughters can’t eat butter, so we also make ghee. A lot of ghee.

So now the freezer is full of more butter than my family can probably use in a year, and I’ve jarred many pints of goat ghee. I thought about using it in soap, but was put off by the threads that talked about the smell. Now I think I might try it anyway in some test batches, with and without washing. I’m not trying to use just local ingredients, just trying to use what I produce.

Nish! What oil do you intend to try with it? Maybe 100% deodorized ghee would be interesting to test!

Isn't Goat Fat "Meat Fat". Maybe I am missing something here...
Meat fat as in dead flesh fat, so an animal is killed for that fat.

Sounds like you and Matt are a perfect match. So long as he can then find a local producer of goat ghee, depending on your soaping success.
I think if I had that much goat ghee, I'd sell it. Apparently goes for $180 USD/gallon.

Sounds like you and Matt are a perfect match. So long as he can then find a local producer of goat ghee, depending on your soaping success.
I think if I had that much goat ghee, I'd sell it. Apparently goes for $180 USD/gallon.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of laws and regulations when it comes to selling goat milk or processed goat milk products like ghee. This is a hobby farm, not a big business. I do give it to friends or family that are interested, but start-up costs for a dairy business is prohibitive at this time.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of laws and regulations when it comes to selling goat milk or processed goat milk products like ghee. This is a hobby farm, not a big business. I do give it to friends or family that are interested, but start-up costs for a dairy business is prohibitive at this time.

Yeah I bet the business part is daunting. Soap-making is too much for me. I agree that giving it away is the best...or, experimenting with soap!

This thread has certainly piqued my interest. I have just started making soap for family use only.

One of my daughters can’t eat butter, so we also make ghee. A lot of ghee.

Now I think I might try it anyway in some test batches, with and without washing. I’m not trying to use just local ingredients, just trying to use what I produce.
Oooh sounds like Matt might finally see results to his ideas!

This is what I meant earlier... If it's accessible and/or cheap, even if results might not be great, I'll say go for it. Which isn't the case for most of us, hence the seemingly negative tone. @ststultz, let us know how it goes if you try your goat ghee! And I like that tagline.. Use what you produce!
Meat fat as in dead flesh fat, so an animal is killed for that fat.
But wouldn't the goat need to be killed to get goat fat?? Or was that a typo and you meant goat milk??

Latest posts

Back