What about 50% goat ghee and 50% oelic sunflower?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why those two specifically, when Canada produces other vegetable oils? Also, goat ghee would mean that vegans would avoid such a soap.
Canola is one, right? I've come across good recipes that had canola and sunflower in them.. As far as stability goes, many have made soaps with less "stable" oils and very few of them ended up with rancidity in their soaps.

Why not lard or tallow? I've read so much about the good of both, and if I can find them I'd be at least trying them. Are they also hard to come by where you are? I have used lard soaps before and I didn't notice any stink, or do you mean while the soap is being made?

I'd also encourage you to try soaping yourself, it's so much fun! And the learning process is fun too. Especially if you already have those two ingredients on hand, or at least have easy access to them. Finding the time might be the hardest part but I, for example, just need a couple of hours (max) before I sleep.

I'm a beginner, and I started with next to nothing equipment - an old slow cooker and an old whisk and spatula, and a milk carton for a mold. You can do with even less if you CP, just a high heat resistant container and your whisk, if you can't get a stick blender. Not sure they cost of lye where you are but here it's not the biggest expense by far.

You might have better luck finding someone willing to come up with a recipe and test it if you contact a local soap maker who has a business. I could probably find fresh goat milk somewhere, but to turn that in to butter to test a recipe that I, personally, am not interested in isn't worth the time and expense. Maybe someone here who has goats, or just out of curiosity, will be willing to try it for you. But essentially what you are asking is that someone take the time and expense to test soap recipes and then give that to you so you can contact someone locally to make it for you and/or sell it.

i'm just thinking about the time and effort it would take to turn goat milk, to cream, to butter, to ghee. yowza.

also might be a challenge to find the proper SAP value for goat ghee
if i were you and wanting to test a soap like that, but you didnt want to make it yourself- get in touch with a soapmaker local to you, and see if they would be willing to create a batch for you if you provided the ingredients and $ for their time and expertise

@dibbles: "But essentially what you are asking is that someone take the time and expense to test soap recipes and then give that to you so you can contact someone locally to make it for you and/or sell it."

No I don't ask for someone to make this for me, I'm asking for people to experiment with this new idea and share the result with the world, not just me! I tought that sharing and exploring new ideas was in the heart of this forum, I am slowly begining to think I was wrong.

I was thinking about an earlier statement that the goat's milk ghee doesn't have the unpleasant odor of cow's milk ghee. Now I am thinking you mean as-is, before being made into soap? This is an important distinction as the soapers are more likely talking about the smell after soaping. Lye can do surprising things to some ingredients. Cmzaha says she has tried "different ghees" and had odor issues with them all. The assessment others have given about the potential quality of this soap is not from sour attitudes or a lack of ideas or an unwillingness to share but is born from experience and a knowledge of how various ingredients behave in the presence of NaOH. The lack of desire to play around with such a thing comes from a desire to not waste money on developing a recipe that they have a good idea will not be profitable in the end.

@artemis: Alright, now we're talking! Can you link to the thread wherer Cmzaha talk about that?

I was not talking about the smell before, but after. I read here in a thread that ghees reduce smell in cow milk, that's why I threw this idea in here.

@artemis: Alright, now we're talking! Can you link to the thread wherer Cmzaha talk about that?

This is the thread. It's in her only post in this thread.

I read here in a thread that ghees reduce smell in cow milk, that's why I threw this idea in here.

Also, can you link to that thread? I have only heard bad things about ghee in soap.

Last edited by a moderator:
@artemis: Oh nice, I didn't catch the last sentence of his comment, thanks!

@cmzaha: I'm looking around all over the place using google site:soapmakingforrum.com and the forum search bar and i'm not finding this thread your referencing. Could you give me some clue how to find it? Were you commenting in the thread? I do not find a signle reference to actual experience with goat ghee in the forum.

It piqued my interest, and probably that of many others. However as experienced soap makers, many of us get to a point where our curiosity over exotic or unique ingredients gets tempered by practicality or reality.

There are plenty of curious and experimental soapers here, and quite possibly there's one who is silent on the forum but driving to a market in search of goat ghee right now.

So despite your idea piquing my interest initially - it's a no for me. You suggested an item that is rare and just not a feasible fat to use in soap making unless you're only make a couple pounds of soap for your family. My personal preference is to also to not use valuable/rare/ingredients in soap or wash off products; rare salts with high mineral contents that should be food, not washed down the drain, oils like argan or meadowfoam, even the shea or cocoa butter in bath truffles that offers little practical use and just gets sent down the drain. (there's a lot of work put into producing those butter under the hot African sun. Use is in a lotion)

@artemis: sure thing! it's this thread: https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/using-butter-to-make-soap.29625/

You can see that the smelling compound of butter is butyric and that goat milk has none
Around the 11th post in that thread, Half Caper Farm says, "I used to work as a buyer for a manufacturer of industrial lubricants. As I recall, caprylic acid smelled a lot like dead billy goats!" Caprylic acid being what the goat's milk has instead of butyric. Doesn't sound promising to me. No real way to know without trying. But if goat's milk ghee is more expensive than oils that work well for me, I will not be trying it myself.

I did not reference any thread in this forum. I mentioned several of us in a now defunct forum played and tested several brands of butters and ghees, and everyone was ended up smelling off. If it did not smell in the bar form it would sure leave an odor on the hands after using the soap. A lot of money and product was wasted during the testing. You want to know if it works, they go for it and try it, but do not expect any of us to test it. I spent a lot of money testing Camel Milk and Camel Fat in soap and it is lovely, but very expensive to make, so I am not beyond testing.

From info I have looked up Goat's milk butter does contain Butyric Acid although in much lower amounts than cow's butter.

@cmzaha: thanks for the info, that's a shame about that forum, all that valuable information lost, only remaining in a couple of you guy's head.

Anyway, I hope someone try it and report the result, for prosperity sake.

I'm asking for people to experiment with this new idea and share the result with the world, not just me!
upload_2019-1-17_14-27-3.png

Last edited:
@dibbles: "But essentially what you are asking is that someone take the time and expense to test soap recipes and then give that to you so you can contact someone locally to make it for you and/or sell it."

No I don't ask for someone to make this for me, I'm asking for people to experiment with this new idea and share the result with the world, not just me! I tought that sharing and exploring new ideas was in the heart of this forum, I am slowly begining to think I was wrong.
I guess I misunderstood what you were saying. If so, my apologies. This forum is about sharing and exploring, but those who have responded aren't interested in exploring this particular idea. Maybe someone who hasn't seen it yet will want to try it, or as @lenarenee said, maybe someone who is on here, but silent is interested.

It is dear, and you'll find most people are willing to experiment with something that is feasible and/or will produce good results.

After cmzaha's earlier comment about already testing several ghees and butters and not producing a good soap, I for one, will not be very keen, and I imagine a lot of others will feel the same, considering she's one of our most experienced soapers here.

Which is where the encouragement to try it yourself, if you have the resources, is coming from. You get to add to the wealth of information on this forum if you do so.

All in the spirit of experimenting, exploring and sharing, right?

Also, I think I get where you are coming from with sourcing local and , however, it's not something that is achievable as to make a good product you'll never find everything you need.

You'll need to get your lye, fragrances/EO's and other items that are not made locally.

Many soap makers do try to use as much from their local regions as possible. Just not always feasible. Like the recipe you are proposing.

You need to look at it from a practical point of view from those of us who have been making and in a lot of cases selling soap for years. There's not much that hasn't been tried at some point and if it's hasn't been tried there's probably a reason for it. Folks have been making soap for 100's of years.

Alright guys! I continued my quest to find solution for a truly 100% local ingredient solid soap and in the spirit of exploring and sharing, @Dawni, here's the results! The problem that some people think may come up is that goat ghee might smell. Well! I've found a way to deodorize the ghee 100%. Not only that, but the resulting ghee is said to be the best god **** face cream know to man. It's called Shata-dhauta-ghrita.

Here's a link: http://www.beetsandbones.com/washed-clarified-butter-moisturizing-cream/
Here's another: http://levitatingmonkey.com/shata-dhauta-ghrita-ayurvedic-anti-aging-facial/

Basically, you wisk water in the ghee and drain the water around 25 times and this emulsify and deodorize the ghee, making it an amazeball cream. Yes, it does take some time, but then again, the end result seems pretty awesome.

Now that the smell is out of the way, time to see if someone will try and report back!

Back