What about 50% goat ghee and 50% oelic sunflower?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt223

Reaction score
I want to be able to access the ingredients for soap locally and not from lard or tallow. Living in Canada, the only choice to have something that doesn't stink and keep hard would seem theoriticly to be a blend of 50% goat ghee and 50% oleic sunflower.

Goat ghee gives hardness and bubbles and oleic sunflower oil would keep the potential smell and rancidity at bay (since 100% goat ghee may smell a bit, 100% oleic may be too soft).

Whatdayall think? I can't test it, I dont have the equipment. Do I peek interest in someone who would like to try it out and share?

Edit: Also, keep in mind that goat butter contain very few butyric acid and thus it does not stink like cow butter.

Last edited:
Hello and Welcome!

I've never used ghee. I've read of folks trying it and saying it stunk to high heaven. Just ghee and sunflower wouldn't be a very good bar of soap in my opinion. Coconut & Castor would help make it a better bar.

Since this is your first post, be sure head over to the introduction forum and tell us a bit about yourself.

I would save the Ghee for cooking. Chances are it is going to smell really bad, and will worsen over time. It is the butyric acid in butters that case the off smell. It can actually stink and does usually stink.

Several years ago in another forum a few of us tried different ghees and butter with no success. Most of us tested between 10 and 20%. While the soap was fine the odor was not tolerable

Guys, there is not butyric acid in goat butter! That is why it does not smell as bad as cow butter. There is one mention that capricic acid may smell, but I did not found anyone who tried goaht ghee, and I would think that cutting it 50/50 with oeleic sunflower would maybe be the best mix for local ingredients.

Any ingredients that comes from elsewhere than from Canada is not what i'm looking for here, so no coconut or palm stuff.

Then I go ahead and give it a try and find out. As stated, don't think it will be a good soap. It will be soap and may get you clean but nothing exciting.

Like I said, I don't have the equipment to test it, so I hope I peek interest in some of you pros.

I don't think you're going to find people willing to buy oils /ghee/lye and use their equipment for you. Maybe if you had started by asking if anyone would be willing to make a test batch for you if you paid for/sent those items rather than hoping to tempt someone into trying it on their own...

Also, an appropriate mixing bowl is a couple of buck, you can get a stick blender on amazon for very little. The most expensive thing is the lye, which I get at the hardware store.

@artemis: I don't want anyone to make me soap, I want to peek interest into testing it from people who are used to making soap.

@MGM: I don't have goat milk, but I bet you could get some in groceries and make butter in a mixer!

Like I said, I don't have the equipment to test it, so I hope I peek interest in some of you pros.

I'm not quite understanding what you are asking/looking for. Plus you edited your post since responses. You asked if you could make soap with just Goat Ghee and Sunflower. Why would any one of us want to make it to test it out for you? Why would our interest be peeked? It would be a meh soap not worth the time or effort to try personally.

Could you possibly try to explain a bit better what you are looking for/want?

Last edited:
@shunt2011 and @artemis : since you both do not understand what I want, i will try to explain it better

I want to find a combination of ingredients that is locally available in Canada to be made into soap. Eventually, I would like to use a soap like that, maybe make it myslef, maybe buy it from a local artisan craftsman, I don't know. But the first thing is to find a receip that works annd I don't have the time, the means and the experience to do it right now.

This is why I come here, because this forum is, I think, full of soap making people with experience and knowledge and I think people here are the kind who like to find new ideas and develop methods and techniques. The goal here, would be to make locally sourced soap, in an eco freindly perspective.

Am I making myslef clearer? Please tell me if there's something you would like me to clarify, if so.

Okay, I get it. We would be more than happy to help you if you list what ingredients you have available. You will likely have to learn how to make it yourself. We make soap for ourselves or our business. There are many soap makers here from Canada. Many here are just learning. As for someone just handing you a recipe, or creating something because of your curiosity, not likely going to happen. You will need to do some of the research yourself. There is a whole lot of information here to read and learn. However, making soap with just the two things you listed, not a good soap so, unless you want to supply the ingredients don't think you'll get any takers. You might get lucky. So, with that, I'll leave this to others.....not interested. Good Luck!

@shunt2011: you say you would be suprised to see small soapmakers business be interested in the idea, but get this: I'm proposing to find a unique product that is no where to be found on the market right now: 100% vegetarian and locally sourced ingredients. Thats a huge marketing opening right there for small soapmakers.

@artemis: why those 2 ingredients? I mentioned why in my original message, but I can be more specific with pleasure. Oleic sunflower oil is the most stable oil available in Canada, all the other ones will go rancid very quickly. As for goat ghee, it is to make the soap harder and make more bubbles. Using goat ghee instead of goat butter is better, since people who tried making soap with cow butter said that it was way less smelling once the butter was clarified, turned into ghee.

Latest posts

Back