What a DISASTER!!! Whyyyyyyy :(

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vidasworld12

Reaction score
I was so excited and have been preping a whole week for this !!

My very first cupcakes with frosting ... what a mess! The first real mess I've done! My other soaps where ugly and not as nice as all of yours BUT I managed with them and still use them ...

So I started off with trying to get lye water n oils to room temp cause it's boiling today .. very humid and sticky ... I added a 5% cream ( and discounted from water ).. added my clay cause that's what they say holds on to fragrance .. and decided to add a bit of salt to lye solution so they could come out a bit harder than last time.. I put batter in cupcake molds last time and a week after un moulding and they were sticky and bottom was ruined ...

So I add cream , clay to oils and give it a beat or two .. then I add the lye solution .. so far so good .. bring it to light trace .. almost forgot the FO but remembered- raspberry vanilla one ... I noticed it was getting a bit thick as I was adding the FO .. so started running to separate batter into two equal parts - one for cupcakes and the other half for frosting.. I add color to one and SB twice .. arghhhhh it's going fast!!!! It's getting sooo thick ! I look at the other half OMG it's going !!!!!! I rush to put into molds and holly molly it's getting super hard on me! I'm rushing .. it's a disaster ! My spatula was stuck in one batter , my gloves came off when I was trying to get the batter into molds .. it was like a crime scene .. wow it went hard so fast .

I got stubborn and quickly tried to spoon into mold and noticed that a bit of the frosting part on top was a bit soft so I quickly put into piping bag and attempted to pipe .... I know I know .. I'm sorry I even did that .. I was just so mad! I couldn't give up right?! Ughhhh by the end I managed to put all the batter in molds and walked away with my head down ... I was so sad .. still am ..

I didn't even get to use my blackberry embeds :( I just made them too - they came out great!

I don't even know if I can post a pic .. it's so embarrassing!

What happened guys??? Seizing??? But because of what ???

All help is always appreciated

It's a sad day for this soaper :cry::cry:

I'm brand new to soaping still so I don't even have any guesses about what happened. I would like to point out one little bright spot. You still have those awesome blackberry embeds.

Haha .. thank you you are right lol

People can be of more help if you post your entire recipe, including the amount of salt and cream. Which manufacturer was the FO from?

Almond 5%
CCO. 25%
OO. 35%
Palm flakes. 20%
Shea butter. 5%
Canola oil. 10%

1.5 lb batch

5% cream + kaolin clay 1tbsp
1 tbsp 1/4 FO. From a Canadian place - suds n scent

And the 1 tbsp salt

Is this the first time you've used the FO you put in this batch? Searching around here, it comes up repeatedly that FOs and EOs sometimes behave badly in soap, and that seems to be generally the first suspect when a soap seizes.

Yes first time ...

Could it be that I used too much cream ?? Cause I just realized that I'm not the smartest pea in the pod and I calculated the cream % wrong ! Wow I'm embarrassed .. :silent:

For some reason I did more than 5% of cream and didn't notice during
It was supposed to be 9.12 oz of water so 5% of that is 0.46 oz
Stupid me put a lot more than that --/ ughhh more like 4.96 oz of water and 4.16 oz of cream!!!!!! Omg!

How did I not notice that .... wow what a stupid mistake !

I'm sure that's what did it??

I don't think it would be from the cream, unless it was really cold when you added it. Yogurt and cream should behave similarly, I would think.

I found this:

I have used yogurt to help smooth out HP soap, even to smooth out CP soap that thickened too quickly because of an FO. It works better if your yogurt is not cold straight out of the refrigerator. Of course heating up the yogurt can make it separate, so it takes some planning to have slowly warmed up yogurt on hand.

But it's not only the yogurt that needs to be warm, everything that comes into contact with your soap batter (utensils, mold, FO, colorants) also need to be hot or as hot as is safe. Adding anything cold to a hot liquid will cool it down.

See this link for additional tips to help with swirls in HP soap.

The thread is here: Fluid hot process soap.

Hmmm now I'm wondering cause so many ppl use this FO .. but your prob right it might be the FO ... what a mess

I wonder if it's still usable ?? I don't care if it's ugly .. I have plenty of uglies I use and are great soaps lol

Btw thx for the replies I greatly appreciate it :)

Hmmm now I'm wondering cause so many ppl use this FO .. but your prob right it might be the FO ... what a mess

I wonder if it's still usable ?? I don't care if it's ugly .. I have plenty of uglies I use and are great soaps lol

Btw thx for the replies I greatly appreciate it :)

As long as it fully saponifies and passes a zap test, then it should be usable. Rebatch, confetti, embed chunks or use as is after it cures.

As long as it fully saponifies and passes a zap test, then it should be usable. Rebatch, confetti, embed chunks or use as is after it cures.

Ya I don't want to Toss it .. I guess I have to wait and see
I just looked at it and it's hard as a rock going through what may look like gel phase lol it's so hard! And heavy ..

Almond 5%
CCO. 25%
OO. 35%
Palm flakes. 20%
Shea butter. 5%
Canola oil. 10%

Coconut and Shea. Every time I combine the two my batter becomes some sort of Nutonian nightmare. It's at a beautiful manageable trace when I blend but as soon as I turn off the blender it immediately hits a thick trace. It immediately turns back to manageable when I start blending again. The soap I get from it is nice, the combination just isn't good for the intricate stuff.

I've never heard of "a Canadian place" FO, does it smell nice? ;p
I think you said a raspberry FO? There is a chance there was a floral note to it which could have contributed to the acceleration. The next time you make cupcakes don't expect to make the base and the frosting at the same time. Everyone I've seen make them in YouTube either has been soaping with the same recipe for a gazillion years and knows all the variables or makes the frosting separately to counteract the possibility of crazy acceleration

Yes I used palm kernel oil flakes .. what does it do ?

I have found that palm kernel flakes can speed things up. I don't avoid using it, unless I want to be sure I have a slow moving recipe. So I would suspect the PKO combined with the coconut and shea. If you were using a black raspberry vanilla FO, those are usually among the most well behaved you can use.

I have found that palm kernel flakes can speed things up. I don't avoid using it, unless I want to be sure I have a slow moving recipe. So I would suspect the PKO combined with the coconut and shea. If you were using a black raspberry vanilla FO, those are usually among the most well behaved you can use.

Ya that's the FO I used .. I have usedPKOF with CCO before and it did well
I guess it's a rebatch

Thx all for your input and great advise ... Rebatch balls it is .. it's a great smell o

Coconut and Shea. Every time I combine the two my batter becomes some sort of Nutonian nightmare. It's at a beautiful manageable trace when I blend but as soon as I turn off the blender it immediately hits a thick trace. It immediately turns back to manageable when I start blending again. The soap I get from it is nice, the combination just isn't good for the intricate stuff.

I've never heard of "a Canadian place" FO, does it smell nice? ;p
I think you said a raspberry FO? There is a chance there was a floral note to it which could have contributed to the acceleration. The next time you make cupcakes don't expect to make the base and the frosting at the same time. Everyone I've seen make them in YouTube either has been soaping with the same recipe for a gazillion years and knows all the variables or makes the frosting separately to counteract the possibility of crazy acceleration

These Canadian place scents are temperamental lol

I figured I'd be faster to do it all at once .. instead of separate .. but !! I'm Gona have to split it up next time ... these little suckers are trickier than they look

Thx again ALL

I will be making these again ! I gotta ... soapy cupcakes are adorable
I'm Gona have to remake the recipe

Last edited:
Back