What’s with the halo?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It may be the lighting or my early stage cataracts, but I do see a bit of darker shade around the orange-ish squares.

You must have tapped them down really well to prevent air bubbles around the embeds. Even when I soap them in the batter for a good while, I still get too many air bubbles and have to spend some time filling them in with soap spackle.

Last edited:
Well, no halos or indents around my little cubes. Top to bottom, unmolded and cut at 24 hrs, 48 hrs, and <72 hrs.
Any idea why you didn't get halos, or is it that waiting 24 hours is longer than a normal cut time?

I'd say that I normally cut at 18-24 hours. I don't think halos around embeds are a given. I don't use a lot of embeds, but I don't experience them every time I do.

I still think that the difference between the cooler embed and the soap batter (even though I tend to soap pretty cool) plays a part in it, and now I wonder if the embed size is also a factor. Although I made a soap a few years ago with tiny soap dough balls and some of those had an indent around them.

Well… I just poured and plopped my soap balls space soap. I kinda want to call it space garbage… I used a lot of my soap scraps and practice embeds. Like I said this soap is gonna be extra! Even glittered and textured the top! But I’m thinking since the base is Activated Charcoal black/grey (for the first time I don’t think I used enough AC) I wonder if a halo will show? I have a feeling it’s gonna be ashy too! 🤨😞

@earlene I think that is just the photo. I can see what you are referring to, but it isn't really noticeable IRL. It might also be that the camera picked up a little of the cube that isn't exposed yet. I cut them as straight as I could, but they aren't perfect. It's more evident around the whiter cubes.

@ResolvableOwl I used mica - no bleeding. Good thought though.

Well… I just poured and plopped my soap balls space soap. I kinda want to call it space garbage… I used a lot of my soap scraps and practice embeds. Like I said this soap is gonna be extra! Even glittered and textured the top! But I’m thinking since the base is Activated Charcoal black/grey (for the first time I don’t think I used enough AC) I wonder if a halo will show? I have a feeling it’s gonna be ashy too! 🤨😞
Awe naaaoohhhh - I hope you keep going. I'm sure you can achieve your vision!!

@violets2217 don't give up on it yet - it could surprise you.
It definitely did surprise me! It’s a pretty awesome soap. The base is not as dark as I’d hope but still works! I thought for a second I saw a halo but then remembered I covered the soap balls with purple mica. Can’t wait to clean the bars up! I’m happy with the results!
image.jpg

I see this bleeding always. So yes, it happens at high usage rates, but at low usage rates too. It's just in the nature of a soluble, mobile colourant (carotenoid dye) to diffuse through the oil/soap matrix. See how this M&P soap looks 18 days after making:
m+p_palm+white_T+18d.jpg
Note how the colour even migrated into the cling wrap.

I see this bleeding always. So yes, it happens at high usage rates, but at low usage rates too. It's just in the nature of a soluble, mobile colourant (carotenoid dye) to diffuse through the oil/soap matrix. See how this M&P soap looks 18 days after making:
View attachment 62051
Note how the colour even migrated into the cling wrap.
Yikes! Thank you. I only have a pound coming, and have been wanting to try it as a colorant. I guess I'll find out for myself soon enough.

Red palm definitely brings some smell, similar in intensity to unrefined cocoa butter. However, it can vary greatly with source (some are more floral, others have some smoke aroma), and I personally do like it. But the yellow suds issue is indeed real.

Back to topic … HALO

butterfly_blue-led.jpg

Another accidental discovery … There is a halo hidden in my October challenge (butterfly swirl) soap, that is only visible under blue light. I cluelessly played with my new RGB lamp, just to discover that, only around the regions in this soap that are coloured with iron oxide pigments, there is a rim that appears lighter than the rest of the soap under blue LED light.
Tried UV – nope, it must be visible blue light. Nothing is visible to the naked eye under white lighting. I'm really clueless what this might be. My best bet would be that the iron oxide somehow destroys one of the yellow pigments from the mustard and/or red palm oil, so that they absorb a bit less of the blue light.

Latest posts

Back