What’s the worst that ricing can do?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Made a batch of “Ione Swirl’ today. The fragrance caused ricing in the colours, but not in the main white part of the batch. I think due to a bigger ratio of FO to the smaller quantity of coloured batter.
Anyway, I proceeded with the batch and I’m worried about what will happen to the batch overall. Hence my question: what’s the worst it can do?

Well the smaller quantities were in paper cups, so i stirred tham as briskly as ai could - but there was no way I was going to get a stick blender in there. If you wait until tomorrow morning for the cut - I will tell you precisely what happened :)

I’ve always thought of ricing as an asthetic issue but I’ve never had a fragrance oil misbehave in that direction (or [insert all the other reasons]).

I’m looking forward to seeing the cut. Could inspire some fun texture play while everyone is quarantined

OK - here's what it did:
IMG_2008.jpeg IMG_2010.jpeg
These are freshly cut pics. See the little weepy pockets? That's where the riced bits caused some separation. Luckily for me they are not zappy - so it's just a bit of oil and nothing dangerous. Please note that this batch was not fully riced - it was in the dark green mostly, but also a little in the other colours (that don't seem to be as affected upon cutting). There was no ricing evident at all in the white portion when I poured it.
Here's a pic of one bar that was cut last night and has dried overnight:
IMG_2013.jpeg
The oil has reabsorbed. SO luckily for me this will still be ok after cure. Don't try this at home folks!

That is the same thing that happened to me with a fragrance I used a few days ago. It riced slightly and I also had the colors in small cups so could not SB it together, and caused a bit of weeping. My fragrance was Wisteria by Fragrance Buddy

Back