Wet to dry ratio for bath bombs.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

icg

Reaction score
I decided to make my bath bombs on Friday, as the following weeks have really low humidity. I'm just worried about the wet to dry ingredient ratio. Since I don't have any clay with me, I don't know if it will be too soft. My oils are poly 80, avocado oil, coconut oil (refined), sweet almond, maybe alcohol, and fragrance/essential oil. I first need a wet to dry ingredient ratio. I have how much dry ingredients I need, but I don't want it too be too wet. Does 1:10 seem good? Once I got that, should at least half of the wet ingredients be poly 80 or maybe 25%. If what I just said confuses me, feel free to ask for clarification. Just asking so I don't waste too much ingredients trying experiments.

I'll post the result pictures once I make them.

Last edited:
Hmm. A bit confused. Your polysorbate seems high. What dry ingredients are you going to use? Keep it simple. I only use 2 types of carrier oils, plus fragrance and a very small amount of polysorbate. How many ounces of dry ingredients? Amount?

I would use ie cups (I do use weight )
2 c Baking soda
1 CA
4 tbsp of oil + as much Poly 80 as essential oils
few sprays of RA 70%

Dry ingredients are the usual - epsom salts, baking soda, corn starch, citric acid. You can consider mica as dry, but it should be mixed with wet... right? I'm thinking a 10:1 dry to wet ratio, with maybe 25% of the wet being polysorbate 80? Or is that too much...

For bath bombs I mix mica with the dry. That way you can easily distribute the color without worrying about setting off the fizzing

I would use ie cups (I do use weight )
2 c Baking soda
1 CA
4 tbsp of oil + as much Poly 80 as essential oils
few sprays of RA 70%

What exactly does rubbing alcohol do to help bath bombs and by your recipe, about a 20:1 dry to wet ratio?

I would adjust it as it go and RA is a binding agent , the oil plus minus, when you mold bb the ingredients must be mixed well and damp like a damp sand, you should see some of the youtube videos

Back