Wet Mica

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

artemis

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I was transferring my laundry from the washer to the dryer and found my small sample bag of "Trial by Fire" IN THE WASHING MACHINE! It is still zipped up, so nothing turned red in the wash (life flashed before my eyes).

It looks, though, like a little bit of water may have slipped into the bag. My question is: what do I do about wet Mica? Is there a way to dry it out without having red mica going all over my house?

Idk. Maybe cut open the bag VERY carefully (over a sink, or somewhere outside if not too windy), place it in a large enough, airtight container next to a few bags of silica gel/dehumidifier granulate, and forget about it for a week or two.

I like RO's idea, but I think you could just carefully open the top of the mica bag a bit, rather than cutting it. Unless you were planning to decant it into another container, in which case, cutting it open would be fine.

I would just open/keep the bag open for a while. Wet mica won't hurt anything - a lot of soapers add water to mica to incorporate into their soap, and the little bit or water that may have gotten into the bag is not going to contaminate a whole batch of soap. (not like you are washing your clothes in poison ;)) So I'm sure it'll be fine by the time you want to use it.

I was transferring my laundry from the washer to the dryer and found my small sample bag of "Trial by Fire" IN THE WASHING MACHINE! It is still zipped up, so nothing turned red in the wash (life flashed before my eyes).

It looks, though, like a little bit of water may have slipped into the bag. My question is: what do I do about wet Mica? Is there a way to dry it out without having red mica going all over my house?

Put the open bag in a glass in the cupboard...top shelf.

Latest posts

Back