Wet dog vs Parfum d'whore

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
You know it's time to shampoo the carpet when you notice the "wet dog" smell in the house upon exiting the soap curing room, right? At least that's my lazy-a$$ method of deduction. So, I bought some Arm & Hammer "Pet Fresh carpet odor eliminator" with "Oxi Clean dirt fighters" to tide me over until I can shampoo the carpets. (It's raining.) The box says "long lasting freshness" and "for maximum odor elimination sprinkle entire carpet." So I did. It does not say HOW much to "sprinkle" over "entire" carpet, so I used the "entire" box. In the living room, hallway, and master bedroom. I went from "oh my gosh HOW MANY dogs did you say you have?" to "oh my gosh, HOW MANY 90 year old ex-whores are you housing?"

This $h*t smells like what I imagine an 1842 French-styled whore house in the American "wild Wild West" would smell like: Cheap, flowery, totally over the top, and nothing like the real thang, baby!

I love the smell of a wet dog! Never again will I attempt to mask that funk with this junk. Oh, good. I've been on here long enough to get the vacuum cleaner out.

I do not like smell of wet dog, but they dry.....:)
I was lucky to have hardwood floors and tiles back home and here too, with breading dogs it is important not to have carpet....My daughter old dog just got skunked and she washed all the carpets. I wonder how it still stinks. I kind of prefer skunked dog that skunked carpet :)

Bwahahaha. My exact plans for my long weekend...carpet shampooing.

Next time just go with baking soda and EOs! That way you control how whorey your place smells. Hahaha.

Ugh. I can imagine exactly the smell of that stuff (I think, you described it well) and bleeeehhhhh

Just baking soda sprinkled on the carpets will help tremendously. And this will sound weird, but pour white vinegar in bowls and station them around the rooms with the worst of the smell. I don't exactly know why this works so well on wet dog smell, but it does.

I just bought a new vacuum cleaner day before yesterday made especially to combat pets. It has a Febreeze air filter in it. It helps slightly but it's also carpet shampooing time here too, and the bank account isn't quite ready yet. Totally stealing the vinegar trick. Clearly my old vacuum was slacking, because I could see where this one had sucked up a LOT of old Carpet Fresh and baking soda powder! I love this new vacuum, it totally rocks! I've gotten so much freaking pet hair out of my house so far. I'm a little nauseated and amazed. Too bad the dog won't let me vacuum him with it, (Although I did get a pet brush, too. I just figure the vacuum would be faster, right? LOL)

Solomon goes outside and somehow finds a mudhole even when it hasn't rained for two weeks. Every. Day. The first thing he does is jump on the bed. It's hard to get him in the bath, too. I have to put the leash on him and literally drag him to the bathroom then pick him up and dump him in the tub, all 70 pounds of him, and he pouts like a big baby the whole way. Once he is IN there, he's fine. But Lawd, getting him in there....it's almost worth smelling Wet Dog to not have to deal with all that mess.....

TwystedPryncess, I know that too well! We have 3 big dogs and they all hate the bath. Sadie has to have regular baths due to skin problems. And she will pout for hours after.

White vinegar is my normal cleaning product. I was actually going to get a spray bottle and just spray it on the carpet as a tide-me-over, but I thought the carpet powder sounded like a good idea. Yeah. Not so much. TwystedPryncess, what kind of vacuum cleaner did you get? I've got a 20 year old Orek and need to invest in something new. I don't think this is doing the job as well as it used to. I might just need to take it in for a complete overhaul and cleaning, though. (No, I have not consistently used it in all that time. I've only had carpets in the house for three years. Before that, it was wood floors that were vacuumed once every few months, but swept/dusted daily-ish.)

Next time just go with baking soda and EOs! That way you control how whorey your place smells. Hahaha.

Ugh. I can imagine exactly the smell of that stuff (I think, you described it well) and bleeeehhhhh

Wondering if I can work the phrase "control how whorey your place smells" into conversation sometime soon.

Back