Were do your soap trimmings and small & old soaps go?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ngian

Reaction score
Some of you might already know but I wanted to show you what I'm going to be doing from this time on with the soap leftovers that we cannot use them easily because of their shape (very thin) and with any trimmings of soap gathered during cutting or beveling of a soap bar.

All these will now be cut down into small pieces and will be collected inside an organza bag which works very well in producing dense lather with its "multi-cultured" soap ingredients!

lastPiecesOfSoaps.jpg

Last edited:
For scraps, I collect 'em all, rebatch them and add activated charcoal and usually some tea tree EO. I don't like ugly brown soap so I mask it, and find the tea tree usually covers up any previous scents.

For slivers left over from used bars, I just stick them onto the side of new bars and continue using them.

I made a soap saver bag out of a wash cloth and decorative ribbon. I kept getting asked about how to use up slivers, so I bought a package of washcloths at the dollar store (a dozen for $2, or something) and a roll of ribbon, and whipped out a stack on the sewing machine in about 20 minutes. I sell them for $2 a piece.

(I sold them for $1 at first, but people kept telling me it was too cheap! Okay, then. I'm happy to take more of your money. $2 it is. :mrgreen: )

If they buy 4 soaps, they get one bag free, if they ask. I vary the colors of ribbon at the top, so everyone can tell theirs apart. They are just big enough that a NEW bar fits in them, too. Some people like that. I am experimenting with ways to add bunny ears, etc. for kids as cheaply and as long lasting as possible. I also crochet, so I'm going to do some experimenting there, too.

If it's easy and inexpensive for me, boots sales, and doesn't take up too much time, it's a bonus. People like accessories. I like the money. We're all happy. :)

~HL~

I do the same kind of thing. These are what I use for my leftover soap slivers that are too small to bathe with: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004GXZOEO/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

With my soap trimmings leftover from cutting/beveling, I just squish them up right after beveling while they are still soft/pliable, and press them into Milkyway-type molds to make bars out of them. Then I stick the molds into the freezer for a day or 2 (or until I remember to take them out) and unmold:

IMG_0912CroppedScraps640.JPG

IrishLass :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I use a muslin bag for soap slivers from used soap. Scraps from cutting and beveling I keep in a container until I have enough for an ugly rebatch (along with any failure soaps).

I made a soap saver bag out of a wash cloth and decorative ribbon. I kept getting asked about how to use up slivers, so I bought a package of washcloths at the dollar store (a dozen for $2, or something) and a roll of ribbon, and whipped out a stack on the sewing machine in about 20 minutes. I sell them for $2 a piece.

(I sold them for $1 at first, but people kept telling me it was too cheap! Okay, then. I'm happy to take more of your money. $2 it is. :mrgreen: )

If they buy 4 soaps, they get one bag free, if they ask. I vary the colors of ribbon at the top, so everyone can tell theirs apart. They are just big enough that a NEW bar fits in them, too. Some people like that. I am experimenting with ways to add bunny ears, etc. for kids as cheaply and as long lasting as possible. I also crochet, so I'm going to do some experimenting there, too.

If it's easy and inexpensive for me, boots sales, and doesn't take up too much time, it's a bonus. People like accessories. I like the money. We're all happy. :)

~HL~

Do you mind sharing a pic of your soapy bags with me? I'd like to try something like that for own use.

Back