Well water

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cal43

Reaction score
What has been you experience with using well water for making soap? I’ve read that’s it’s not good to use. I’ve never used it but I often wonder what reactions are caused by using well water.

Some types of metallic ions in your water can create soap scum which reduces lather. If you make liquid (KOH) soap and want it to be clear, any amount of soap scum will cause the soap to be cloudy.

More importantly, other types of metallic ions can trigger DOS (rancidity) in your soap.

What happens will depend on the type of ions present. Calcium and magnesium ions => scum. Iron, copper, etc. ions => DOS.

Some people use their tap water without apparent problems, but if you do use it and have recurring trouble with DOS, you might consider switching to distilled or demineralized water.

FWIW I have well water that I know is high in iron - leave an orange film on white fixtures high. We have 2 separate water filters for the whole house and the drinking water is filtered a third time through the refrigerator. Even though this leaves us with water that doesn't stain and is odorless, distilled water is so inexpensive that I always use it for soaping. I should add that I haven't had any covid related problems in finding it here, which it seems some people are experiencing elsewhere.

Back