Well tomorrow is the day

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My heart goes out to you and your fur baby. Have plenty of cuddles with him and a great big hug from me too.

Thanks everyone. I'm still processing the news. Lotsa hugs and I have decreed that from now on Axle gets to sleep wherever in the house he wants. But yeah the news sucks and we are taking things 1 day at a time. He will let us know when he is ready. I got some pamphlets about cremation services today. Haven't gotten up the nerve to look at them yet. I managed to get a good pic of him yesterday though. He's gonna be getting followed around with the camera heaps. He hates having his picture taken so I'm sure there will be heaps of photos with him turning away. heres a couple.

the good shot
fJuV9hF.jpg

Nope
T7NgEj6
T7NgEj6.jpg

Ive had enough
uS2L7fT.jpg

That's a lovely top photo. He's probably saying - Mum, you only get one, good, posed photo a day out of me.

As long as he's still eating, pooing and doing doggy things, one day at a time is good.

My uncle had many rotties over the years so I'm kinda partial to them. Axle looks like such a sweetie too! I'm sending huge virtual hugs to both of you from across the pond. I was in the same position back in July when my horse-of-a-lifetime took a turn for the worse. I know what you're going thru and you WILL know without a doubt when it's time . . . until then enjoy every minute you have with him.

Furry Babies

Our Furry Babies mean so much, as others have said I understand. Our dear little Snoodle was given her ticket to Heaven only last Monday. At 15 years old, she was lucky to have made it that far! She had a date with the needle at 8 with a compression fracture in her back. The Vet said surgery (at that time) would be costly, painful and without guarantees of recovery! But she surprised us all when she decided to go up and down stairs! My point is: they will let you know when it's really time and (just my opinion) we are often kinder to our "Furry Babies" in the end than our human families! Like Snoodle I hope/pray your precious baby outlives the expectations of his Doctor! As hard as it is to believe knowing makes every day you have together a bonus!

image.jpg

I'm very sorry to hear this was the result. It's never easy to let a beloved member of the family go. I know this will probably be little comfort, but letting him go when he's ready (rather than when you are) could be one of the most selfless and loving things you can do for him.

We love them all their lives, and they love us back with all the unconditional devotion their little bodies can muster. Of all the things we do throughout their life to keep them happy, at the end we have a chance to put them ahead of our feelings and say goodbye before they have all that pain. Some people hold on so long with surgeries and tests and medicines, and I wonder if they're really doing anyone any favors.

It's so hard to say goodbye, but when the time comes it will be the right thing to do no matter how hard it is.

Spoil him, love him, (hug him a few times for me), make some new memories. Know that you gave him a happy life and someone to watch over which is really all any dog wants.

I've been following this but not responding because I have too much to say.

I'll make this as short as possible, because someone's awful experience, prevented one for us and our 18 year old cat.

First, you have my deepest sympathies.

Research the crematorium - very thoroughly. If you can find one, and if you can stand it try to find one where you can oversee the process. (my very good friend did not get her beloved's dog's ashes back...she, and about 30 others got a mix of ashes.

Don't wait too long to end it. Make sure you know how to tell how much pain your dog is in. My neighbor waited too long...and the process itself was extremely painful for the dog and he didn't have a peaceful passing.

My kitty and I had a gentle, effortless passing outside under a shade tree, and she sits in a lovely cedar box because my friends and veterinarian made sure to educate me.

I dearly wish this for you and your dog.

Dill, I am so sorry you are having to go through this. I know how very painful it is. I wish I had words to help, but there just are none. Hugs to you and your beautiful boy.

Its with a very sad heart that I let you all know that Axle was put to sleep this morning. He went peacefully after gobbling down a bunch of treats.

Unfortunately yesterday he broke his leg at the site of the tumor and he was in so much pain we just couldn't let him continue in the state that he was.

If it wasn't for the leg you would never have known anything was wrong with him. My brave knuckle-headed boy, you were such a great dog and I'll miss you each and every day.

Every time I lose a pet, I say, "Never again. It hurts too much." I think we love our pets in a different way than we love people. It's a much simpler kind of love, not so complicated with expectations. But not every pet is the same. Sometimes we develop a really deep connection. And when we lose those pets, they take a piece of us with them when they go. I think of myself as a spiritual person, but not religious. I'm not sure what happens to us when we die, but I have to believe that somehow we are reconnected with those people and animals that we connected deeply with during our lifetime. You loved Axle, and gave him a good life. I firmly believe that he will be waiting for you on the other side, tail wagging, looking for more treats. And I hope that when you're ready, a new four legged friend will come into your life to love and be loved.

And from "The Last Will and Testament of an Extremely Distinguished Dog"
One last word of farewell, Dear Master and Mistress. Whenever you visit my grave, say to yourselves with regret but also with happiness in your hearts at the remembrance of my long happy life with you: "Here lies one who loved us and whom we loved". No matter how deep my sleep I shall hear you, and not all the power of death can keep my spirit from wagging a grateful tail.

Back