Well that was an ordeal..

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corsara

Reaction score
That soaping session nearly had me swearing 😬😅
first I made the mistake of setting my identical container of water right next to my lye container, and panicked for a second before realising the lye one would be hot.
I then realised I forgot to line my mold, as I took it apart several times during the 30 minutes I spend doing bad math trying to calculate my volume and recipe size. By the time I lined it, my oils were at 150 degrees, and my lye was nearly cool.. why oh why is lining molds so awful?!

I thought pine tar was an accelerator, so why on earth did my batter take 20 minutes to trace? Of course I didn't have a power supply available, because I wasn't planning on using my stick blender. After dragging the extension cable over, I confirmed my theory that, no, I cannot SB in that size tub, and yes, it will spill over the edge. 20 minutes and a container transfer later, it started curdling, and I panicked even more! Not 30 seconds of stirring after that, it suddenly pulled together in to a thick trace without a moment's notice!

I think I need a drink.

Edit: and nothing will stick to my mold to hold the lining, not even duct tape.

You have my full sympathy!

On the lining problem, I don't know if this will work for you, but I've been using a dab of coconut oil on my fingers to stick the lining paper to the mould and I've found it works reasonably well.

When my blue painter's tape doesn't stick (like if I get the mold greasy or so much soap has spilled on the outside over time & leaves it tape-adhesive hostile), what I do is tape the tape to itself by doing a full tape-around the entire mold (like you do with a rubber-band around a box). Then it holds the liner in place. I use freezer paper, so with a lip that folds over that I want to stay down during the pour, taping around the outside where the tape surrounds the outer sides of the box and is taped onto itself works. I wish I had a picture to show you what I mean, but couldn't find one.

For one of my molds, I use wooden clothespins to hold the floppy silicone in place until the pour is in and can prevent the silicone from flopping.
1615901880328.png

Maybe one of those tricks can help.

When my blue painter's tape doesn't stick (like if I get the mold greasy or so much soap has spilled on the outside over time & leaves it tape-adhesive hostile), what I do is tape the tape to itself by doing a full tape-around the entire mold (like you do with a rubber-band around a box). Then it holds the liner in place. I use freezer paper, so with a lip that folds over that I want to stay down during the pour, taping around the outside where the tape surrounds the outer sides of the box and is taped onto itself works. I wish I had a picture to show you what I mean, but couldn't find one.

For one of my molds, I use wooden clothespins to hold the floppy silicone in place until the pour is in and can prevent the silicone from flopping.
View attachment 55180

Maybe one of those tricks can help.

That tape idea sounds fantastic! I'll definitely try it.

It depends on the style your husband made for you, obviously, but the wooden molds I have are kept closed with a wooden frame. I use binder clips to hold the freezer paper in place. For the HDPE molds, I've found that Scotch tape works best.

Attachments

• 20200919_103105.jpg
    20200919_103105.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 5
I also find that binder clips work well to hold the freezer paper in the wooden mold. I tried masking tape but that would not hold everytime.
^Came here to say the same: binder clips work very well. Just be sure the soap doesn't come in contact with the metal so there is no risk of DOS.

Also, consider breaking up with freezer paper. I created reusable mold liner pieces from a roll of oven liner. I like this one because it comes in one long sheet, instead of several pre-cut sheets. Just cut it to fit the bottom and each side of the mold. You can lightly tape the seams together if you'd like, but mine fit so tightly that little to no soap leaks out. I did have to tape/clip it to the sides after I first cut it, until the curl (from being rolled in the delivery box) relaxed, and it laid flat. Now it stands up pretty much by itself inside the mold. Peels right off the soap, wipes clean, and gets put away for the next soapy adventure. :)

That looks like a great product, AliOop! But it also says it is coated with PTFE (Polytetrafluoroethylene ), which is Teflon, which I believe is advised against using with soap, as lye soap will cause some deterioration of Teflon. Have you noticed any Teflon smell when you CPOP soap in molds with your liners made from the product?

I don't particularly like the smell of hot Teflon, so I'd probably not want one of these when it's coated with Polytetrafluoroethylene. But I do like the idea of it. I have also made my own liners with different similar products, but I keep going back to freezer paper. 😻

^Came here to say the same: binder clips work very well. Just be sure the soap doesn't come in contact with the metal so there is no risk of DOS.

Also, consider breaking up with freezer paper. I created reusable mold liner pieces from a roll of oven liner. I like this one because it comes in one long sheet, instead of several pre-cut sheets. Just cut it to fit the bottom and each side of the mold. You can lightly tape the seams together if you'd like, but mine fit so tightly that little to no soap leaks out. I did have to tape/clip it to the sides after I first cut it, until the curl (from being rolled in the delivery box) relaxed, and it laid flat. Now it stands up pretty much by itself inside the mold. Peels right off the soap, wipes clean, and gets put away for the next soapy adventure. :)
That sounds fascinating!! I definitely want some other option, lining molds is not my forte.

That looks like a great product, AliOop! But it also says it is coated with PTFE (Polytetrafluoroethylene ), which is Teflon, which I believe is advised against using with soap, as lye soap will cause some deterioration of Teflon. Have you noticed any Teflon smell when you CPOP soap in molds with your liners made from the product?

I don't particularly like the smell of hot Teflon, so I'd probably not want one of these when it's coated with Polytetrafluoroethylene. But I do like the idea of it. I have also made my own liners with different similar products, but I keep going back to freezer paper. 😻
Hi Earlene,
I also can't stand Teflon in cookware, but I don't smell any Teflon when using these. However, I also don't CPOP, so I cannot speak to how they might smell in the oven. Occasionally I do use a heating pad if I need extra heat for gelling, but have noticed no smells then, either. No deterioration has happened to mine, even after several years of use with CP soaps, including those poured at thin emulsion (and thus with lots of active lye). I have seen others do something similar with silicone sheets, but those are floppier and don't stay upright in the molds like these do.

I should disclose that this idea wasn't mine. Upon purchasing a used slab mold from another soaper, this mold came with the pre-cut liners. The whole set-up was made by For Craft's Sake, so perhaps this was their idea. They do sell the liners with many of their larger molds.

Since I cannot cut a straight line to save my life, it took me awhile to get up the courage to buy more liner and cut it to fit other molds, as well. It is surprisingly easy to cut using a straight-edge with scissors or a craft knife, and the cut edges don't fray too easily, either.

Thank you, AliOop. I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with these. The fact that they stand up well on their own and don't flop over like so many other home-made inserts often do, certainly makes this a nice option.

I have also used the Dollar store cutting mats to make reusable liners. I'm less crazy about those because of their thickness, and how hard they are to cut evenly without creating sharp edges that slice my fingers if I don't handle them just right.

However, they do work very well, are inexpensive, eliminate the Teflon concerns, and are readily available (i.e., no need to order from the Evil Empire of Amazon).

ETA: the leftover pieces make nice mold dividers, too!

Last edited:
Just regular floppy plastic cutting mats?!
I have also used the Dollar store cutting mats to make reusable liners. I'm less crazy about those because of their thickness, and how hard they are to cut evenly without creating sharp edges that slice my fingers if I don't handle them just right.

However, they do work very well, are inexpensive, eliminate the Teflon concerns, and are readily available (i.e., no need to order from the Evil Empire of Amazon).

ETA: the leftover pieces make nice mold dividers, too!

Back