Well soapmaking...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fuzz-juzz

Reaction score
was and is apparently one of the worst jobs in the history :D

I came across this video not long ago, just sharing it for those who might have not seen it already.
I love when the guy says in the end of the video, how in olden days soap WAS made with tallow. I guess it was a while since he's seen labels on soap sold at supermarkets. :lol:

P.S. this is not the correct way to make soap

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_XDL0Wxpn0[/ame]

Last edited:
This is what comes to mind when watching that

xbYK0Eo.jpg

The guy being interviewed might have simplified things a bit, but pretty much what he said about 1800s commercial soap making was accurate from what I've read in the soap making manuals of the day. The rendering process did make use of anything and everything that would supply fat. It was a disgusting job, especially in the summertime. Ugh.......

The guy being interviewed might have simplified things a bit, but pretty much what he said about 1800s commercial soap making was accurate from what I've read in the soap making manuals of the day. The rendering process did make use of anything and everything that would supply fat. It was a disgusting job, especially in the summertime. Ugh.......

Animal rendering is still pretty much alive and happening without many of us even thinking it's there.
If only 1% of what was shown on of the episodes of Dirty Jobs, I don't really want to buy any commercial cosmetics made with tallow, or beef product like actual meat or pet food. But as consumers, we don't have much choice, do we?
:sick:

Animal rendering is still pretty much alive and happening without many of us even thinking it's there.
If only 1% of what was shown on of the episodes of Dirty Jobs, I don't really want to buy any commercial cosmetics made with tallow, or beef product like actual meat or pet food. But as consumers, we don't have much choice, do we?
:sick:

Rendering companies make a killing in the states. Their biggest clients tend to be big companies who enjoy supporting the pet health industry in their wallet raperies.

When I get another pet, I told my sister I was not getting the food in the groceries, especially since If wheat or corn is not the first ingredients, meat (take a guess at what that is) and meat by-products was another issue I have.

That's not to say I would spend top dollar and buy a brand like Orijen, but I rather spend a little more and get my pet a food that won't kill them as fast and many commercial foods do.

Rendering companies make a killing in the states. Their biggest clients tend to be big companies who enjoy supporting the pet health industry in their wallet raperies.

When I get another pet, I told my sister I was not getting the food in the groceries, especially since If wheat or corn is not the first ingredients, meat (take a guess at what that is) and meat by-products was another issue I have.

That's not to say I would spend top dollar and buy a brand like Orijen, but I rather spend a little more and get my pet a food that won't kill them as fast and many commercial foods do.

That's why my freezer is full of freshly frozen offal and meat off cuts for my new kitties. :grin:

I'm not sure about figures, but I think most pet foods can contain only about 25% meat and small percentage of those 25 being meat that's stated on the label, let say beef or chicken or whatever. I can only imagine what's the rest. It's so badly regulated, or unregulated is better word.
Even the shop bought so called "fresh meat" for pets is not good for them. It's full of preservatives etc that can mess with pet's health. What kind of "fresh meat" is that if expiry date is in 6 weeks...

Back