Well, I bought a...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would like to thank you @Tara_H … this post has me thinking of all the possibilities that 3-d printing offers. I just messaged my favorite 3-d mold presses shop on Etsy, wondering if her professional grade filament would withstand the soap making process as a square column mold…I’m shaking my head right now because I’ve always wanted a 3-d printer but know nothing about them, just like I’ve always wanted to learn to weld for no other reason than I want to make pretty yard art! This freaking hobby is bleeding me dry! 😅😂🤣🥲

Got some new filament, now I can make things in more than one colour!

IMG_20210622_225107.jpg

Ohhhh - I like it! Is it raised ever so slightly in the middle? On first glance I was going to suggest putting in some slight ridges, as a soap dish similar to this left my soap a bit soggy where the soap touched the parts with no holes. My solution was to put one with little spikes atop the dish...but if it's raised in the middle, that might solve that problem.

Ohhhh - I like it! Is it raised ever so slightly in the middle? On first glance I was going to suggest putting in some slight ridges, as a soap dish similar to this left my soap a bit soggy where the soap touched the parts with no holes. My solution was to put one with little spikes atop the dish...but if it's raised in the middle, that might solve that problem.
It's a little bit curved - the sunken part started off as the top of a sphere, so although it's been tweaked a lot since then, it's not entirely flat.

I love the idea of 3D-printing with wood filament! But is it long term water-proof without restriction?
Should be - it's wood fibres combined with pla filament so 'technically' biodegradable, but at normal household conditions for using a soap dish I'd expect it to last indefinitely. I'd be more concerned about any UV light it might be getting since that will contribute to it degrading... In a timeframe of months/years it will become more brittle, but that shouldn't be too much of an issue unless it gets dropped 🤔

We'll see. In any case, a good soap dish makes it easy for the soap to dry up, so it should be in reach to design it that way that it keeps itself dry as well. And for the UV protection part – just put tons of TD into the soap as a natural UV blocker; well, joke aside, I don't think household UV intensities are a problem, and if so, it'd be a problem for the soap as well. In the end, soap and plastics aren't that different from a fundamental chemical point of view.

I had to come back and look at this soap dish, @Tara_H because I'm really so impressed with not only the design, but also your quick skill in obviously mastering, or at least coming close to mastering, 3D printing and the associated software. I'm sure there was some hard and heavy research and reading done on your part but your negligible learning curve in all things continues to amaze.

P.S. When do we get to place our orders???? :)

We have to proceed diplomatic, in small steps. @Tara_H must be led to believe it's for her own pleasure. I'd propose this as a first model:
View attachment 58950
Haha ok that's actually kind of awesome!

But wouldn't you rather have a nice plastic soap curing rack? (The next version will be stackable!)
IMG_20210628_144014.jpg

@Tara_H When do you intend to start 3D-printing pull-through plates?
Oh, thanks for the reminder! It was definitely part of the plan but had slipped my mind... As if my 'to-print' list isn't long enough already!!

I did get the stackable rack done overnight, I think it's looking pretty good :)
IMG_20210630_095704.jpg

Oh, thanks for the reminder! It was definitely part of the plan but had slipped my mind... As if my 'to-print' list isn't long enough already!!

I did get the stackable rack done overnight, I think it's looking pretty good :)
View attachment 59014
Fab. How does it feel for sturdiness? I'm wondering how high you can stack them and how much weight they can take once stacked full of soap.

So where did you find that design? It must be a pretty handy site. Or did you design it yourself?

Fab. How does it feel for sturdiness? I'm wondering how high you can stack them and how much weight they can take once stacked full of soap.

So where did you find that design? It must be a pretty handy site. Or did you design it yourself?
Oh, I designed it myself :)

It seems to be pretty sturdy - I want to make at least 5 and stack them to be sure they'll be solid, but I think they will. If not I can tweak the design until I'm happy with it. The only thing I'm planning on doing immediately is making a base for the bottom feet to sit into so that they don't splay out - it's showing a bit of a tendency to do that on glossy surfaces 🤔

Latest posts

Back