Well I am addicted

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Momstop

Reaction score
Made my first batch 1 week ago to the day, it’s curing away still, enticing me to make more while I wait to try them! Made 2 more batches this week, tried a swirl and then decided to see what a milk soap looks like without colour... looks yummy! I honestly want to quit my job and just make soap for the rest of my life lol not that I actually can... yet!

So many other recipe ideas I want to try! Let’s see some pictures of your favourites or if you’re like me, your firsts!
46227238-0D4B-4C6E-9C8B-15A519B71D9A.jpeg 246B50D1-BFD1-46CF-B1F6-C847395B049E.jpeg B9D03898-7CC5-4E63-BDBF-1DE21A034CED.jpeg

Made my first batch 1 week ago to the day, it’s curing away still, enticing me to make more while I wait to try them! Made 2 more batches this week, tried a swirl and then decided to see what a milk soap looks like without colour... looks yummy! I honestly want to quit my job and just make soap for the rest of my life lol not that I actually can... yet!

So many other recipe ideas I want to try! Let’s see some pictures of your favourites or if you’re like me, your firsts!
View attachment 44232 View attachment 44233 View attachment 44234
It's addicting! I wanted to do the same thing but I know it will be a while before I can quit my job and do what I like. Good first batches.

Let me advise you to line the racks you have the soaps curing on. Even coated racks can cause dos issues especially if there is even a tiny nick in the coating allowing the under metal to come through. You can use think dish towels, parchment paper, butcher paper, waxed sandwich paper, needlepoint plastic sheets, brown paper etc

Made my first batch 1 week ago to the day, it’s curing away still, enticing me to make more while I wait to try them! Made 2 more batches this week, tried a swirl and then decided to see what a milk soap looks like without colour... looks yummy!

Yes it is addicting. I was only planning on making one batch a week and then I went and bought three more molds because I wanted a couple of 1lb because I had screwed up a few 2lb batches and didn't like wasting ingredients.

I honestly want to quit my job and just make soap for the rest of my life lol not that I actually can... yet!

I hadn't planned on making a business out of it, it just worked out that way. And right now I'm not making any soap because 1) I got ahead of myself, and 2) it's tax season and I simply don't have time to.

NOT in any way to discourage you because there is plenty of room for more soap makers, but take it slow. Give yourself six months to get settled in...find your rhythm, develop a good recipe and set a budget on how much you can spend on your new 'hobby'. I have a $100 budget...that might sound like a lot, but it's not and that's okay...keeps me in check. I started with sample packs of micas and trial size bottles of scents. I started with a ruler and a knife to cut my soaps, then bought a cheese slicer that I modified. I lucked out on picking up a single soap cutter at half-price or I would still be using my cheese slicer.

My biggest expense this past year was a rolling kitchen island that I bought...I LOVE IT! All my soaping equipment and supplies are in one place. My husband bought me a heavy duty cutting board with a 'moat' around it for the top and I bought a roll of that non-slip shelf liner for under it.

Let me advise you to line the racks you have the soaps curing on. Even coated racks can cause dos issues especially if there is even a tiny nick in the coating allowing the under metal to come through. You can use think dish towels, parchment paper, butcher paper, waxed sandwich paper, needlepoint plastic sheets, brown paper etc
Thank you so much I had no idea! Just moved them onto wax paper

Thank God! I thought I was going bonkers. My family already can’t understand why I make soap. I told my family that I really love making soap. What I really wanted to tell them was the truth...I was addicted making soap! I LOVE LOVE LOVE making soap. But they wouldn’t understand. They just don’t understand. But it IS so much fun! So you all ‘get it’. Thank you.

Thank God! I thought I was going bonkers. My family already can’t understand why I make soap. I told my family that I really love making soap. What I really wanted to tell them was the truth...I was addicted making soap! I LOVE LOVE LOVE making soap. But they wouldn’t understand. They just don’t understand. But it IS so much fun! So you all ‘get it’. Thank you.

And only people who have made soap and feel the same way get it. We are all a bunch of enablers who don't want to "get clean" (pun intended).

Yes, I do understand. I just start to do soap and wow!! Now I am hook!! I don't have a garage or a nice proper place to make them so I am using my bathroom. Now that I start a whole new world is open for me. Never was good in math or science I am mildly dyslexic and I can do this!!! Amaze me.

It’s getting bad guys lol just finished batch number 5, trying out red palm oil... it does not play well with colours apparently... even charcoal only turned it green.
Not sure what I’m going to do with 60+ bars of soap... still got TONS more ingredients too, hope my family and friends like them!

Ohhhh, we Soapers are a mad bunch! What a marvellous thing to be addicted to :). I love how gentle the homemade soap is on my skin. It’s just wonderful to be able to shower every single day, as long as I want to, and never feel my skin is tight, dry and chapped. And especially now, when frequent hand washing is a must! More people should try the homemade stuff. I had to attend my father’s funeral this Summer so I brought two boxes of soaps and passed them out in scads. “All flavours for everyone! Take as many as you want, let me know how you liked them! Be critical, I am fine with criticism. I need feedback! Help yourself, try one of each! Free today for family!” It was good to unload them as it leaves more room for new stuff coming. :)

Not sure what I’m going to do with 60+ bars of soap... still got TONS more ingredients too, hope my family and friends like them!
Find a local shelter or non-profit that will accept soap donations! It's a win-win-win: you get to make soap, they get to receive soap, and you get to feel good about doing good for others.

Back