Welcome to the SMF Family!! Please read this first :)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I am new to soap making. A lovely Spanish friend showed me how to do it. We made a few 100% olive oil bars, I am a convert. As I have eczema I've always been fussy about the soaps I use. I look forward to trying lots of new recipes. I live in England.

New Post

Hi everyone. My name is Faith and I'm just getting into soapmaking. I'm so excited. But my question is where do you get your supplies from? I was looking at Bramble Berry. I enjoy ready all the posts.
Thanks!!

Thank you for the welcome and the link. I can't believe how many questions I have. And I want to do this NOW. :?

garden friendly soap

Hi, my name is Ignacio, I live in Chile.
Yesterday I make my first soap bar following a youtube video (Learn to make olive oil soap). Just to experiment (probably an error in my first experience) I add some peanut butter.
The soap is ok, but release a strong ammonia smell when I use it. That´s the way I found this forum, and found the answer to others with the same issue. So I will wait a few days to continue using it.

Now I'm wondering if here I can find the solution to another topic: I'm looking for a gray water friendly laundry soap or detergent.

Thanks

Hi Ignacio,

Welcome to the forum! :wave:

I don't know why your soap has an ammonia scent unless it has something to do with the peanut butter. I've never added PB to soap so I don't know if it would produce an odor.

You might want to ask this question in the CP section so people will see it and hopefully someone can answer it. http://www.soapmakingforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11

It's recommended that soap be cured at least 4 weeks so excess water will evaporate for a harder, longer lasting bar. However, 100% or a high percentage of olive oil in soap tends to benefit from a longer cure to help improve the lather.

:wave: My name is Dee and I live in Ga. I have made candles for many years, I have made some soap, but really would like to getting into making more in different variety's

Thanks for letting me join..
Not a lot of soap making, except for the odd and end pieces redoing them, but I do make bath salt scrubs, but I am really interested in learning How to, just for making and giving as gifts...

Soap Making Supplies

Hi EvilNurse,

I have used Brambleberry to order supplies before & I love their customer service however I live on the East Coast and it takes over a week & a 1/2 for me to get my packages. I have found Soap Making Resources http://www.soap-making-resource.com/ and they are in Lancaster PA which is only about a 3 hour road trip from my hometown of Williamsport, PA. Very quick, I place an order 1 day and I get it the next.:razz:

Happy to fine all of you

Hello Beautifull soap makers
I'm an older lady.. Self taught mp only
Made soap about 15 years.. Now back
A friend opened a hand made store for items
Wants my soap.. So happy.. But need to
Remember. All the tricks.. Started a few. Weeks ago
White soap turning brown... Have lots of supplies
Now I'll just need all of you ...thanking everyone in advance
Excited to talk to such friendly people who love
Soap Makeing..
Love to all
Kathy

Hi Kathy,

Did you use a fragrance with some vanilla content in it? Vanilla causes soap to discolor.

Brown soap

Hi Kathy,

Did you use a fragrance with some vanilla content in it? Vanilla causes soap to discolor.

Hazel
I guess it was banana nut bread..
Used white base .. Yellow block no bleed from bramble berry
Turned soap .. Orange red. After 3 days..
Wanted to make bars yellow .. With banana frangrance..
Really weard ... Didn't thing if u use a color would turn totally. Different.
Never had that happen before..maybe the mica in i
Need to find a new company with better fo
That are strong..that the. Smell lasts..
Thanks sooo much for getting back to me
What is. The time Change in ohio what town
Your new friend
Kathy Manteca ca
Hugs

I'd say the soap turned brown from high vanilla content if the banana nut bread FO you used is similar to some of the BNB FOs from other suppliers. I'm fairly sure your soap will discolor no matter what company's BNB you use. You might want to check for banana scents which don't have vanilla in them.

Hello Everyone

My name is Rory, I am from San Diego, California. I have been making soap for two years nows and still learning. I enjoy reading about others people soap projects and their pretty pictures. Very insperational.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back