Welcome to the SMF Family!! Please read this first :)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad to have found the forum

Hello, My name is Brya and
I have been im business since 2008 making gift baskets
since then I have morphed a few times til I found soap.
It has been a bit rocky since finding Lye is difficult and
this is not exactly a cheap craft to undertake. I am
having a lot of fun and learning a lot as well.

Who ever said 60 is old has never had the fun of soap making!

Welcome Brya! I agree that it is not the cheapest hobby that one can take on, but it is very rewarding. I am just starting out and have found that starting up is a bit expensive for those on a limited budget. I am figuring that the cost will go down a bit once I have the basics that I need (at least I hope it will).

Hi Brya,

Welcome to the forum! You can get started inexpensively by buying oils at the grocery, using cardboard boxes or drawers lined with trash bags, etc. There are several discussions about starting to make soap by being creative and re-purposing items you may already have or be able to get free. Sometimes thrift shops can be an excellent source for utensils, molds, etc.

Here are a couple but I know there are more. I just couldn't find them quickly.

http://www.soapmakingforum.com/f11/setting-up-cp-soaps-inexpensively-32319/

http://www.soapmakingforum.com/f11/what-okay-mixing-lye-besides-steel-32211/

Lots of questions

Hello. My name is Cindy. I am 42 yrs old. I am married with 3 grown children and a 2 yr old that will be 3 on March 12th. I know, I know lol. I have a grandson that is 4 that will be 5 on March 21st. I have a granddaughter that is due March 14th. I am soooo excited for that. I work full time as an RN on an adolescent unit at a psychiatric facility in East Tennessee. I have never made soap but really, really want to start. I have made some whipped body butter and sugar scrubs and really like them. I have so far only given them away to friends. I would like to start selling products but don't want a business per se. I just want to sell them at work, my mom's work, etc. I may eventually use Etsy or FB. I have lots of questions about that. I have been reading this forum and love it, so hopefully some of you can help.
I want to know if I get a name for my "business" if it has to be registered or copy writed?
If I use a certain FO, do I have to use that as the name of my product or can I change the name? For instance, if I use butt naked, can I change the name to Sunnin' Naked or something?
Can I use the name of another product that I like, such as unicorn burps?
What about using images from the web? I see a lot of the same images used on different sites for a specific fragrance oil. How does that work?
Am I required to put the ingredients on all packages?
Please keep in mind that I know nothing (I didn't see nothin', I didn't hear nothin'...lol). Any advice will be greatly appreciated. I apologize for the long intro. Thank you guys.

Last edited:
Hi Cindy,

Welcome to the forum! When do find time to make things between work and a 2 year old? :grin:

These are a lot of questions to answer and since they're business related, I'd like to suggest you copy and paste the questions in the General Business forum. More people will see them there and the answers you receive might be helpful for other people who are interested in starting a business.

Briefly, I will say that if you want to start a business, you will need to register your business and pay taxes. I highly recommend insurance, too. Here's a link to a post about being ready to sell which will also give you some information. http://www.soapmakingforum.com/f23/you-ready-sell-your-soap-16002/

I've enjoyed lurking for a few weeks and recently started to reply to a few of the topics here. Y'all sound like a fun bunch of folks, and I'm looking forward to participating in the forum.

Last edited:
hello

Hi. I'm Firekitty; very new to soap making. I made my first batch less than 2 weeks ago. An 8lb hp batch that came out surprisingly well. haha I'm here to connect with other soap makers to help me with my craft as well as hang with people of similar interest/hobby. My interest in soap making is to learn more about making my own natural hair and skin products for personal use as well as turning this into a business. Happy to be here and hope to learn alot. :mrgreen:

Welcome to the forum, Firekitty! That is a large batch to start out with :) I am glad it came out well!

Hi! My name is Barbara I am from Madison, AL I have been making CP soaps for 5 years as a hobby and have been making candles for 10 years.

Welcome Barbara! I am just starting making soaps and already thinking about experimenting with other things as well :)

Hi everyone my name is wingnut and iI am from East Tennessee just started making soap it is alot to learn but i have a great time doing it :)

Hi Cindy,

Welcome to the forum! When do find time to make things between work and a 2 year old? :grin:

These are a lot of questions to answer and since they're business related, I'd like to suggest you copy and paste the questions in the General Business forum. More people will see them there and the answers you receive might be helpful for other people who are interested in starting a business.

Briefly, I will say that if you want to start a business, you will need to register your business and pay taxes. I highly recommend insurance, too. Here's a link to a post about being ready to sell which will also give you some information. http://www.soapmakingforum.com/f23/you-ready-sell-your-soap-16002/
I just realized something....my name is supposed to be Emmy&Mommylovesoap. I don't know what happened to lovesoap part. Huh. Weird. Anyway, thank you for the welcome and advice. It is greatly appreciated. As for how I can make things between work and a 3 yr old...I work 12 hr shift-3 one week, 4 the next. I try to do things during the day while she is daycare. I am off every other weekend and I try some then. She likes to "help" so I mostly do it when she's at daycare or asleep lol.

As for how I can make things between work and a 3 yr old...I work 12 hr shift-3 one week, 4 the next. I try to do things during the day while she is daycare. I am off every other weekend and I try some then. She likes to "help" so I mostly do it when she's at daycare or asleep lol.

I'm glad you figured out away to work around her. :lol:

Am I doing this right?!

It's been almost FIVE years since I was back here!!! Just thought I would stick my head in and say hello. <3

My name is Frank. I am married to Rhonda. We have been married since 1978. We have 4 grown sons and 3 1/2 grandkids. We have always been into different crafts. Since the birth of our first granddaughter my wife started making Hairbows. She sells at about 6 large shows a year. I usually go with her and assist however I can.

We visited the Ozark Folk Center last summer and it we watched a Soap Making demonstration. The lady described the two different ways to make soap, hot and cold process. Sonce it was about 95 degrees outside. She told the group she didn't feel like standing over the outdoor kettle. So see demonstrated cold process.

Then about two months ago we were both at Micheals and I was looking at the soap supplies when my wife walked up the cart and said, "I always wanted to try making soap." I said, "Me too." She do some reasearch on it. So I have read About 5 books and. Made my first batch a couple of weeks ago.

image.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back