Weird yellow drops on soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sheeshka

Reaction score
Hi everybody, I’m new here.

I made batch of soap yesterday, scented it with Gracefruit FO, but only brown part of soap. After unmoulding it today I put it on paper towel for a while and when I came back to cut it, I noticed yellow spot on paper towel under soap, other than that it looked fine. Few hours after cutting I noticed these yellow drops on brown (scented) part of soap.

CF85E310-FE5F-4145-A3BB-04A3C56BD8E3.jpeg

1C7A0490-F2F8-4497-AB54-957A1FE69646.jpeg

88D5874F-B541-4D5B-BAEB-DD20B3810CB3.jpeg

I worked with oils and lye in room temperature, recipe I used was:

100g avocado oil
100g castor oil
400g olive oil
125g palm oil
180g coconut oil
95g shea butter

139g lye
278g destilled water

50ml Gracefruit ‘Chocolate truffle’ FO (should discolour to dark brown)

Eri Silk
Brown mica

After dabbing it of it appeared again.

Any idea what these might be?

Thank you for taking time to read this.

It may be the Fragrance Oil leaking out of the soap. When you say you used 50 Milliliters of FO, I assume that means you did a volume measurement rather the recommended Weight in Grams measurement. Your FO should be weighed just as your oils and water are weighed. What is the recommended usage rate for this particular FO? I see that IF you assumed 1ML=1gram, that you used 5% (per batch oils) as your usage rate. Is that correct?

If the FO is recommended at a lower rate, I would guess it's leakage out of the soap.

I have seen this happen with at least one FO I used in the past. I don't recall if I made a miscalculation or if it was because I mixed different FOs together & that's why it happened, but the resulting fragrance was super strong in the soap I made and I didn't even like it at all once it started permeating the room. But my dislike of it is beside the point. The weeping looked just like that.

It may be the Fragrance Oil leaking out of the soap. When you say you used 50 Milliliters of FO, I assume that means you did a volume measurement rather the recommended Weight in Grams measurement. Your FO should be weighed just as your oils and water are weighed. What is the recommended usage rate for this particular FO? I see that IF you assumed 1ML=1gram, that you used 5% (per batch oils) as your usage rate. Is that correct?

If the FO is recommended at a lower rate, I would guess it's leakage out of the soap.

I have seen this happen with at least one FO I used in the past. I don't recall if I made a miscalculation or if it was because I mixed different FOs together & that's why it happened, but the resulting fragrance was super strong in the soap I made and I didn't even like it at all once it started permeating the room. But my dislike of it is beside the point. The weeping looked just like that.
Acording to IFRA usage rate is unlimited. I chose to use max 25%, which would be 175g, but I didn’t have such a big amount of FO, I definitelly used less than 175g, I just don’t remember exact weight, thats why i listed 50ml.

That's way too much FO for soap, and probably why it is leaking out. Remember that the max usage rate relates to what is safe for skin exposure, NOT to what is ideal for the product you are making. You always want to measure by weight, and probably stick to 7% max for soap. Even that will be very, very strong for most FOs.

Acording to IFRA usage rate is unlimited. I chose to use max 25%, which would be 175g, but I didn’t have such a big amount of FO, I definitelly used less than 175g, I just don’t remember exact weight, thats why i listed 50ml.
Instead of using IFRA guidelines that can be misleading, I use MMS Fragrance Calc to determine EO/FO use. I plugged in Chocolate Mousse FO for Chocolate Truffle FO. Results:

Screen Shot 2022-05-14 at 3.02.41 PM.png

Gracefruit may have a similar calculator for their FOs.

Any idea what these might be?
I'm wondering how you processed the Eri Silk into the batch and how much you used? According to a quick google, the recommended use rate for soap is 5% tops.

In addition to too much FO, maybe the "yellow" is too much silk?

I've used Tussah Silk but never Eri. I add it to my hot lye water, let it soak for 5 minutes before stirring to thoroughly dissolve it in the lye before adding the lye to the warmed oils.

Last edited:
I'm wondering how you processed the Eri Silk into the batch and how much you used? According to a quick google, the recommended use rate for soap is 5% tops.

In addition to too much FO, maybe the "yellow" is too much silk?

I've used Tussah Silk but never Eri. I add it to my hot lye water, let it soak for 5 minutes before stirring to thoroughly dissolve it in the lye before adding the lye to the warmed oils.
I use 1% of Eri Silk, add it in hot lye water, stir until it dissolves, then add it into oils.

Back