Weird Translucentish Spots on Edge of Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Momskaputt

Reaction score
I've made this soap several times and never had these weird semi-translucent spots form like this. They are primarily around the outer edge of the soap and the lower part of the layers. This is my recipe:

14% Avocado Oil (119 g)
24% Coconut Oil (204g)
24% Olive Oil (204g)
10% Sweet Almond Oil (85 g)
3% Castor Oil (26 g)
1% Beeswax (9 g)
24% Lard (204 g)
270 g distilled H20
122 g NaOH
1 t honey
6 g Sodium Gluconate
1/2 t Sodium Lactate
<1 t titanium dioxide, <1 t yellow oxide, silk, 50 g BB Lemon Honey FO
I soaped at ~110 degrees F. It was very light trace when I poured. I CPOP'd it. It sat in the mold 3 days, and I just cut it. I zap tested it. It was good. I mean the flavor was bad, but it didn't zap. Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_20220414_125132669.jpg
    IMG_20220414_125132669.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 33
Agreed, those are glycerin rivers, and they are pretty!

It also looks like you might have used a discoloring fragrance oil. The ones that contain vanillin are famous for creating that "rind" along the outer edges, which gradually spreads to the entire soap. The degree of discoloration will depend on how much vanillin is in the FO, as well as how light or dark the soap batter was to start with.

Thanks for the info. I didn't think of it being glycerin rivers. I guess it didn't seem dramatic enough. The FO does discolor. I've noticed it always gets darker as it cures. I looked, and it is 3.8% vanilla. Oh well, it's interesting. It kind of looks like swirls in the droppy layers.

Latest posts

Back