Weird slimy soap jelly

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

szaza

Reaction score
So I normally do my dishes right after HP soaping, but this time I was lazy and just filled all the jugs and cups with hot water to dissolve the soap and wash it off easily the next day. To my surprise, some of it sort of resolidified to form this really weird jelly like substance. I just thought I'd share because it's really funny (and kind of disgusting) looking.

Soap slime! Yummmmmmmm!!!!! ;)

Was the recipe fairly high in oleic acid?

That is EXACTLY what my squeeze bottles do, i always end up with lots of soap batter left in them so I fill them with water and usually forget about them for a week or two. I always end up with a bottle of slime. I thought it was bizarre too

@DeeAnna 42% oleic acid, I thought that was a rather standard amount?..

@Obsidian khiii yuk that's a whole lot of soap jelly:eek: thanks you and @Primrose for letting me know I'm not the only one to experience this weird thing.

@Dawni haha couldn't help myself and started giggling :p It's so weird!!

@dibbles it does look like it's alive doesn't it. It moves!! (That's just because of my sink, but it took me by surprise)

Yes, I agree -- 42% oleic is not overly high, but it's apparently just enough!

One of the reasons I love HP so much is that I can clean up within minutes of finishing a batch and NOT have to deal with it the next day. I may have to leave it next time I'm soaping just to see if that happens. My grandson would think it's awesome! But it makes me wonder what it is doing to my pipes and my septic tank? LOL Thank goodness my OCD hubby won't see this post!

Well, my grandson thought it was soooo cool! I now have orders to try it next time I soap. LOL But it's nice to know that it dissolves as soon as it touches water. I'd hate to think of a gelatinous glob sitting somewhere in my pipes or septic.

That is EXACTLY what my squeeze bottles do, i always end up with lots of soap batter left in them so I fill them with water and usually forget about them for a week or two. I always end up with a bottle of slime. I thought it was bizarre too

I found a spatula that fits in my squeeze bottles, and I now have a growing assortment of tiny soaps.

Latest posts

Back