Weird question from a plastic cup

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoapMakerDeluxe

Reaction score
I recently did a multi-colored soap which is looking great.

But there was one problem.

During the soapmaking process, I kept the fragrance oil in a red plastic cup so it was pre-measured. The fragrance oil turned red. Not sure if it had been red the whole time (someone else poured it), I used it in the soap.

Then later, I saw that the oil had EATEN THROUGH the bottom of the red plastic cup. So that's where the red came from.

Question: is this soap going to be safe to use since it has that red color from the plastic cup added in? The soap looks fine, but I don't want to use anything that might be potentially hazardous.

Last edited:
I use similar ones from Meijer that are about $2 each. I keep one in my kitchen to mix up margaritas. Hahaha.

The only plastic thing I use with FO's or EO's are disposable pipettes. And those never sit in the liquid.

You shouldn't use plastic cups because of the type of plastic they're made of, like polystyrene, but glass isn't remotely necessary for FO.

If you count soap and candle suppliers, most sell FO in plastic containers and all of them buy it in plastic. While it might be helpful for shelf life if you keep FO for an inordinately long time, over the years I've noticed that getting FO in glass has been more of a marketing thing based on the image the supplier is projecting. It correlates best with who is charging the most. I think Sweet Cakes was the first supplier I ever got glass bottles from. Even high-end suppliers like the late great Scentworks shipped in plastic.

HDPE and polypropylene are a-okay. Disposable pipettes are polypropylene and can soak in FO all day long, as can the polypropylene seals in the caps of your glass bottles. You can measure it in (for instance) small Gladware food containers with no problem at all.

You shouldn't use plastic cups because of the type of plastic they're made of, like polystyrene, but glass isn't remotely necessary for FO.

If you count soap and candle suppliers, most sell FO in plastic containers and all of them buy it in plastic. While it might be helpful for shelf life if you keep FO for an inordinately long time, over the years I've noticed that getting FO in glass has been more of a marketing thing based on the image the supplier is projecting. It correlates best with who is charging the most. I think Sweet Cakes was the first supplier I ever got glass bottles from. Even high-end suppliers like the late great Scentworks shipped in plastic.

HDPE and polypropylene are a-okay. Disposable pipettes are polypropylene and can soak in FO all day long, as can the polypropylene seals in the caps of your glass bottles. You can measure it in (for instance) small Gladware food containers with no problem at all.

Even type 2 and 5 plastics succumb to permanent scenting. As you said they are perfectly safe but I like NOT smelling anything aside from what I'm using. I still think they're better suited for mixing lye and unscented soaping.

Back