Weird parchment paper conundrum

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CraftyRedhead

Reaction score
I have a batch of soap that was made in shoebox lined with parchment paper. Somehow the soap made the parchment wrinkle underneath it and caused these lines on the bottom. This is a custom batch for a customer who wants these bars immediately (she knows that they are NOT ready for use for another at least 3 weeks) so I can't remake them. It's there any way to fix them? I don't have a planer or anything.. although after this I might be investing in one!

1407613095065.jpg

1407613113643.jpg

1407613140232.jpg

If it were soap for me I wouldn't care, but I'm so paranoid about making all my products as close to perfect as I can get.. I'm a tad ocd, lol

I live in the boonies and couldn't find anywhere local to buy freezer paper, but after this I bought some on Amazon. I won't be using parchment anymore!
I ended up with 18 bars and she only wants 15 - so I can try 3 possible ways on my spare pieces. If they look terrible I'll use them myself, they smell wonderful! :)
I don't have a veggie peeler, my hubby wants to try cutting the bottoms off.. which I really don't think will go well, lol.
I have nylons, I can try that..

1,000 grit Sandpaper glue sticked to a piece of tile is what comes to my mind. Although I think at that point purchasing a planer might be cost effective.

As far as DIY with the stuff on hand.... water and a smooth surface? Unsure how that would work though.

I would use a HOT knife. Just as hot as you can get it by holding it in boiling water. Then melt/trim the bottoms. Use a big chef knife or a cleaver. Something wide and large to prevent gouging.(I live in the boonies also, so I know about making do with what I have.)

Last edited:
What Susie said ... or a hot old-fashioned iron, the kind without steam holes in the sole.

Sand paper will just load up instantly.

I would not wash the soap with water ... not sure it will work very well to make a smooth surface. I have also read updates from the Lather Lover's Swap that "used" soap may have a higher chance of DOS.

If you have access to a woodworker's plane, that can be used exactly like a soap plane. Just wash and dry the plane parts thoroughly after use -- soap and water will rust iron badly.

Last edited:
I've used a straight edged knife like a ham knife, hold a one end of the side you want smooth and just pull towards your self. Don't press too hard and you might have to make a few passes for it to work, you don't need to heat the knife, just scrapping it will work.

Update!
First off thank you everyone for your ideas! I tried a cold (and ridiculously sharp) knife and couldn't get an even cut. So I heated the blade and tried again, it was a bit smoother, but I still couldn't get it to look even. I pulled out my potato peeler, ended up with gouge marks. I took the piece that I'd been mangling and ran it under a bit of water and tried to wash it down.. but it's still a fairly soft bar, so it just got terribly slimy. I couldn't find a way to smooth it out after that. I don't have any poufs here, but I do have nylons, so that was my next step. It took forever, but it did file down the ridges a bit. So I dug out the finest grit sandpaper we have, I believe it's 400 grit. Worked like a charm. Yes it filled up pretty quickly, I went though 6 full sheets, but it's done and they're pretty!!

On a side note, I'm buying a planer.. :)

Even in the boonies, SOMEone probably butchers meat, and will use "waxed" (actually plastic-coated now, as is freezer paper) paper for wrapping meat. Might be brownish red instead of beige but that won't matter. Granted, they may have to have it shipped in, but you might be able to piggy-back an order or borrow/buy some. :)

What do y'all think of this all-in-one thing on Amazon?
Twinklefilter Adjustable Wood Soap Mold Loaf Cutter and Beveler / Planer Set
For $41.99 and being made of oak - it seems like a nice setup if a person needed both. I was thinking about making one but for that money it would be hard to match.

I don't have one of those but I have seen a few reviews and people either love it or hate it. I know they are made in China and my guess that may be what is causing the inconsistent reviews. I suggest spending a bit more and ordering from a us maker on etsy or building your own.

I would use the flat blade cutter that I use in my mitre box and just slice a very thin slice off. I've done it before to even things out. Worked pretty well.

Latest posts

Back