Weird feeling on a skin - HELP!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

volya

Reaction score
I just tried my recent batch of CP soap and puzzled with the feeling it gives me right after I wash the soap off. It's weird and feels like squeaky clean, kinda sticky on skin to skin contact, rubbery and something close to compare like the fingers on a balloon feeling... rrrr.:???: I never had it before. If there something wrong with my soap? Is it normal? Now I doubt if I want to sell it. Since I am relatively new to soapmaking and never rebatched a soap, I am wondering if there any way to rebatch it and improve the recipe to avoid this feeling in the shower?
Here is the recipe if that helps:
Palm Kernel - 25 %
Palm - 30 %
Coconut - 7 %
Shea - 15 %
Soybean oil -8 %
Macadamia oil - 15 %
Lye - 13.84 oz
Water - 33 oz
8% SF.

I get that feeling with almost every soap Ive made. I still don't know what causes it exactly. Just wanted to say that you described the feeling pretty much perfectly & I know exactly what you're talking about. I have a feeling it may have to do with the amount of coconut oil I use. My cleansing factor on the soap calc is usually a few % above the highest they list and I wonder if that has something to do with it.

What was your total oz for just the oils? I'm wondering if you just have a very cleansing bar?

This one is on the high end of the cleansing scale. I find that if I go much above 15 on the scale my skin dries out and feels like you have described. But if I stick to 12-15 my skin does not feel as if it has been stripped of all oil. I don't like my fingers to stick to my skin and not glide over it. Personally I would drop the % of palm kernel to 15% and make up difference with the soybean for this recipe. Your cleansing would go down to 15 and the conditioning up to 55. You would lose some in hardness, but it would still be a hard bar after curing. Just M2C for what I would do

Kansas Farm Girl, maybe you are right.
So, question to experienced profi - is there any way I can fix this same batch and make it less cleansing without that weird feeling? I thought of grating it (but it's a big batch), lay it in even bigger mold and pour the new soap over the grated one with very low in cleansing and high in conditioning properties soap? What do you think? Can it fix the problem? Because I can't figure out how to balance the oils by rebatching.

How old is the soap?
That recipe would be way too drying for me with such high cleansing & low conditioning properties.

If your soap's not too old, you could chop it up and rebatch it, but add some more shea butter.

Genny,
the soap is 5 weeks old. Do you think it can be rebatched? How much shea (per 100 oz of oils) do you think can help with the problem?
Thank you!

Back