Weighty issues

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I went to our new Buff City Soaps with my husband yesterday. Their soaps are nice; some very vibrant colors; disinterested staff however.
My question is regarding the way they label their soaps. They state weight by volume: i.e. “5oz. by volume”. I thought we were required to state weight in oz./grams. I went home and looked this up online and voila! We are, indeed, supposed to list weight by weight-not volume. How can a national chain get by with this?

I went to our new Buff City Soaps with my husband yesterday. Their soaps are nice; some very vibrant colors; disinterested staff however.

My question is regarding the way they label their soaps. They state weight by volume: i.e. “5oz. by volume”. I thought we were required to state weight in oz./grams. I went home and looked this up online and voila! We are, indeed, supposed to list weight by weight-not volume. How can a national chain get by with this?

Because the FPLA (Fair Packaging and Labeling Act) no longer regulates soap, the CPSA (Consumer Product Safety Commission) does and they reference the FDA who sends you to the CPSA because they do not regulate "true soap". It says right there on their Website:

"The CPSC regulates only true soaps (not cosmetics or drugs) that are made primarily of fats and alkalis and that are manufactured for consumer use. To that end, except for products primarily intended for use by children age 12 or younger, CPSC does not have specific requirements for soaps."

Don't bother reporting the company to the FDA unless the company is making cosmetic or drug claims about their soap.

Because the FPLA (Fair Packaging and Labeling Act) no longer regulates soap, the CPSA (Consumer Product Safety Commission) does and they reference the FDA who sends you to the CPSA because they do not regulate "true soap". It says right there on their Website:

"The CPSC regulates only true soaps (not cosmetics or drugs) that are made primarily of fats and alkalis and that are manufactured for consumer use. To that end, except for products primarily intended for use by children age 12 or younger, CPSC does not have specific requirements for soaps."

Don't bother reporting the company to the FDA unless the company is making cosmetic or drug claims about their soap.
I would never had “reported” them to anyone but, if warranted, I would have said something to the manager. I do not generally believe in “turning people in” for anything unless it involves harming someone (or some animal) intentionally.

I would never had “reported” them to anyone but, if warranted, I would have said something to the manager. I do not generally believe in “turning people in” for anything unless it involves harming someone (or some animal) intentionally.

It would hurt people in the wallet potentially. If you see two products with what appears to be a comparable weight but they're using two different methods and you don't pick up on it, you could end up making a false comparison and buying what you thought was the better value option when it actually isn't

Because no one is checking on them or bothering them about it. There is supposedly a spot where on the FDC website where you can submit complaints about stuff like this. Before doing that, I believe it is best to contact the company and point the discrepancy, giving them a chance to fix it.
As I said, I have no intention of “reporting” or “turning in” anyone. I was asking for clarification. If I was planning to do anything like reporting them, I would have approached the store manager and let it go at that. I was curious about the labeling as I have never seen soap weight listed by volume instead of weight.

You pretty much just “reported” them to us (and there’s a lot of us). Just saying’😉
As I said, and will repeat, I was/am not interested in turning in anyone for anything and posting an inquiry here is, in my estimation, the best way to get a definitive answer to any soap-related question. Again (as I guess I will have to repeat ad nauseam) I have no intention of reporting anything to anyone.
If we cannot bring our questions to this forum, what is the sense of it?

I apologize; I wasn’t meaning to imply that you personally would report anyone without talking to them first. I always try to keep in mind that our posts are read by many, and often long after we write them.

With that long range view in mind, I didn’t want to seem like I was encouraging you - or anyone else who reads this years from now- to make reports without first speaking directly to those who made the error. Sounds like we agree on that issue. 😊

As I said, I have no intention of “reporting” or “turning in” anyone. I was asking for clarification. If I was planning to do anything like reporting them, I would have approached the store manager and let it go at that. I was curious about the labeling as I have never seen soap weight listed by volume instead of weight.

As I said, and will repeat, I was/am not interested in turning in anyone for anything and posting an inquiry here is, in my estimation, the best way to get a definitive answer to any soap-related question. Again (as I guess I will have to repeat ad nauseam) I have no intention of reporting anything to anyone.
If we cannot bring our questions to this forum, what is the sense of it?
Certainly did not mean to make you nauseous, not that serious IMO, however, I guess I will also have to repeat myself. By writing your post on a worldwide forum, you pretty much did just report them. You looked up your answer and knew their weight measurements were not correct. For all we know, one of our members could very well be with the FDA/CPSA/CPSC.

First, Buff City Soaps is a franchise chain, so complaining to the store manager won't get anything changed. They pay a lot for the franchise rights, but they cannot change anything about the soap or the labels. If you were to want to contact someone in charge, you'd have to go to the top. They don't impress me as folks who would respond kindly to constructive criticism, but of course I could be wrong.

Certainly did not mean to make you nauseous, not that serious IMO, however, I guess I will also have to repeat myself. By writing your post on a worldwide forum, you pretty much did just report them. You looked up your answer and knew their weight measurements were not correct. For all we know, one of our members could very well be with the FDA/CPSA/CPSC.
Nauseous? Sounds like I see the wrong word inadvertently as nothing but liver and narcotic drugs make me nauseous. I look to this group as a resource for all soap-related questions. As I was corrected by someone in the group, I got the answer I needed and, if there is someone who is “with” the FDA/CPSA/CPSC who is a member - they already knew the correct answer so it is what it is.

It would hurt people in the wallet potentially. If you see two products with what appears to be a comparable weight but they're using two different methods and you don't pick up on it, you could end up making a false comparison and buying what you thought was the better value option when it actually isn't
Good point! :thumbs: This is something we should all be aware of. Thanks for bringing it up @melinda48! 🥰

When I first bought Flaxseed Oil at a local health food store, I needed 8 oz. to make my favorite Flaxseed Shampoo. When I weighed it out, it registered only 7.5 oz.! I checked the label on the bottle, and, sure enough, it said 8 oz. by Volume.

Good point! :thumbs: This is something we should all be aware of. Thanks for bringing it up @melinda48! 🥰

When I first bought Flaxseed Oil at a local health food store, I needed 8 oz. to make my favorite Flaxseed Shampoo. When I weighed it out, it registered only 7.5 oz.! I checked the label on the bottle, and, sure enough, it said 8 oz. by Volume.
I agree. I have noticed the same thing with several product types. It makes it somehow more difficult to make sure we are getting what we think we are getting sometimes. Stay diligent my friend.

Buff City soaps has alot of problems, including the soap disappearing in a weak or two of use because they don't let it cure long enough. I've had guys complain to me about it. I'm just surprised there hasn't been a law suit involved yet.

I'm just saying... If I have to fight with getting the labeled weight in my bottles of lotion, these other folks better be fighting with their stuff too! 😂
I agree lol. They just have the money to make blow off the gvt officials while we don't. Big companies can get away with that kind of thing.

Latest posts

Back