Weight of oil not same as container is labeled

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, I explain it to my customers all the time. Honey is sold by weight, not volume, so you may think it's a quart jar, but I'm thinking it's 3# of honey. It's one of those things people either GET, or they don't. Mostly, they don't.

Even some of the packaging supply companies don't get this. Most beekeeper catalogs will tell you the weight of the honey a container will hold. But standard packaging producers tell you the volume. And it can be sticky (no pun intended) when the numbers don't match.

It's okay if you have more than your label says. But woe betide you if it's less. That constitutes fraud, and is a big mess. Since honey weighs (has a specific gravity that is) more than water, it works out in my favor, but inspectors don't like it. I'm not sure all the inspectors understand it, either.

~HL~

Because the volume of a 16 fl oz container is the same no matter what the contents, but the weight will vary with the specific gravity of the ingredient. Its just easier - thats why most food recipes are in volumes.

Ahhhh oh ok. Makes sense.
Unless there was a typo and it was .946 L

Which of course is the same as 946 ml. God a love metric measures.

Interesting. I'll double check.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back