Weight Loss Thread

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After two pregnancies back to back (our girls are 12 months apart) I had about an extra 30 Lb to lose. I had never lost weight before, and I didn't know how. I saw this book on a tv show

http://www.walmart.com/ip/15857590?adid ... la&veh=sem

It kinda sounded like a joke, but I thought what the heck! If Dr. Phil says so. lol
Anyhow I lost around 45Lb! It took about 9 months in total. The exercise suggested in the book isn't bad, The food isn't either. I would call it a modified low carb diet. Not a no carb diet! That would kill me.
Here's a review of the book from web md

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/17-day-diet-review

now if I could just get the tone back, in my ab's :lolno: ah who am I kidding.

I just happened on this thread and thought I would share......

I do have plenty of health issues, mainly the day to day now is dealing with back pain and skeletal pain. I have stenosis, scoliosis, blown out discs and on and on. I have had surgery on one of my hip as well to repair torn labrum. I cannot get much done or have much quality of life if I don't take strong pain meds daily. Because of these sort of things I NEED to keep my weight as low as possible to put less strain on my low back. Not always easy when I love to bake and everyone else loves me too also :D Recently my doctor was listening very attentively to me describe symptoms(I don't even know why I was in the office that day). He is a new-ish doctor for me. He listed a BUNCH of things, my gall bladder that quit working and had to be removed, unexplained or exacerbated joint pain, fatigue, IBS symptoms, depression and nodules/ partial removal of my thyroid..........all of these he said MAY possibly be related to my have an allergy/intolerance to wheat/gluten. He suggested that I research 'Leaky Gut Syndrome' and read the book 'The Wheat Belly' His thinking was that maybe I have Celiac Disease. There are not easy tests for it. When I left I decided to give eating GLUTEN-FREE it a try. Anything that I can do to reduce my level of pain, I will do it. There were many days that I would be maxed out on my meds and it was not time for my next dose and I would be having break through pain that would just put me in the bed.

Its been about 3 months now since I have been doing the gluten free diet. Good thing that I am a good cook so I can adjust my recipes. I have lost weight even though I am eating close to the same calories as before. My hands/fingers hardly hurt anymore. We had no explaination why they hurt before. IBS symptoms are 100% better! Unless I cheat and eat something with gluten, then the reaction can be quick and very unpleasant. (I did eat chocolate cake once, it was not worth it) Overall my pain level has gone down and I can get alot more done around here. The overall improvement and increased productivity has reduced my depression as well. My sense of well being is directly connected to my productivity. I am guessing that all these improvements are due to a reduction in the overall inflamation in my body. And the weight loss??? I guess maybe because I'm eating more veggies. So far I have lost 15lbs since the beginning of August. Sigh! Lighter is better :D

BTW, I am a very skeptical "show me, then I will believe" type of person.

A few of those pounds were lost before I started the gluten-free. After vacation this summer........well it was good food on vaca, soooo.....I put on a few lbs :oops: :oops: Thats why I said 15lbs since August. When we got home from vaca I felt like I was still full for a week. Hahaha!

That's fantastic that eliminating gluten has helped you so much. I don't think I'm allergic to gluten but I wonder if it still would be helpful to eliminate some from my diet.

Hazel said:
That's fantastic that eliminating gluten has helped you so much. I don't think I'm allergic to gluten but I wonder if it still would be helpful to eliminate some from my diet.

It very well could. I have friends that lost weight after putting the whole family on the gluten free lifestyle. And I read about it being the new weight loss diet fad. I looked at it but couldn't do it :(

Hazel said:

cutting back the gluten is good for everyone :) we take in way to much here in the states :shock:

I made homemade gluten free brownies tonight. I replaced the 1 cup of regular flour with 1/3 cup each of whole grain oat flour, potato starch and white rice flour. They came out pretty good. I think next time I might add 1/2 tsp xanthan gum. Gluten free baked goods sometimes are a little bit crumbly because wheat flour has lots of starch, hence the potato starch and the xanthan gum.

The main problem I see with eating gluten free is not falling into eating a bunch of 'WHITE' foods. We are really making sure that we are eating plenty of whole grains. Whole grain Oats, brown rice, milled flax seed etc. Thank goodness I like that stuff!!! When I get a fantastic hit of a recipe I will try to post in the recipe forum.

AngelMomma said:
I made homemade gluten free brownies tonight. I replaced the 1 cup of regular flour with 1/3 cup each of whole grain oat flour, potato starch and white rice flour. They came out pretty good. I think next time I might add 1/2 tsp xanthan gum. Gluten free baked goods sometimes are a little bit crumbly because wheat flour has lots of starch, hence the potato starch and the xanthan gum.

The main problem I see with eating gluten free is not falling into eating a bunch of 'WHITE' foods. We are really making sure that we are eating plenty of whole grains. Whole grain Oats, brown rice, milled flax seed etc. Thank goodness I like that stuff!!! When I get a fantastic hit of a recipe I will try to post in the recipe forum.
AngelMomma how fantastic that these changes have helped improve your pain, not with intention but through intolerance (blood sugar wise) I have cut all refined carbs from my diet eating just a small amount of wholegrain, oats and basmati/brown rice and I feel wonderful for it. That alongside Greentea which I think is amazing and the weigh is just dropping off me and I am three years shy of being 50 so really wrapped with the results

Lynnz said:
Great you've got 12 kgs off Lyn. :)
Thats about how much I have to get off, I'm doing the exercise etc but not with the intensity ATM. I'm trying to get my cholesterol under control. I had it checked a week ago and its 5.8, the doctor is happy with that, but I've had side effects with the drugs that is making me lethargic,muscle weekness,aches in the legs etc so still trying to find a happy medium, until thats fixed up I'm still plodding along. My sugar is fine :) .

Are you on cholesterol lowering drugs Relle? Mine was up and I am trying by diet alone to get it down and using the products like flora spread with the plant steriods hope the doc will do more bloods soon and I can tell you how much of an effect it has had. Now that I have finally got my chuff moving I have to say I am really enjoying the exercise and tend to get a little cranky if I dont get my daily dose in :D[/quote]

Lyn I'm on cholesterol lowering drugs and alternating the dose to try and get it right. I got mine down to 5.0 with diet but couldn't sustain it, I was eating like a bird. Glad your down another 1.7kgs, keep it up.

Thanks Relle 14.1 gone forever :D :D throwing out my clothes as they get to big as I cannot afford to put this weight backon. I saw a note someone posted somewhere and it said the problem with Diabetes is you cannot have a day off LOL very true I think

Re: Re:

Pepsi Girl said:
dubnica said:
Sucks being over 50.

I totally agree getting old is not for the faint of heart!! I lost 50 lbs, 13 years ago, kept it off, then about 2 years ago it started creeping back. I'm up 20 lbs and it just seems to be happily hanging around, I've tried but it just will not go away. :(
I am on the upward climb to 50 :0) two and a half years to go!!!!! I hope to be a skinny binny by the time I am hitting the big 50

Re: Re:

Lynnz said:
Pepsi Girl said:
dubnica said:
Sucks being over 50.

I totally agree getting old is not for the faint of heart!! I lost 50 lbs, 13 years ago, kept it off, then about 2 years ago it started creeping back. I'm up 20 lbs and it just seems to be happily hanging around, I've tried but it just will not go away. :(
I am on the upward climb to 50 :0) two and a half years to go!!!!! I hope to be a skinny binny by the time I am hitting the big 50

I hope you make it. After 50 it's a lot harder good your thinking ahead!

You can do like I do but it's not adviseable. Buy soap stuff at the store instead of food! The good thing though is that I bought nice virgin olive oil and take a tablespoon every day which is healthy. I've cooked with some of my coconut oil, too. From some stuff I've read these oils can actually help you lose tummy fat and distribute weight better. It won't replace exercise, though and I decided I need to go to a class or a gym or I won't get any at all.

I haven't had time to read all of this thread but I'm currently on Ideal Protein and LOVE it. Seriously you drop weight fast and safely and don't feel hungry. I used to pay for it weekly, but I switched to the protein powder at Costco and it's much cheaper now. I also joined Dietbet.com. It's so much fun! You bet against your friends to lose 4% in 4 weeks and then the winner takes the pot. I love losing weight and winning money at the same time! :)

Latest posts

Back