Weight labeling

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Who does that??

i get the conversation and the business aspect of it all, but who frieakin goes to a farmers market and goes home and weighs their handcrafted soap purchase?? LOL

Karen's usually do that to find someone or something to complain about. I'm surprised she didn't ask to speak to your manager.

But in all seriousness you can do average weight of a random sampling per code. You take 10 to 20 bars, weigh them and use the average but it must be indicated on your label it's an average weight since it's a hand cut product and not mass manufactured. If it's cp then wait a 2 weeks, take your random sample, do some math and use that for your label weight. Just make sure to change your weight wording to average net before water loss. It's like how McDonald's says the weight of a beefb patty is 4oz PRIOR to cooking. It's perfectly legal you just have to indicate how the weight is determined.

Karen's usually do that to find someone or something to complain about. I'm surprised she didn't ask to speak to your manager.

But in all seriousness you can do average weight of a random sampling per code. You take 10 to 20 bars, weigh them and use the average but it must be indicated on your label it's an average weight since it's a hand cut product and not mass manufactured. If it's cp then wait a 2 weeks, take your random sample, do some math and use that for your label weight. Just make sure to change your weight wording to average net before water loss. It's like how McDonald's says the weight of a beefb patty is 4oz PRIOR to cooking. It's perfectly legal you just have to indicate how the weight is determined.

No you can not. Check labeling rules for soap and cosmetics. It better weigh what you are selling it as. Marie Gale has excellent information for proper labeling.

Interesting. I always thought it was a federal regulation to list the weight - who knew!

Actually the weight is a federal requirement in the US. Per Marie Gale --

"...A true soap is exempt from FDA cosmetic regulations, and is the labeling requirements are governed by the Fair Packaging and Labeling act. The name of the product, net weight and name and address of the manufacturer, distributor or packager are required on the label; the ingredient declaration is not required....."

More: Ingredient Labels for Soap - Marie Gale (bolding is my addition)

edit

"'....The net weight stated on the label may NOT be more than the actual weight of the product when the consumer is deciding whether to purchase...."

More: Calculating the Net Weight of Soap (Part 1) - Marie Gale and Calculating the Net Weight of Soap (Part 2) - Marie Gale

Last edited:
Besides the fact that you need to make sure the weight is at least what is in the bar, making sure you have a lower weight than actual is a simple way to make sure the customer feels that you want to be fair with them and that customer service is a priority to you.

Back