weight issues

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amme20

Reaction score
when a recipie says something in ounces and you need it converting into grams, will i get the same results if i was to use an online converter to convert the ounces to grams as to measuring out each ingredient in ounces on the scales then clicking the dial on the scales to grams? or does the weight differ to what you are using such as kernal oil or shea butter??
Hope you understand what i'm going on about LOL

If I am understanding your question, yes. Assuming your scale is calibrated correctly, the numbers should be the same.

HOWEVER, some Internet recipes are using volume ounces and not weight ounces. So there may be some discrepancy there. Oil is close enough in weight to water than a recipe using volume should still be fine - again, run it through the soap calculator. By "fine", i mean the proportions won't be dramatically off. But ALWAYS USE A CALCULATOR.

Ok thank you, I've seen a soap recipie in a book that i want to make and the measurements are ounces or percentage. I don't want to use ounces so was wondering whether i could go onto the internet and convert ounces to grams using one of those converter apps without actually measuring the quantities out first, but not sure whether i will get the correct weights. The calculator baffles me

Ok thank you, I've seen a soap recipie in a book that i want to make and the measurements are ounces or percentage. I don't want to use ounces so was wondering whether i could go onto the internet and convert ounces to grams using one of those converter apps without actually measuring the quantities out first, but not sure whether i will get the correct weights. The calculator baffles me

You really need to learn how to use a soap calculator. Recipes have errors you can avoid them by using one. You need to check the lye/water measurements for your particular recipe.

If you are making soap, it is so very important to know how to use a soap calculator. Here is a link to a tutorial in the beginner's section: https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/how-to-use-soap-calc-tutorial.49627/
Knowing how to calculate a recipe - even to check one you found in a book or online - even if it is from a well known soap maker who knows what they are doing - is important as there could be typos or errors in any written recipe.

Recipes are often given in percentages so that you can calculate the proper amount of soap batter to make to fill your mold.

Use a calculator, and percentages. If your recipe is shown in ounces, check the total weight of oils, and then check individual weights to determine the percentage of each oil. Put those numbers into a soap calculator, and you will be fine.

I've calculated recipes using SAP values, but even then I have run them through a calculator- just to be safe

thank you everyone, and thank you for the video it's made it much simpler now, thank you so much :)

I am also a metric person (well I think most of the world is) and have had endless battles and hair pulling moments through the ounce to gramme issue - then i found soapcalc.net and you can do everything in metric. YAAYYYYYY.
Because of the viscocity (thickness) of oils it is always measured in weight - so if you buy 2 litres of Sunflower oil you can convert it to 2 Kgs - so far I ahve not had any issues with that.
I even weigh the water - i find that if i just weigh everything it all works out fine. But the measuring of ml and then weighing confuses my brain cell. And my brain cell gets confused easily when its faced with digits.

@amme20 It is helpful to remember that 3.5 ounces is roughly equivalent to 100 grams - knowing this can make it easier to see if there are any glaring errors in your conversions. I still use an online conversion calculator to flip between ounces and grams (I work in grams for measuring).

Getting used to using percentages for your recipes (as everyone has mentioned) will make your life so much easier!

Good luck! :)

I am also a metric person (well I think most of the world is) and have had endless battles and hair pulling moments through the ounce to gramme issue - then i found soapcalc.net and you can do everything in metric. YAAYYYYYY.
Because of the viscocity (thickness) of oils it is always measured in weight - so if you buy 2 litres of Sunflower oil you can convert it to 2 Kgs - so far I ahve not had any issues with that.
I even weigh the water - i find that if i just weigh everything it all works out fine. But the measuring of ml and then weighing confuses my brain cell. And my brain cell gets confused easily when its faced with digits.

@Donee' - the oil (and other ingredients) are measured in weight, not because of the viscosity, but to take the relative density of each of the ingredients into account.

In detail:
Most oils and fats have a specific gravity (density relative to water) of around 0.9.
What this tells you is that the weight of the oil in any given volume is going to be roughly 0.9 times the weight of the same volume of water (this is why oil floats on water - oil is lighter than water).

The specific gravity of sunflower oil is between approximately 0.91 and 0.93 g/ml at about 20C.
I did a rough calculation, using 0.92 as the specific gravity for your sunflower oil example.

2,000 ml (Sunflower oil) * 0.92 g/ml (approx. Specific Gravity for sunflower oil) = 1,840 grams (anticipated weight of your 2L of sunflower oil)
(Always use actual weight measurements for oils, not calculated (anticipated) weights, however for the sake of this example, lets imagine that the SP was correct and when you weighed it, the 2L of sunflower oil did indeed weight 1,840grams.)

1,840grams of sunflower oil requires 247.96g of NaOH (according to soapcalc) to convert it to soap (at 0% superfat).
2,000gram of sunflower oil requires 269.52g of NaOH to convert it to soap (using 0% superfat).

To get the 1,840gram batch to use the same amount of NaOH as the theoretical 2,000 gram batch, I had to adjust the superfat to -8.7%.
A negative superfat is effectively extra NaOH, so that is 8.7% more NaOH than you need.

In other words, your soap is going to be lye heavy, unless your superfat is above this amount, and/or your sodium hydroxide is a bit clumpy (so isn't as strong as it could be).

In summary:
so if you buy 2 litres of Sunflower oil you can convert it to 2 Kgs
This is not safe to do (the soap could end up being lye heavy).

Reason:
If the specific gravity is ignored and the weight of the oil is assumed to be the same as water, then you are going to calculate the amount of NaOH using an artificially high oil weight, which will result in weighing out more sodium hydroxide than you need for the actual weight of oil you have.

The 2 litres of sunflower oil is going to weigh more like 1,840grams*.
*If you measure oil using volume, you end up being about 8% short of your required oil weight.

Always weigh your ingredients, especially the fats and oils.

... i find that if i just weigh everything it all works out fine.
@Donee' - this is good :)

Last edited:
Sorry but my one brain cell glazed over after the 2nd line. I am sure that more highly intelligent people here will appreciate what you wrote but for me I prefer to think of soap as a simple chemistry and not over think it.
Plus I am not an academic - I am just a person who mixes oils with lye and adds loads of stuff. I manage to sell a whole bunch though so cant be entirely wrong.
(Dont want to give people the incorrect impression that I am above my station when all i do is go to Mr Google)

Sorry but my one brain cell glazed over after the 2nd line. I am sure that more highly intelligent people here will appreciate what you wrote but for me I prefer to think of soap as a simple chemistry and not over think it.
Plus I am not an academic - I am just a person who mixes oils with lye and adds loads of stuff. I manage to sell a whole bunch though so cant be entirely wrong.
(Dont want to give people the incorrect impression that I am above my station when all i do is go to Mr Google)

How are you selling a whole bunch when you just started making soap. Just curious.

How are you selling a whole bunch when you just started making soap. Just curious.
well i started off with melt and pour - then i started adding stuff to melt and pour and then i started with just plain old coconut oil and clay CP and then i started making soap. Been selling loads to corporates and going into retail now.
Anything else?

@Donee' - I refuse to accept you are an Amoeba club member ;)

You recommended a measuring method that introduces a negative superfat of around -8-10%, which prompted my detailed explanation of the rule:

"Measure oils by weight, not volume"

Just memorizing the rule also works :)

@Donee' - I refuse to accept you are an Amoeba club member ;)

You recommended a measuring method that introduces a negative superfat of around -8-10%, which prompted my detailed explanation of the rule:

"Measure oils by weight, not volume"

Just memorizing the rule also works :)
oh no - going to have to go to google that one - never heard of a negative superfat - thank you.
Amoeba?? Well at least I am somewhere in the evolutionary chain.

NEW QUESTION: I meant to buy 1 gal of canola oil, but accidentally got 2 gallons instead. I make small batches of cp. (approx 12 -16 oz oil)
I used part canola, but not having very good results. One problem is my soap looks like I painted the top with white paint. Not soda ash looking.
How do you use canola?

NEW QUESTION: I meant to buy 1 gal of canola oil, but accidentally got 2 gallons instead. I make small batches of cp. (approx 12 -16 oz oil)
I used part canola, but not having very good results. One problem is my soap looks like I painted the top with white paint. Not soda ash looking.
How do you use canola?
My soleseife bars look like the tops are painted with diluted white paint. Are you sure yours isn't ash?

Also, Canola actually a great inexpensive oil. You use it like any other oil. There's tons of info online and on this forum regarding oils to use for soap with "benefits" and recommended amounts. Just remember to run your recipes through a calculator.

My soleseife bars look like the tops are painted with diluted white paint. Are you sure yours isn't ash?

Also, Canola actually a great inexpensive oil. You use it like any other oil. There's tons of info online and on this forum regarding oils to use for soap with "benefits" and recommended amounts. Just remember to run your recipes through a calculator.

I agree
I love using Sunflower Oil and Canola Oil as the major oils - cheap and effective and incredibly conditioning for the skin - And I have the WORST skin - been a beach baby - outdoor nut - all my life - so now look like a sun damaged prune that has been dehydrated.

Latest posts

Back