Weigh in on a debate ...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Primrose

Reaction score
So I'm having somewhat of a debate and would like to know your thoughts ...

What do you consider room temperature CP soap?

The way I learned was that you melt your solid oils until they are just clear but not heated up, they should be around room temp and not warm to touch the outside of the bowl.

Then I learned about the heat transfer CP method where you use the hot lye water to melt the solid oils.

I have been talking to someone who insists that room temp CP is what I know as heat transfer CP method.

I suppose it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things but I'm just curious to see what terms the majority of people use

To me room temp means the oils are the same temp as the surrounding air. If you have to heat the oils, then its not room temp.

I agree on the heat transfer method is using hot lye solution to melt solid oils

I am of the same opinion as Obsidian expressed.

But as to heating hard oils until clear and waiting for them to reach room temp, that would make some of them get hard again, so even if they may be room temperature, how is that helpful? Soaping at RT is fine for oils that remain liquid at RT, but for a high percentage of hard oils, I usually don't let them cool to RT.

Room Temperature, simply means that objects are at the same temperature as the rest of the room. In the winter, my RT is much cooler than my summer RT, because I keep my house cool in the winter and warm in the summer.

Count me as a third for the heat transfer as room temp.

I’ll also add the note that everyone’s room temp is different so the definition may end up very loose. I have maybe 1 week a year where my coconut oil is liquid at room temp but someone in Texas has the opposite. If the person in Texas stores their solid oils in the fridge, then the warming till clear option is room temp.

Room temp for me is my oils are slightly cloudy when I soap them. Using 45% tallow and 25% lard. My 45% -50% palm I soap when it is just clear and my bucket is just warm to the touch on the outside

Back