Weekend soaps

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackDog

Reaction score
With the three-day holiday weekend, I was able to try out a couple new fragrance oils. Here we have a top and cut pic of BB's Cucumber Melon with a hanger swirl, and a cut pic of BB's Pomegranate & Black Currant using Auntie Clara's ghost swirl technique. I love both so far; I hope they stick!

2sail47.jpg

2z9bhux.jpg

2s9qavr.jpg

Wow, the color combination on the top one is gorgeous! The ghost technique one is really pretty too. I don't think I've see that with color before.

Wow, the color combination on the top one is gorgeous! The ghost technique one is really pretty too. I don't think I've see that with color before.

Thank you snappy; I was trying to tone down the orange a bit (the only orange I have is a neon, but I wanted melon colors) with TD. It's still a bit brighter than I wanted so I guess I'll have to go mica shopping :twisted:

These are gorgeous, Blackdog! One of these days I want to try that ghost swirl. You did all that simply with water content & heat? Amazing! It has been a productive weekend for you.

Thank you, earlene. Yes, the middle swirled portion was low water (1.4:1) and the outside was high (2.4:1). I colored both with the same mica mix and did a simple Taiwan swirl.

Both are beautiful! I'm very interested to know what happens to the ghost swirl soap. Very impressive !

Auntie Clara lays it all out in her blog post.
I only got the courage to try this because it was the December challenge here on SMF. (Thanks again, newbie!) So if you read through the thread and watch the videos, there's a lot of great info there as well.

Absolutely gorgeous soaps. I love the orange too and your ghost swirl is beautiful!

Thank you for all the lovely compliments, soapy friends. I have learned so much here in just under a year! Much of what I've done would never have been learned or attempted without the shared knowledge of so many soapers here. And I feel like I've only scratched the surface!

Wonderful soaps! I love your ghost swirl and want to try it with a solid color like you did. Been biting my nails trying to figure out how to get both batches colored exactly the same so the swirl is accomplished only by the differing lye concentrations. Thanks so much for showing it can be done, and for the info about the SMF tutorials!

Been biting my nails trying to figure out how to get both batches colored exactly the same so the swirl is accomplished only by the differing lye concentrations.

This was the part that puzzled me too, but in the end I just mixed up my colorant and eyeballed a 1/3 - 2/3 split, which was my batter split, and it turned out fine. Go for it!

You have inspired me to make my first attempt at a ghost swirl. Not sure how it will look, but it was fun trying. I did that this morning & it is still gelling.

Make sure you cut it early! Low water soap should be cut at about 8 hours. Ask me how I know this!

And good luck :)

Back