Weak and waxy hot throw, please help!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reto Spescha

Reaction score
Hello,
I am new to candle making and I am sure this has been discussed before, but I just wonder if you could help me with a fresh opinion. I am using 464 golden brands wax and I use about 8%-10% fragrance oils in my testing candles. Now the cold throw is amazing, however, the hot throw seems weak or actually the a soapy/waxy scent is overpowering the scent it should have. Here my questions:
1) I have made the candles 2 days ago, is this a too short of a time to test the hot throw? Does it need curing?
2) Does it matter at what temp I mix the fragrance with the wax?
3) Can you guys recommend me a reputable Fragrance Oil company that sells good performing oils?

Thank you so much! With best regards from Switzerland,
Reto

First what is the scent?
Second, where did you buy the scent from? With you in Switzerland, it's going to be hard for me to recommend a supplier, as I only know/buy from the States.

I have made the candles 2 days ago, is this a too short of a time to test the hot throw? Does it need curing?
Yes, soy wax needs to cure at least 10 days to 2 weeks to get the optimal hot throw - however, some scents are just weak throwers, and some scents just do not work in soy.

Does it matter at what temp I mix the fragrance with the wax?
Yes, I'm not sure what that temp is for 464 as I don't work with soy at all, but it should be warm enough to fully incorporate the scent - I think the manufacturer/supplier of the wax should be able to tell you.

Can you guys recommend me a reputable Fragrance Oil company that sells good performing oils?
As mentioned before, I can give you suppliers here in the States, as there are many, but shipping to Switzerland might be too expensive.

Hi. I work with soy wax in the UK. I believe it’s best to add the fragrance oil at around 130 degrees f. Essential oils also at this low temperature. Also a lot of soy waxes like 7-8% as a percentage of the total wax content.

I’ve had candles smell a bit waxy at times and I think it might have been because I let the temp go as low as 120 before adding oils - by this time wax had started to get a teeny bit cloudy. This also caused a few air bubbles during the burn.

It’s all trial and error but suppliers of wax do give good info on their sites.

When I looked at the Golden Brand 464 info, it says pour temp should be 135 F, plus or minus 5 degrees.

I don't make candles but I do make a lot of soy wax melts. I typically heat the wax to approx 160 F, stir in my color until the wax cools to about 150 F then add scent. I stir that until it's the temp I want to pour. By heating a bit more, it gives me time to get everything completely mixed in before the pour. Then I let them cure a minimum of a week but I prefer longer.

Thanks a lot for all your help! I guess this just needs a little testing and most of all curing. I guess I was a little bit too impatient trying to test the hot throw just after 24hrs of curing.

First what is the scent?
Second, where did you buy the scent from? With you in Switzerland, it's going to be hard for me to recommend a supplier, as I only know/buy from the States.
I buy my scents in the UK, I know, a lot of companies in the US sell fragrance oils.

Yes, soy wax needs to cure at least 10 days to 2 weeks to get the optimal hot throw - however, some scents are just weak throwers, and some scents just do not work in soy.
Thanks, I guess I need to be more patient.

Yes, I'm not sure what that temp is for 464 as I don't work with soy at all, but it should be warm enough to fully incorporate the scent - I think the manufacturer/supplier of the wax should be able to tell you.
I does.

As mentioned before, I can give you suppliers here in the States, as there are many, but shipping to Switzerland might be too expensive.
It's usually not the price, it's that they are considered hazardous goods and most companies are not shipping...

Hi. I work with soy wax in the UK. I believe it’s best to add the fragrance oil at around 130 degrees f. Essential oils also at this low temperature. Also a lot of soy waxes like 7-8% as a percentage of the total wax content.

I’ve had candles smell a bit waxy at times and I think it might have been because I let the temp go as low as 120 before adding oils - by this time wax had started to get a teeny bit cloudy. This also caused a few air bubbles during the burn.

It’s all trial and error but suppliers of wax do give good info on their sites.
Hi Yvonne, thanks for your advice, have you had any experience with Kerasoy?

When I looked at the Golden Brand 464 info, it says pour temp should be 135 F, plus or minus 5 degrees.

I don't make candles but I do make a lot of soy wax melts. I typically heat the wax to approx 160 F, stir in my color until the wax cools to about 150 F then add scent. I stir that until it's the temp I want to pour. By heating a bit more, it gives me time to get everything completely mixed in before the pour. Then I let them cure a minimum of a week but I prefer longer.
Hello Krista, thank you for your advice, I will try to follow ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back