We should have an ugly baked goods thread ...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can also do apple butter. You follow the same process as jules sets out, but you let it cook for much longer. It gets very dark, and rich. Pretty amazing stuff

Omg ! That really sounds amazing ! I'm going to try it someday ! Thanks for the tips !

Do these qualify? I'm British, I can't make cookies. These were supposed to be double chocolate chip. They are weird and more like 'cakies' than cookies.

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1427656419.631578.jpg

Do these qualify? I'm British, I can't make cookies. These were supposed to be double chocolate chip. They are weird and more like 'cakies' than cookies.

View attachment 13364

Nothing wrong with that! You now have mini-cakes! Besides, they're chocolate, which is able to make up for a multitude of weirdness (if you ask me). :razz:

IrishLass :)

Oh my!...I can just smell the baking apple goodness! Brings me back to my childhood when my mom would make baked apples. Nothing like the smell of home baked treats wafting through the house. Summerflyy, your flatmates are mighty lucky :) Saponista, how could you possibly call anything made with chocolate weird? They look yummy! The crispy goodness of a cookie and a chewy cake all in one? What can be bad about that?

View attachment 13364

Those look amazingly delicious! My favorite cookie recipe is also kind of cakie...they're a pumpkin cookie with oatmeal and chocolate chips that my mom made and I have to make every year too :)

Saponista ! Don't worry about that, you could just say that you meant for that to happen !

On a side note, if it's too cake-like, might be something to do with the flour or the amount of sugar ?

Oh my!...I can just smell the baking apple goodness! Brings me back to my childhood when my mom would make baked apples. Nothing like the smell of home baked treats wafting through the house. Summerflyy, your flatmates are mighty lucky :) Saponista, how could you possibly call anything made with chocolate weird? They look yummy! The crispy goodness of a cookie and a chewy cake all in one? What can be bad about that?

The smell of baking apple is absolutely delicious !!! I love it when my mum makes these ! And if you prefer sweeter tarts, use gala apples and if you prefer tart, use granny smith. I remade the tarts the other day with granny smith and it was a little too sour for my liking.

But my flatmates love it !

Omg Biarine, that cake looks nice ! I love cakes ! Chiffon cakes are one of my favourites :) !

Thanks everyone.

I think my problem is somewhere in the ingredients summerflyy. I used an American recipe but only had British ingredients, I wasn't sure what all purpose flour was so I used plain flour ( I think it is the same thing but not certain) and there was a discrepancy with the sugar too, but I can't remember what the problem was with that! Oh well as everyone else said, nothing is that bad if it contains chocolate!

Thanks everyone.

I think my problem is somewhere in the ingredients summerflyy. I used an American recipe but only had British ingredients, I wasn't sure what all purpose flour was so I used plain flour ( I think it is the same thing but not certain) and there was a discrepancy with the sugar too, but I can't remember what the problem was with that! Oh well as everyone else said, nothing is that bad if it contains chocolate!

Yes all purpose and plain flour are the same. I used just plain flour here UK and used either white or brown sugar in my baking then raw cocoa powder from beanfreak shop

Thanks everyone.

Yep- trying to figure out good subs for different country's flours can sure be a bugger. The flour we call 'all-purpose' here in the US is stronger in protein content than the UK 'plain flour', and so some adjustments may be needed when substituting, depending on what you are baking, which is something I found out in my quest to try to make a good pie crust. For what it's worth, the crust recipe I was following used the classic/standard European ratio of 50% butter to weight of the flour, but with my higher protein US all-purpose flour, I kept having many more 'misses' than 'hits' and I couldn't figure out why. It wasn't until I read the following blog that the sky opened up for me, and now I have a 100% success rate with my all-purpose flour crusts coming out the way I want them: http://www.forloveofthetable.com/2011/10/tender-flakya-tutorial-on-short-crust.html

The biggest thing I took away from the blog that reversed the crust curse for me was that instead of the classic ratio of using '50% as much butter as per the weight of flour', I learned that I had to make the adjustment of using 75% as much butter as per flour weight whenever using my higher protein content US all-purpose flour. It works like a charm for me.

Anyway, here is a website that suggests that if you are following an American recipe and subbing in 'UK plain flour' for 'American all-purpose', that you should increase the amount of plain flour a 'tidge': http://www.cooksinfo.com/all-purpose-flour And another website with good flour equivalents: http://www.danlepard.com/2013/01/10/coming-on-strong/ .........and one more: http://usingmainlyspoons.com/2011/11/17/10-tips-for-baking-from-american-blogs-in-the-uk/

Alternatively, you can always swap a little of your plain flour amount for some gluten flour or vital wheat gluten in your recipe to increase the protein content to better match the equivalent of US all-purpose flour. Doing so will make things come out less cake-like.

IrishLass :)

baked good are never ugly unless they are burned to the point of being inedible. I would even eat the scary hedgie cake.

xuweb-pinterest6.jpg

Latest posts

Back