We should have an ugly baked goods thread ...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

summerflyy

Reaction score
So I've not been soaping much since I am at uni now and I don't have any of my mold or equipment and it's now nearing the end of the academic year anyway (I will make sure to correct this the next acad year in Sept)

But I've been baking ! I had some apples that are a week past their best before so I decided to make some apple tarts to use them up.

Looks-wise ? Not the best.

Taste-wise ? THEY ARE SO GOOOOOD.

While I was mixing up the dough, the smell of butter was absolutely intoxicating.

My flatmates really loved it and wanted me to make more the next time round ! (I would !)

If anyone is interested in the recipe:

Apple filling:
5 apples (red if you like it sweet, green if you like it slightly sour)
2 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp corn starch
1 tbsp water

Peel and slice apples thinly then put in a saucepan on medium heat to soften the apples. Stir from time to time to ensure that all the apples are being softened. Do so for 10 mins, or until softened.

When it's ready, pour in 2 tbsp of sugar and stir well to dissolve. Dissolve the corn flour in the water and mix it up. When sugar is dissolved, add in the corn flour to thicken the filling up. (Or if you don't think it's thick enough, you can add a little more)

When done, leave to cool.

Tart Pastry:
300 g of plain flour
60g of sugar
125g of butter
1 egg, lightly beaten.

Combine plain flour, sugar and butter. Mix it till it reaches breadcrumbs-like texture. Add in the egg and make into a dough.

If you are using small individual moulds like I did, get some of the dough, roll it into a ball and then flatten with your palm and fingers, make it into a circle (or as circular as possible) then press it into the mould, adjusting it as you go.

If you are using a loaf mould or if you are using a pie mould, roll the 1/2 of the dough between two plastic wrap till it reaches 1/2 inch thickness and press in your mould.

Then spoon in your apple fillings. Cover the fillings with pastry and then use a fork and poke some holes in them.

Bake at 180 degrees celsius for 30mins or golden brown.

:D !
ImageUploadedBySoap Making1426437568.429690.jpgImageUploadedBySoap Making1426437577.178460.jpg

@sageonmountain and @seawolfe

Yes ! They don't have the best looks but they are really nice ! This is the recipe my mum always uses and it just taste so beautifully awesome !
I am thinking of buying some tart molds so that they would look better !

I don't think they look bad at all! They look handmade and delicious which is much better than the perfect, machine made junk you get in a store. I'm sure your flatmates think you're the best making such yummy treats that don't include all the additives and preservatives that come in processed food. Nice work!

@KristaY

Thanks Krista ! My flatmates do love it though I found it not sweet enough so I may want to try using different types of apples instead !

I'd like to offer my services as an appropriate disposal site for all your "ugly" baked goods.

Seriously, you haven't seen ugly until you've seen my cakes. /shame

Those look yummy!

Looks delicious to me
Thank you ! They taste really delicious too ! (Well, at least that's what everyone says. I am afraid that they are too polite to tell me otherwise)

Those look delicious!!
It's really yummy ! And they smell SOOOOOO good !

I'd like to offer my services as an appropriate disposal site for all your "ugly" baked goods.

Seriously, you haven't seen ugly until you've seen my cakes. /shame

Those look yummy!
Haha ! I am sure it's not that bad ! You could share some photos of your baked goods as well ! This is really fun !

They look great to me! :thumbup:

IrishLass :)
They are really nice !

In the end, I succumbed to temptation and got myself some tart moulds and they should arrive this week. I am going to make this recipe again with Granny Smith Apples and make some jam tarts for the Sunday Roast as well ! We will see how it goes ! :D !

I agree with everyone above!

If you're still concerned about how your baked goods look....a dusting of confectionary (powder, icing...not sure what you'd call in in the UK) sugar
will fix it up.

I agree with everyone above!

If you're still concerned about how your baked goods look....a dusting of confectionary (powder, icing...not sure what you'd call in in the UK) sugar
will fix it up.

OH. I just have some icing sugar too ! I might try it the next time round ! Thanks for the suggestion !

I have to agree that they do not look bad at all. I love homemade to look homemade and not professional. Bet they are delicious and thank you for the recipe. I am going to make some this weekend.

Yay ! Tell me what you think of the recipe ! I would suggest adding a bit more sugar to the apples when you are cooking them ! When I was making this, I did add a little bit more sugar than the recipe called for.

They sure look better than my homemade applesauce and that stuff rocks my world!

AWW ! Thanks ! Would you mind sharing the recipe ? Of course you don't have to if you don't want to ! I think homemade applesauce would be so much nicer than store bought ones !

It's so easy - peel and slice 12 apples, I personally prefer 8 gala/fuji apples to 4 granny smith, perfect balance of sweet to tart but you can certainly switch it up to your preference. Put slices in a deep sauce pot, sprinkle with a good helping of cinnamon (maybe 2 tbsp) and let it cook over medium heat (you do not need to add water). Usually takes about 30 minutes to soften everything up. Stir occasionally. Most slices will already reach applesauce consistency but there might be a few larger pieces so I mash with a potato masher for good measure.

I serve it warm with a dollop of whipped cream for a nice dessert.

It's so easy - peel and slice 12 apples, I personally prefer 8 gala/fuji apples to 4 granny smith, perfect balance of sweet to tart but you can certainly switch it up to your preference. Put slices in a deep sauce pot, sprinkle with a good helping of cinnamon (maybe 2 tbsp) and let it cook over medium heat (you do not need to add water). Usually takes about 30 minutes to soften everything up. Stir occasionally. Most slices will already reach applesauce consistency but there might be a few larger pieces so I mash with a potato masher for good measure.

I serve it warm with a dollop of whipped cream for a nice dessert.

That sounds delicious ! Sounds like something to try soon ! Thanks ! I think the applesauce would go very nicely with a pork chop or honey roasted pork slices !

Latest posts

Back